Devon Book Club discussion

Archive > Books that moved me

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (last edited Nov 01, 2014 12:13AM) (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
A new thread, after the revelation that Little Womenmade Carol cry and Bilal's Bread: A Noveldid the same to me. Just to show that I am in touch with my emotions I can tell you that, in my childhood, Redcap Runs Away left me weeping every time I read it and my daughter recently bought me a copy (as its out of print) and mine had been lost/disintegrated; also that The Book Thief did the same to me more recently.

So, what has left you reaching for the tissues or moved you in some other way?

message 2: by Helen (new)

Helen | 105 comments The Boy in the stripped pyjamasThe Boy in the Striped Pajamas was quite a moving book, along with Schindler's ArkSchindler's List and a Fine BalanceA Fine Balance.

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
Helen wrote: "The Boy in the stripped pyjamasThe Boy in the Striped Pajamas was quite a moving book, along with Schindler's ArkSchindler's List and a Fine Balance[book:A Fine Balance|5..."

Saw Scindler's factory on a visit to the Jewish quarter in Krakow. Very sobering.

message 4: by Alison (new)

Alison Gallant | 3 comments I've just finished The Good Father and I found this an amazingly complex and emotional book. A real tear jerker but really thought provoking as well.

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
Alison wrote: "I've just finished The Good Father and I found this an amazingly complex and emotional book. A real tear jerker but really thought provoking as well."

Thanks Alison. There are a number of titles of that name. Might you add the book by clicking on add book/author so we can see which onew you are referring to? Bunch of softies aren't we?

message 6: by Alison (new)

Alison Gallant | 3 comments Ian wrote: "Alison wrote: "I've just finished The Good Father and I found this an amazingly complex and emotional book. A real tear jerker but really thought provoking as well."

Thanks Alison. There are a num..."

This is the one I meant The Good Father

message 7: by Angela (new)

Angela Hobbs | 222 comments Long Walk to Freedomby Nelson Mandela certainly moved me when I read it some years ago. So did The Book Thief and All Quiet on the Western Front.

message 8: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
Alison wrote: "Ian wrote: "Alison wrote: "I've just finished The Good Father and I found this an amazingly complex and emotional book. A real tear jerker but really thought provoking as well."

Thanks Alison. The..."

had a look at the book details - another one for my ever-growing to read list

message 9: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
Angela wrote: "Long Walk to Freedomby Nelson Mandela certainly moved me when I read it some years ago. So did The Book Thief and All Quiet on the Western Front."

All Quiet on the Western Front - great book and certainly up there. I remember being affected by the experience of soldiers returning home on leave - that their home community had no idea of the reality of war. That it was also a German perspective was powerful and made me reflect on the accident of nationhood and loyalty to country.

message 11: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
Sonia wrote: "So Much for That
The God of Small Things
Birdsong
To the End of the Land
Captain Corelli's Mandolin - Unabridged"

Good call - To the End of the Land is one of my favourites - beautifully written
Birdsong too
Not read So much for That - will check it out

message 12: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Howard | 8 comments 'We are All Completely Besides Ourselves' by Karen Jay Fowler... It didn't make me cry and I felt the ending was rushed BUT it really did make reflect on previous research I have read (Harlow) and cruelty that animals may experience for science.

'The Book Thief'... fantastic, couldn't put the book down and yes, I cried. I love the different perspective of WW2 as well- I had never considered the children in Nazi Germany who were not supportive of the Nazis.

message 13: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
Lizzie wrote: "'We are All Completely Besides Ourselves' by Karen Jay Fowler... It didn't make me cry and I felt the ending was rushed BUT it really did make reflect on previous research I have read (Harlow) and ..."

Many people weren't but had little choice but to publicly support them I think

message 14: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3053 comments Mod
Penny wrote: "A Thousand Splendid Suns is incredibly intense and made me cry (which is rare!)"

Agree - the violence is awful but the thread of dignity that the women maintain is also inspiring. Khaled Hosseiniis a really important writer

message 15: by DrMama (last edited Dec 09, 2014 11:33AM) (new)

DrMama | 332 comments I don't cry easily, and this list comprises the only ones I can think of from the last 12(?) years. I agree with Helen about A Fine Balance, plus I would add: A Long Long Way by Sebastian Barry and The Wasted Vigil by Nadeem Aslam. Most recent fiction weep would be Train Dreams by Denis Johnson. In addition, Wounded: From Battlefield to Blighty, 1914-1918 by Emily Mayhew, but her book consists of real life accounts from WWI, and from all stages and aspects of the war, woven together to give an overall account. Heartbreaking. I have to admit that Little Women always did do it for me, so possibly still would.

message 16: by Alison (new)

Alison Golby | 76 comments As I mentioned in my review of the book, 'The Narrow Road to the Deep North' by Richard Flannagan made me cry recently. The book that always makes me cry, no matter how many times I've read it (starting in childhood) is 'The Incredible Journey' by Sheila Burnford. That moment when Peter is reunited with Bodger gets me every time!