Short & Sweet Treats discussion

Archives > Classic Book Nominations

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LaLaLa Laura (last edited Nov 05, 2014 04:26AM) (new)

LaLaLa Laura  (laurabhoffman) | 4443 comments Mod
vote here!
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/1...

It's time to vote for our December Classic Selection!

Please select a one book from our Classics Bookshelf and place your nomination here.

Nominations end on the 5th at which point the poll goes up.

Please refer to our Books Already Read shelf so that we don't nominate previous selections.

Let the nominations begin...

message 2: by Melanti (new)

Melanti I've been on a Nabokov kick lately, so I'll nominate another.

Invitation to a Beheading

message 3: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

I would like to read The Chimes by Charles Dickens. I think it was Anil who recommended this holiday story for the group.

message 4: by Julia (last edited Nov 01, 2014 05:17AM) (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) I will nominate The Snowflake Man: A Biography of Wilson A. Bentley by Duncan C. Blanchard (237 pages) (Laura, please add the book to our bookshelf.)

"This is a biography of Wilson Alwyn Bentley, the farmer from Jericho, Vermont, who took over five thousand photomicrographs of ice, dew, frost, and -- especially -- snow crystals. Although his photographs were taken between 1885 and 1931, they have never been equaled and are in great demand today. Bentley's story is one of courage and persistence against tremendous odds. He taught himself how to photograph snow crystals through a microscope while still in his teens and then pursued his obsession for years before having the beauty and scientific value of his work recognized by others. 'The Snowflake Man' lays open the life of a simple, self-educated, sensitive man who pursued natural beauty with microscope and camera for nearly fifty years. The book contains 30 black and white photographs."

Duncan C Blanchard holds degrees in engineering, physics, and meteorology, and has conducted research in the atmospheric sciences at General Electric, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute, and the Atmospheric Sciences Research Center, Albany. He has published over 150 articles and books.

The Bentley website is here: http://snowflakebentley.com/

message 5: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) I'd like to nominate Ethan Frome. I never read anything by Edith Wharton, yet.

message 6: by Holly (new)

Holly (whatwouldhollydo) Ethan Frome is a great one...short read especially for the busy holiday season, but also an appropriate winter setting. But, I think that I'll nominate The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I'm hoping that will make for a good airplane read as I travel next month.

message 7: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

at 84 pages, that is a quick read!
where are you going next month Holly?

message 8: by Holly (new)

Holly (whatwouldhollydo) Heading to DC, which for us is a lengthy 10 hour flight. Lots of reading time!

message 10: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

The Case of Benjamin Button is winning!

message 11: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

spoke too soon! we have a tie for now.

message 12: by Bigollo (new)

Bigollo | 70 comments LaLaLa Laura wrote: "spoke too soon! we have a tie for now."

I'm so proud to throw you off Laura:)

message 13: by Melanti (new)

Melanti No offence to the Fitzgerald fans, but I'd like a beheading or two next month!

message 14: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Bigollo wrote: "LaLaLa Laura wrote: "spoke too soon! we have a tie for now."

I'm so proud to throw you off Laura:)"

Ahh it was you, Bigollo! That's okay! It keeps things spicy!

message 15: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

lol Melanti!

message 16: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) Melanti wrote: "No offence to the Fitzgerald fans, but I'd like a beheading or two next month!"

You convinced me, Melanti--changed my vote :-)

message 17: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) Changed my vote, too...

message 18: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Mr. Button is back on top.

message 19: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) Folks, we have over 800 members in this group, and right now the classic nomination poll is tied, with only 26 people voting.

Come on, group--speak up! :-)

message 20: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

please someone break the tie before the poll ends !

message 21: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) Laura, any chance we could just put up BOTH books, and let folks take their pick? It always seems a shame when a book wins by just one vote--and perhaps more members would join in the discussions if they could have their choice?

Just my two cents--

message 22: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

julia

You make a good point! We could do that for December. We will read not one, but Two Classics for Christmas! Happy Holidays!

message 23: by Greg (new)

Greg Laura and Julia, I think that will work particularly well this time given that The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is so short (only 64 pages).

message 24: by Katie (new)

Katie | 15 comments Sounds like a great idea to me!

message 25: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

cool. great idea Julia!