The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > Finished my book goal for this year - what's yours?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 113 (113 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Joanna Chaplin (new)

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments As of yesterday, I finished Ringworld, thus reading all the Sword and Laser books (or at least starting, since I definitely lemmed a few). This has been my goal since August of last year when I decided to join the group. It's been really great expanding my horizons with the group and I look forward to discussions and podcasts to come. I've got a few series to catch up on that the picks have led me to.

Anybody else clearing their reading goals for this year?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Joanna wrote: "As of yesterday, I finished Ringworld, thus reading all the Sword and Laser books (or at least starting, since I definitely lemmed a few). This has been my goal since August of last y..."

That's actually my reading goal starting when I joined recently! To read the main S+L pick, the main VF pick and then a book of my choice in a month. So about 3 books a month. We'll see how that goes. : )

message 3: by Joanna Chaplin (new)

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments Oh, sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I wanted to read all the books Sword and Laser had picked previous. All the ones from this list:

http://swordandlaser.wikia.com/wiki/B...

Like, I said, I lemmed a couple, but I've at least made a good faith attempt at all of these now.

message 4: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 179 comments I need two more books for my challenge.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2859 comments I make reading goals every year. I've done better at reading the authors I targeted than the places. As far as S&L type books go, this was the first year I tried Delany, Zelazny, and M. John Harrison. I'm glad I made those goals! I also set a goal of reading 150 books a year, but usually circle around 200 and try to at least hit that. It looks like I'm at 199 so I think I'll make it!

message 6: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8477 comments I made my number of books (largely due to easy-to-read graphic novels and art books), but I'm not likely to make my over-arching goal of hitting every letter of the alphabet twice. (26 letters, 52 weeks.)

I've come pretty close, though, and I *might* be able to get one book for each letter.

I put the books in two categories: real books and art/photo/graphic novels that don't really count unless I get to a critical mass or it's really substantial. Star Wars: Legacy, Vol. 1: Broken was one such brick that I count as a "real book."

So far I still need E, F, O, Q and W to get to one each. So glad I stumbled across XOM-B.

message 7: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2479 comments I had my Goodreads quantitative reading goal at 60 this year and have already made it.

Personal goals: read one new series or trilogy, catch up on series I have started, clear some of the backlog of physical books I have piled up etc. Managed to read all of the Narnia books this year and the other goals are a work in progress.

message 8: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | 115 comments I set my reading goal this year at 100 books, but then decided I wanted to try and read 10 books a month. So far I'm averaging that, and hit the 100 book mark at the end of October, but I'm not sure how November and December will play out as they are my busiest months at work...

My husband teases me about setting a specific challenge for my reading ("Can't talk, busy reading, I'm 2 books behind this month" has been uttered), but I do find that it helps me focus on reading in a way that sometimes I'll let lapse if I don't have a goal.

message 9: by Fauxley (new)

Fauxley | 15 comments Set my goal for 104 books this year, or roughly 2 a week, and I'm in the mid eighties now, so with a little determination I'll pull through. And I agree, having the goal gives me a little more focus than wondering how I should use my free time.

message 10: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8477 comments I just want to say to those of you who read triple-digit books each year: I envyhate you.

message 11: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Smith (tlsmith-sfauthor) | 2 comments Used to read that voraciously, but now have to write the books. Takes a long time to put out a finished, clean product fit to be in the hands of a reader, but loving it.

message 12: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 1327 comments Yes I finished my goal, but I only had a fifty goal as I was also doing Steven Erikson's Malazan series, which should count as two books instead of one. I should finish with 60 or so I hope.

message 13: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6784 comments Mod
I set a goal of 75 hoping to cut back a bit from last year, but that worked out poorly and I'm already over 100. Although I'd say at least 10 of those are graphic novels.

Trike wrote: "I just want to say to those of you who read triple-digit books each year: I envyhate you."

The only reason I've done over 100 books the last 2 years is due to all the audio I do now. These days the time and my slow reading pace I do more in audio than I actually manage to read.

message 14: by Joanna Chaplin (new)

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments AndrewP wrote: "I had my Goodreads quantitative reading goal at 60 this year and have already made it.

