Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Master and Margarita
This topic is about The Master and Margarita
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Bulgakov, Mikhail - The Master and Margarita - Informal Buddy Read; Start December 13, 2014

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31132 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion about The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov

Book synopsis:
Mikhail Bulgakov's devastating satire of Soviet life was written during the darkest period of Stalin's regime. Combining two distinct yet interwoven parts—one set in ancient Jerusalem, one in contemporary Moscow—the novel veers from moods of wild theatricality with violent storms, vampire attacks, and a Satanic ball; to such somber scenes as the meeting of Pilate and Yeshua, and the murder of Judas in the moonlit garden of Gethsemane; to the substanceless, circus-like reality of Moscow. Its central characters, Woland (Satan) and his retinue—including the vodka-drinking black cat, Behemoth; the poet, Ivan Homeless; Pontius Pilate; and a writer known only as The Master, and his passionate companion, Margarita—exist in a world that blends fantasy and chilling realism, an artful collage of grotesqueries, dark comedy, and timeless ethical questions.

Though completed in 1940, "The Master and Margarita" wasn't published in Moscow until 1966, when the first part appeared in the magazine "Moskva." It was an immediate and enduring success: audiences responded with great enthusiasm to its expression of artistic and spiritual freedom.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 4: by Margaret (new) - added it

Margaret (everlastinggrace) This is going to be good! I am in!

message 5: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy (nancyhelen) | 1469 comments I am in too - I'm fascinated by this book and I have no idea what to expect.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I've decided I'm in for this one too! :)

message 7: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) This book has been sitting on my shelf for years. I guess it's about time I dusted it off so count me in, too. December is stacking up to be a month full of classics for me so far.

message 8: by Shinjini (new) - added it

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 292 comments I'm in for this one. :)

message 9: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin (kait-k) | 451 comments I'm in.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I'm in.

message 11: by Rose (new) - added it

Rose | 602 comments I'm in.

message 12: by Rick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rick Slane has mostly recovered from covid Can't wait to see what y'all think

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I've been wanting to read this for a really long time.

message 14: by Snowtulip (new)

Snowtulip | 4450 comments So I started this morning and read through Ch. 4. This book gives off the same vibe as when I read Kafka on the Shore.

(view spoiler)

message 15: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 3273 comments Don't see much discussion yet. I hope to start the audio in a few days. I am also listening to The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle - which is a little strange.

Snowtulip, it is also Marukami - so now I am expecting strange - if in fact Kafka on the Shore was strange.

message 16: by Snowtulip (new)

Snowtulip | 4450 comments Sarah wrote: "Don't see much discussion yet. I hope to start the audio in a few days. I am also listening to The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle - which is a little strange.

Snowtulip, it is also Marukami -..."

Sarah, strange is correct!

I like Murakami, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and Kafka on the Shore are his most unique stories, in my opinion :)

I haven't gotten far enough into The Master and Margarita, but I'm thinking it will keep me on my toes :)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I am so far behind on both The Wind Up Bird Chronicle and this one. Might have to take a second too...had a little blip in terms of my thesis getting done lol

message 18: by Snowtulip (new)

Snowtulip | 4450 comments Congrats on your thesis!

message 19: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 3273 comments Taryn - I am behind on these two as well.

Gonna start the audio for this tonight.

message 20: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 3273 comments OK I started - and what can I say - I am enjoying the cast of eclectic characters, the dialogue is quite enjoyable and at the same time I think this is way over my head. I don't even know how to begin to discuss this book? I am listening to the audio and the names and number of characters are difficult to follow. But I like the book - go figure.

message 21: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy (nancyhelen) | 1469 comments I haven't even managed to start this one yet with so many other books on the go, but I'll get there eventually. I was aware this wasn't going to be an 'easy' read by any stretch of the imagination...

message 22: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 3273 comments Is anyone still planning to read this?

message 23: by Margaret (new) - added it

Margaret (everlastinggrace) I decided that it will be too fantastical for me :) plus I have so many BRs going on and I rather read the ones that will keep my interest. :)