WRITERS' CORNER discussion

Help/advice

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is a page where you can post anything if you need help writing or with anything else. You can also post any sort of advice or things you have found helpful to your writing here.

message 2: by Rhystlynne (new)

Rhystlynne (inkbottleburning) | 314 comments Advice: When writing, try to avoid excessively using the same sentence structures repetitively.
Try to have good diction and don't be repetitive.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Good tip

Isabel of the Sea (oceangirlie) Thanks for the tip!

message 5: by Zippymae (new)

Zippymae | 8 comments Hi I like to write, but I tend to over think it. What do you do to keep yourself from erasing every little thing you write down? I hate when what I write doesn't sound like it does in my head.

message 6: by Samvarghis (new)

Samvarghis | 23 comments Write, write and write. Edit by yourself, cut it by one fourth of what you wrote, without loosing meaning......

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

So guys in my drama class we have to say a monologue. This monologue has to be based off of song lyrics of our choosing.
I have three choices and I don't know which to do

Should I go the funny route and do "I'm Going Slightly Mad" by Queen ( a crazy person talking to someone who isn't there)

or,

A different route and do "Misguided Ghosts" by PARAMORE (a teen running away and writing a letter explaining why)

or,

Go a nostalgic route with "My Wish" by Rascal Flats
(a mother talking to her child as a baby or perhaps as the child is leaving home to go to college)

or,

Do you have a different idea of a song I could do. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

message 8: by Samvarghis (new)

Samvarghis | 23 comments "I'm Going Slightly Mad" be the crazy Queen

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it would be hilarious

Isabel of the Sea (oceangirlie) As long as you are comfortable doing the role. :)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh I can act crazy :)

Isabel of the Sea (oceangirlie) Great!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Want this to be the first sentence of my book, but something about the word order/word choice seems slightly off. Can you help me? :)

There was something about preparing for one's impending doom that puts everyone in a somber mood, I don't get it.

message 14: by Kaylie (new)

Kaylie | 59 comments I'll give it a go, but I promise nothing. :) how about something like this....

"Something about preparing for ones own impending doom seems to put everyone in a somber mood; I don't get it."

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

better thanks

message 16: by em_panada (new)

em_panada Or you could try:

I don't get why preparing for someone's death puts everyone in a somber mood.

message 17: by Rhystlynne (new)

Rhystlynne (inkbottleburning) | 314 comments Or
The preparations for one's impending doom always seem to bring about a somber mood; I don't get it.

but you have to remember that it's not you talking or thinking; it's your character. Think of how your character would say it and word it. Pretend that you're the character and figure out how he/she would express the sentence. :)

message 18: by Travis (new)

Travis Berketa (travisberketa) | 555 comments Mod
TMEB wrote: "Want this to be the first sentence of my book, but something about the word order/word choice seems slightly off. Can you help me? :)

There was something about preparing for one's impending doom t..."

Rhystlynne is right. You need to find the character's voice. All of the suggestions are our own interpretation of how we see the character.

And here's mine...

There is something about preparing for your own impending doom that puts everyone in a somber mood - I don't get it.

I think it still has the feel of what you want, as I've only changed a few parts of the sentence. Hope it helps. :)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks. Guys, you've been really helpful.