Personal goals: read one new series or trilogy, catch up on series I have started, clear some of the backlog..."

How'd you like Narnia?

message 15: by Joanna Chaplin (last edited Nov 03, 2014 03:39AM) (new)

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments Trike wrote: "I just want to say to those of you who read triple-digit books each year: I envyhate you."

To be fair, I watch almost no television, I don't have kids, and medical reasons put me in various waiting rooms on a monthly basis. I've definitely made reading an explicit priority.

message 16: by Joanna Chaplin (new)

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments Terry wrote: "Used to read that voraciously, but now have to write the books. Takes a long time to put out a finished, clean product fit to be in the hands of a reader, but loving it."

Yeah, one of the big reasons I don't think I want to make my sporadic creative-writing hobby any more than sporadic is that I'd have to give up reading so much! Thanks for being one of the ones to switch over! It looks like so much work!

message 17: by Eric (new)

Eric Mesa (djotaku) | 617 comments I set a conservative goal of 23 thinking MAYBE I'd get to it (full time job, grad school, 2 year old). Then I found myself taking three business trips this calendar year and some of them 8+ hour plane trips so I am now at 51 books with a few months to spare. (Also, went through a bit of a podcast famine, so I listened to a few audiobooks, allowing me to "read" where I might not otherwise - gym, chores, etc) I don't know if I'll go higher than 30 next year because nearly 3 a month is a pretty heady goal, but I'd like to give it a shot.

Lots of you mentioned other kinds of goals. Perhaps after I finish grad school next spring I'll set some goals of series or authors or genres. For now I'm just reading whatever comes my way. Also, I have a pretty long to-read list on GR already.

message 18: by Leif (new)

Leif (leffa) | 19 comments I've got 5 books left to make my goal of 52 books. The plan was to read one book every week, but I'm a few weeks ahead and I don't think I'll slow down.

message 19: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2267 comments I set my goal to 52 books for the year and breezed past that last month. My original thought was that then I could use the rest of the year to sink into some longer, more time-consuming books but I haven't started to do that yet.

But E.R. Eddison's entire Zimiamvia series (The Worm Ouroboros and the Zimiamvian trilogy) are coming out in eBook form in December, so that'll probably take up the end of 2014 and into 2015.

message 20: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2479 comments Joanna wrote: "How'd you like Narnia? "

Not bad and overall I would give the series a 3.5 stars. The first couple chronologically were obviously the best. To me, some parts of the later books seemed to be a bit of a mess. Even though I read them spread out over several months I got a bit tired of the whole 'Aslan saves the day' theme.

message 21: by Joanna Chaplin (new)

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments AndrewP wrote: "Joanna wrote: "How'd you like Narnia? "

Not bad and overall I would give the series a 3.5 stars. The first couple chronologically were obviously the best. To me, some parts of the later books seem..."

I'm always fascinated by how people who didn't read the books as young Christian kids take the series. In my parents' geeky Christian house, Lewis' and Tolkein's works were considered sort of as an inferior extension of Biblical teaching, with more epicness for fun. And even if you buy into the "Aslan as metaphor for Jesus" premise, The Last Battle is still kind of hard to understand.

message 22: by Scott (new)

Scott (dodger1379) | 125 comments My reading goals for the year were...
104 books in total (done)
4 Agatha Christie books (done)
Finally read Mistborn (done)
Finally read Leviathan Wakes (currently reading)
Re-read the entire Little House series (3 left to go)d
Re-read Stone of Farewell (done)
I should have no problem completing all goals although my reading has really slowed down in the past month (too many time commitments)

message 23: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | 115 comments Trike wrote: "I just want to say to those of you who read triple-digit books each year: I envyhate you."

I think the combination of not having children + being a fast reader is what makes it for me. Oh, and reading on my phone - I can spend an extra few minutes here and there reading during the day which do add up.

