Crime Detective Mystery Thriller Group discussion

Favorite Authors/Books/Series > Inspector O by James Church

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) One of my favorite detectives is Inspector O of James Church's series set in North Korea.

Not actually written by a Korean; however, the author is a former Western intelligence officer with decades of experience in Asia.

Inspector O is one of the more unique detectives. One of his idiosyncrasies is his focus on wood. He always has to have a wood chip in his hand to think.

A quote of his from A Drop of Chinese Blood:
"My grandfather would say a place without trees is a place that can't be read. I never understood what he meant. Now I do. Who knows what this place has in mind? Too much sky. Everything is so far apart, nothing has any idea how it relates to anything else. We might as well be on one of Jupiter's Moons."

Inspector O was going through Mongolia. But, I remember a similar feeling travelling through North Dakota.

message 2: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Another great quote by Inspector O:
"Even a dead end leads somewhere, nephew. Just not where most people want to go."

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 31, 2014 08:05PM) (new)

Tell you what Kirsten. Since we had James Church up as a showcase author for a vote in a future group read, I decided to bring him back again since you recommended him. If you want, you can move the comments to that folder and let's see if other people would be interested in voting for him.

message 4: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Which folder? Showcase or Showcase 2? Sorry if I posted in the wrong place. Inspector O is one of my favorites and I would love to share him.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

No problem. No hard and fast rules here. I don't think you knew that I had him up here at one time. You'll find him in Showcase two.

message 6: by Harriet (new)

Harriet (harrietstay) | 39 comments I, too, love the Inspector O books by James Church. I found them in 2008 and read the first three and I recommend they be read in order: A Corpse in the Koryo, Hidden Moon, Bamboo and Blood, and in 2010: The Man with the Baltic Stare. KIRSTEN -- the title you mention, A Drop of Chinese Blood, is not part of the Inspector O series. He started a new series in 2012 with O's nephew Bing. There hasn't been any additional books since. I did not like the last one with his nephew, in fact, so much so, I gave up and didn't finish it. I wonder if the last didn't sell as the others and he lost his contract? In any case, that's the lot of them.

In my notes on the Baltic Stare I've written that I found the setting and people fascinating, provides informative information about life in a place hidden from most of us, and the first person narrative is written in a poetic flow with an underlying sense of humor, certainly a touch necessary to contrast the hardships of the country. Sure beats the same ole, same ole tired plots and feats of super-human heroes. I also noted that, in some small way, they reminded me of the Dr. Siri books by Colin Cotterill.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

If you want to put a vote in James Church's folder under showcase 2, then we can consider him in a group read vote for December if we get more people to vote for him.

message 8: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Harriet wrote: "I, too, love the Inspector O books by James Church. I found them in 2008 and read the first three and I recommend they be read in order: A Corpse in the Koryo, Hidden Moon, Bamboo and Blood, and in..."

Inspector O is in A Drop of Chinese Blood. I do agree it's not as good as the earlier books, but I still love it.

It does remind me of the Dr Siri books. I started those before Inspector O, but I haven't read them all yet.

I love these world mysteries, because they give you an idea how law & justice is handled in other legal systems.

Crime Detective Mystery Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Drop of Chinese Blood (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

James Church (other topics)