Short & Sweet Treats discussion

Archives > Children's Book Nominations

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LaLaLa Laura (last edited Nov 05, 2014 04:25AM) (new)

LaLaLa Laura  (laurabhoffman) | 4443 comments Mod
vote here!
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/1...

"There is a garden in every childhood, an enchanted place where colors are brighter, the air softer, and the morning more fragrant than ever again." ~Elizabeth Lawrence

Welcome to our December selection where we will read a children's book!

Just make a selection from our Children's/YA Bookshelf and nominate your choice here.

Please refer to our Books Already Read shelf so that we don't nominate previous selections.

Nominations end on the 5th at which point the poll goes up.

message 2: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) I'll nominate The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. I just purchased the graphic novel version, and the story of Bod is one of the best of Gaiman's works imho.

The Amazon blurb says:

"In this Newbery Medal-winning novel, Bod is an unusual boy who inhabits an unusual place—he's the only living resident of a graveyard. Raised from infancy by the ghosts, werewolves, and other cemetery denizens, Bod has learned the antiquated customs of his guardians' time as well as their ghostly teachings—such as the ability to Fade so mere mortals cannot see him.

Can a boy raised by ghosts face the wonders and terrors of the worlds of both the living and the dead? And then there are being such as ghouls that aren't really one thing or the other.

The Graveyard Book won the Newbery Medal and the Carnegie Medal and is a Hugo Award Winner for Best Novel."

message 3: by Melanti (new)

Melanti So is YA allowed for nominations? I was just browsing and saw The Virgin Suicides in the shelf and there's no way that's a children's book.

I wouldn't even label it young adult. There's nothing inappropriate for teens, but I don't think it'd appeal to a teen audience. Same with Veronika Decides to Die.

message 4: by Melanti (last edited Oct 31, 2014 02:51PM) (new)

Melanti I'm not nominating at the moment, just asking. But those two did immediately catch my eye cause they're both about teen suicide, and that's not a normal "children's" subject.

Teens, yeah, but when I see "children's" I tend to think 12 and under.

message 5: by LaLaLa Laura (last edited Oct 31, 2014 01:42PM) (new)

I say some YA is ok since I have them on the same shelf. But try to keep it in the spirit of a children's book. your illustration of The Virgin Suicides is a good example of not a children's book!

message 6: by Melanti (new)

Melanti I liked The Virgin Suicides but Paulo Coelho is too self-help-feel-good-ish for my tastes. I did spot Peter Pan on there.

Thanks, Laura!

message 7: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

thank you ladies!

message 8: by Melanti (last edited Oct 31, 2014 02:48PM) (new)

Melanti Okay, I nominate Anne of Green Gables. Somehow I never read it as a kid and I've been meaning to try it for the last couple of months.

message 9: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) I'd like to nominate Treasure Island - I discovered it on the list and realised I never read it!

message 10: by Holly (new)

Holly (whatwouldhollydo) I'd like to nominate The Giver

message 11: by LaLaLa Laura (last edited Nov 02, 2014 12:54PM) (new)

Holly

we read The Giver in February but you can still discuss it here.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/....

And Mawra started a thread dedicated to the Giver Quartet so feel free to join in on that discussion here..

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 13: by Greg (new)

Greg Too bad I wasn't on top of this one to make a nomination - some great children's books come to mind! But I love some of these choices. The Graveyard Book was a wonderful, fascinating book, and I haven't yet read Anne of Green Gables!

message 14: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

The Graveyard Book is Winning!