I lost my attention span for fun books when it was essentially my job to read; that has only come back slowly in the last few years and it's entirely down to ebooks. I always thought I'd be the type of person to loathe reading proper books on a screen (history person + physical book lover right here) but it turns out it's a great match for me.

message 24: by Ken (last edited Nov 03, 2014 11:20AM) (new)

Ken (kanthr) | 334 comments I don't really do goals. I just read.

So, can't really say how I'm doing. I'm just reading. There's not a quantity or quality focus. I just pick up a new book when I finish one. I don't have a need to motivate myself to read, it's just kind of a natural thing. And I don't want my reading to become a 'job' where I feel I need to meet certain criteria. So I just keep reading what interests me and that's it.

message 25: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3949 comments Joanna wrote: "As of yesterday, I finished Ringworld..."

FWIW, Protector is pretty great. The collection of shorts "Tales of Known Space" is good too. Both are in the same universe.

message 26: by Joanna Chaplin (last edited Nov 03, 2014 11:31AM) (new)

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments Kenneth wrote: "I don't really do goals. I just read.

So, can't really say how I'm doing. I'm just reading. There's not a quantity or quality focus. I just pick up a new book when I finish one. I don't have a nee..."

And that's also a fine and wonderful thing. I can get so caught up in goals, so that what's supposed to be a tool for helping becomes a chore. But this one was a fun challenge.

message 27: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Smith (tlsmith-sfauthor) | 2 comments It's a lot of work, but the when someone loves it, can't feel better. We're nothing without fans and only as good as the last book.

message 28: by Drew (new)

Drew (fudderduds) I am three books away from hitting my Goodreads quantity goal of 40. I'm a full-time student or I would have surpassed that goal by at least double by now. I keep letting reading about accounting distract me from reading about space ships and wizards :D

I never set a goal on what kind of books or what authors to read. My tastes tend to change throughout the year, for instance I almost always want to read a military or hard sci-fi around April and something about ghosts in October.

message 29: by Eric (new)

Eric Mesa (djotaku) | 617 comments Drew wrote: "I am three books away from hitting my Goodreads quantity goal of 40. I'm a full-time student or I would have surpassed that goal by at least double by now. I keep letting reading about accounting d..."

I've done the same although, having seen others' goals I can see the appeal. I keep hearing everyone talk about Heinlein, maybe I can set a goal to read at least one of his books, for example.

message 30: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3949 comments Never...read...Heinlein? *quizzical dog look*

I'm torn on what to recommend. Stranger in a Strange Land is probably his most famous. Moon is a Harsh Mistress his best, but you have to take the bigoted statements as belonging to the character and not the author. Starship Troopers great but often misunderstood. Any one of those would be well worth reading.

message 31: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2479 comments Scott wrote: "My reading goals for the year were...

Re-read Stone of Farewell (done)
."

I'm curious, did you just do 'Stone of Farewell', or did you reread the whole trilogy?

message 32: by Scott (new)

Scott (dodger1379) | 125 comments Since I like a little time between each book in a series my goal is to read one book in the series per year so....I read The Dragonbone Chair last year, this year it's Stone of Farewell and next year will be To Green Angel Tower.
I refuse to read a series unless it's finished because I don't like to wait five years between books BUT I don't like to read them back to back, I like to let the story percolate.

message 33: by Steve (new)

Steve | 9 comments I've reached my goal (50 books), and my modified goal (100) already of total books read, but I've never even thought about setting a goal based on authors or specific series. I've got the entire Mazatlan Empire series on my tablet, and I'm thinking one a month for 2015. That's over 9000 pages in that series alone, if I remember right.

Does Goodreads have a way to set goals other than number of books?

message 34: by Joanna Chaplin (new)

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments Eric wrote: "Drew wrote: "I am three books away from hitting my Goodreads quantity goal of 40. I'm a full-time student or I would have surpassed that goal by at least double by now. I keep letting reading about..."

Oh, Heinlein. I love his vision of a wonderful, growing, colonizing civilization. But you have to deal with the fact that he really seemed to think that polyamory would solve all number of social problems and that all women are wonderful, competent goddesses who in their heart of hearts want to have lots of babies.

But still, I'm fond of this quote although I don't live up to it.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

message 35: by Rob, Roberator (last edited Nov 04, 2014 02:44PM) (new)

@Steve

You may find the discussion in the Malazan Fallen group helpful. We have detailed spoiler free discussion of every chapter.

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

message 36: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4142 comments Some of my goals this year are unobtainable until December, as one of my goals was directly related to the calendar. ;) My goals were:
1) Read every S&L pick (or at least try it) - check, so far
2) Read 52 books+ - not complete yet, but at 46, so don't anticipate any issues
3) Read down my tbr_2014 bookshelf - 19 of 46 read this year from the 190 on the list, so 90% coverage so far...most of the other books I read were for SFFAudio.com or were S&L picks, so at least by that metric, I've done alright

So assuming I read the December pick and assuming I finish 6 more books (should be easy), I'll meet all of my goals. Anything on "tbr_2014" that wasn't read this year will be moved to the "tbr_2015" list, which will also be added to...

message 37: by Steve (new)

Steve | 9 comments Rob wrote: "@Steve

You may find the discussion in the Malazan Fallen group helpful. We have detailed spoiler free discussion of every chapter.

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/..."

Thanks!

message 38: by Clyde (new)

Clyde (wishamc) | 415 comments I've reached my goal of 52 (one book a week) with 57 already. I think I'll set next year's goal at 70.

Just for fun I listed the books read so far in 2014 by category (my bookshelves). (There are more than 57 because many are cross-genre.)

Science fiction: 23
Crime fiction: 10
Fantasy: 7
Military: 7
Suspense-thriller: 6
Historical fiction: 5
History: 3
Techno-thriller: 3
Alternate history: 3
Romance: 3
Biography: 2
Post-apocalyptic: 2
Humor: 2
Classic: 2
Science: 2
Socio-political: 2
Young adult: 1

Humm ... I seem a little short on history and science this year; two months left to fix that.

message 39: by Rob, Roberator (new)

@Steve You're welcome.

Hmm. You've got me tempted to do that sort of break down too Clyde. It would take me a bit to do that though.

I also want to break down format (paper, ebook, audio). I wish good reads had some more statistics in this regard. I like the stuff they do have..but for book nerds they could do some really fun stuff with the data they have.

message 40: by Eric (new)

Eric Mesa (djotaku) | 617 comments Joanna wrote: "Eric wrote: "Drew wrote: "I am three books away from hitting my Goodreads quantity goal of 40. I'm a full-time student or I would have surpassed that goal by at least double by now. I keep letting ..."

Yeah, I've heard there's a lot to be desired when you're a modern person reading it. Asimov can be like that, too. Foundation Series is almost exclusively men. And his women tend to be written as men with lady parts.

Scott wrote: "Since I like a little time between each book in a series my goal is to read one book in the series per year so....I read The Dragonbone Chair last year, this year it's Stone of Farewell and next ye..."

Interesting. I feel the opposite way. I want to keep reading series back-to-back. I tend to get more of the references and inside jokes that way.

message 41: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2479 comments Rob wrote: "I also want to break down format (paper, ebook, audio). I wish good reads had some more statistics in this regard. I like the stuff they do have..but for book nerds they could do some really fun stuff with the data they have. I wis..."

I created bookshelves for Audio and eBook. As long as you don't check the exclusive box you can put a book into as many as you want.

message 42: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Yeah, I know I could, but then I'd have to create really granular shelves (ie ebooks-2014) or count by hand. I want something a little more automated.

So I started a spreadsheet. Entering data won't be very efficient this late in the year, but it will be much easier to do moving forward. If I get really obsessed, I'll probably go back and do 2013 and maybe 2012 (though I have incomplete data from that year).

I've always been rather disappointed at the statistics good reads offers, among other things like lack of support for multiple read dates and proper audio book support.

Now I can answer a bunch of questions I find interesting like:

1) How many books of a particular Genre did I read?
2) How many pages did I read (without audio books screwing that up like it does in good reads)?
3) How many hours of audio books did I listen to?
4) What's the average page count/number of hours per book?

I'm sure I'll think of some other questions along the way too. My preference would be if I could scrape the date from good reads directly and then run my calculations against that.

message 43: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Oh and what I really want is word counts because page counts aren't very informative when font/page size makes that very from book to book. That would at least make it easier to compare book lengths.

Though it still doesn't factor in the difficulty of the read. I could read 1000 words of a YA book a lot faster than 1000 words of say Malazan Book of the Fallen. And there is a lot of granularity between.

None of it really matters to anyone but me I'm sure, but I find quantifying things fun/interesting for some reason. ^_^

message 44: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2479 comments Rob wrote: "I'm sure I'll think of some other questions along the way too. My preference would be if I could scrape the date from good reads directly and then run my calculations against that. "

You can export all your data from Goodreads as a .csv file, that might be a good start. The option is in 'My Books', near the bottom of the menu on the left. I have used to it make a backup of Goodreads data.

message 45: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Yeah. I've done that too. I try to back up my data every so often. I'm probably overdue at this point

I guess I can write a csv parser that can then pull out the fields I want: title, author, year, star rating (although I'm allowing for half stars, which will require manually consulting my reviews/trying to parse my reviews for those books I gave half stars to) and ignore the rest to make it easier to copy paste data into the spread sheet.

I'll have to look at the data to see if I can get stuff like genre from my shelves (not sure if shelving info is included).

And I'll still have to do the page count/audio book duration by hand.

Assuming I can write a quick parser though that should at least cut down the amount of manual work I'd have to do though. Thanks for the suggestion!

Oh man..this idea got in my head and now my OCD is making things overly complicated. lol.

message 46: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2479 comments I took a look at the data in the Goodreads export .csv file and I think most of what you want is there. The data fields are:

Book Id
Title
Author
Author l-f
Additional Authors
ISBN
ISBN13
My Rating
Average Rating
Publisher
Binding
Number of Pages
Year Published
Original Publication Year
Date Read
Date Added
Bookshelves
Bookshelves with positions
Exclusive Shelf
My Review
Spoiler
Private Notes
Read Count
Recommended For
Recommended By
Owned Copies
Original Purchase Date
Original Purchase Location
Condition
Condition Description
BCID

Just open the .csv file in Excel and delete the fields you don't need.

message 47: by Rob, Roberator (last edited Nov 06, 2014 09:39AM) (new)

Yeah, I was looking at that today. I don't do office stuff enough to pay for MS Office/Excel, but it seems to load just as well into Google Sheets.

I could manually delete data like you suggest, but I think I'm still going to write some code because it will let me clean the data up easier.

For instance I can tokenize the shelf data and do a simple look-up to set my genre.

I'll probably spend some time this weekend doing it. If other OCD people are interested, I can share my spreadsheet and parsing code once it's done and they can get their own stats.

If I was more motivated, I'd figure out how to write an excel file or google sheets file with all the stuff I did by hand..but that probably won't happen.

Either way, thanks again for the suggestion it will totally save me a ton of time, even if I spent an hour writing some code this weekend.

message 48: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments My goal was 35 books and to finish the Malazan series. Did both but some books were re-readers. I'm at 37 books now and should do at least 40 by the end of the year.

message 49: by Sky (new)

Sky | 665 comments Rob wrote: "I'll probably spend some time this weekend doing it. If other OCD people are interested, I can share my spreadsheet and parsing code once it's done and they can get their own stats."

That would be sweet. what are you going to write the parsing code in?

message 50: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Sky wrote: "That would be sweet. what are you going to write the parsing code in? "

Java. I'm not a regex/perl guy. I'm sure people who are could do it all in 1 fancy line or something.

I pretty much just write enterprise java code.

But given my tendencies, I'll over engineer to have a maven pom file, a logging framework, a Book Pojo and a few enums. lol.

The application has slowly been building in the back of my head all week.

If I do a decent enough job maybe I'll throw it up in git or something if people want to check it out/make their own changes.

« previous 1 3