Archive - Additional Reads > Outlander (Outlander #1) - November 2014

Comments Showing 1-50 of 106 (106 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 3996 comments Mod
Members' choice for additional BOM for November:

Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon

Book Summary
The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is just back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach—an “outlander”—in a Scotland torn by war and raiding border clans in the year of Our Lord...1743.

Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire is catapulted into the intrigues of lairds and spies that may threaten her life, and shatter her heart. For here James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, shows her a love so absolute that Claire becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire—and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.

message 2: by Lynn, Moderator (last edited Nov 02, 2014 03:19AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 3996 comments Mod
Spoilers behind tags until a little later in the month please. I will post when it's time for a free-for-all :)

Edit -
So a discussion timetable has been requested and we will follow:

10th to 12th November
Part One: Inverness 1946
Chapters 1 to 5

13th to 15th November
Part Two: Castle Leoch
Chapters 6 to 10

16th to 18th November
Part Three: One the Road
Chapters 11 to 16

19th to 21st November
Part Three: On the Road
Chapters 17 to 23

22nd to 24th November
Part Four: A Whiff of Brimstone
Chapters 24 to 25
and
Part Five: Lallybroch
Chapters 26 to 29

25th to 27th November
Part Five: Lallybroch
Chapters 30 to 33
and
Part Six: The Search
Chapter 34

28th November onwards
Part Seven: Sanctuary
Chapters 35 to 41

Discussion will be spoiler free as each section is timetabled and not before.

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments 23% in - so far, I'm liking it. Rich world building. Interesting characters :)

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments @Lynn, will you be using a timetable for the discussion?

message 5: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 3996 comments Mod
A timetable? As in first three chapters from this date, next three from this date etc?

I hadn't planned to but if there's a want from you all I can do?

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments Lynn wrote: "A timetable? As in first three chapters from this date, next three from this date etc?

I hadn't planned to but if there's a want from you all I can do?"

Yes, exactly like that. I was thinking it might help with the discussion. I thought about this simply because I
end up reading alone and never quite in sync with others to take part in a discussion and only comment at the end. Anyway that's just an idea.

Chris There is so much in the book to discuss and now with the tv series - the timetable idea would be great!!

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments There's a TV series? Which channel?!

message 9: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (last edited Nov 01, 2014 04:47PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments The audio book is quite good so far.
The narrators tone makes me think of Mary Poppins though. lol.

message 10: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 3996 comments Mod
Discussion timetable now in message two.

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments Lynn wrote: "Discussion timetable now in message two."

Thank you Lynn, will start reading today.

message 12: by Jennifer (last edited Nov 02, 2014 07:03AM) (new) - added it

Jennifer (featherlashes) Such an amazing book! The audiobook experience is really good (although very long- 33 hours). The narrator Davina Porter is excellent! Her voice tone and accent reminded me of Audrey Hepburn.

Spoiler-free review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments So...I found out the TV series showing everywhere except in the UK and the US I think :(.

message 14: by Reva (new) - rated it 5 stars

Reva (revans) | 33 comments Virginie wrote: "So...I found out the TV series showing everywhere except in the UK and the US I think :(."

The wonderful Tv series aired in north America from August 2014 for 8 weekly episodes. I just caught a re-run of episode one last night but I didn't pay attention to the channel -- sorry. I live in Canada. The remainder of the first season will air in April 2015 and a second season has been approved.

Ioana | 129 comments I read this a few years ago and loved it.
Then I read #2 in the series, which was good, but not as good as #1. Or maybe just too long, lol, 100 pages longer than #1.
Then #3 is 100 pages longer than #2...not sure if/when I will have the courage to start it.

Angela M Ioana,
It was the same for me . I loved the first book when I read it a few years ago but was not so taken with the second one . I never finished it . I recently saw the series on TV and am thinking that I may try it again .

Ioana | 129 comments Was the TV series book 1 only, or the entire series? Do you remember which TV channel?

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments The series just started this year. Not sure if there's plans for multiple seasons (but if it does well, I assume so).

It's on Showcase.
http://www.showcase.ca/outlander

message 19: by Reva (new) - rated it 5 stars

Reva (revans) | 33 comments Season one only deals with book one. Dragonfly in Amber will be covered in Season 2.

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments not showing in the uk :(

message 21: by Reva (new) - rated it 5 stars

Reva (revans) | 33 comments Virginie wrote: "not showing in the uk :("

Outlander became available online on September 20, 2014 on MovieCityPlay, and was broadcast on MovieCity (TV) starting September 28, 2014.[47] The series also began on October 21, 2014 on RTÉ 2 in the Republic of Ireland.[citation needed][48]

message 22: by Chris (last edited Nov 09, 2014 06:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris Here in U.S. The series is on Starz network and ran from Aug. to Oct. It will begin again in April -- yes and the numerous websites that are devoted will especially help you out - Diana Gabadon's website updates all things especially with her writing with her new book!! Visiting the book again for the 3rd time for this group and always picking up on something I missed out before. Looking forward to the timetable discussion - its such a massive book and so much happens!! Do not look forward to discussing certain scenes though as they are so dark!!

message 23: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 3996 comments Mod
10th to 12th November
Part One: Inverness 1946
Chapters 1 to 5

NOW OPEN TO SPOILERS

Please refrain from posting any spoilers beyond Chapter 5.

message 24: by Lynn, Moderator (last edited Nov 10, 2014 10:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 3996 comments Mod
So I'm a little behind and only just started but I'm a fairly quick reader so hope to catch up soon.

So far I'm finding it very full of facts and information ..... I'm a little worried as I tend to struggle with books that don't get on with the story. We shall see!

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments Lynn wrote: "So I'm a little behind and only just started but I'm a fairly quick reader so hope to catch up soon.

So far I'm finding it very full of facts and information ..... I'm a little worried as I tend ..."

Yes, it is like that for Part 1 it seems.

message 26: by Reva (new) - rated it 5 stars

Reva (revans) | 33 comments Lynn wrote: "So I'm a little behind and only just started but I'm a fairly quick reader so hope to catch up soon.

So far I'm finding it very full of facts and information ..... I'm a little worried as I tend ..."

Hang in there Lynn! It gets better and better as you go along. I've read the complete series twice and the first book 3 times. once you meet James Fraser you'll not want to stop.

message 27: by Alycia (new) - added it

Alycia (bookhound18) | 814 comments Lol RitaSkeeter- Exactly my thoughts! I ended up DNF this one awhile back.

message 28: by Alycia (new) - added it

Alycia (bookhound18) | 814 comments I made it about 65% through.

message 29: by Reva (new) - rated it 5 stars

Reva (revans) | 33 comments RitaSkeeter wrote: "Alycia wrote: "Lol RitaSkeeter- Exactly my thoughts! I ended up DNF this one awhile back."

Can't say I'm loving it either. How far in did you make it Alycia? There's something that happened at ar..."

Come on RitaSkeeter spill.

message 30: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 3996 comments Mod
Yes Rita, if you feel the need to discuss it now rather than waiting for us to catch up ( :p ) then just make sure it's behind a spoiler :)

RitaSkeeter wrote: "It's clear the author did research around the time period, but I don't think she needed to put every last detail in the book.

Gah, I so want to like / love this book going into it but you all know from previous reads I'm not a fan of too much detail.

I've read the first chapter so far, before I got pulled to read a challenge book late last night but I should be back onto it by tonight.

So far the first chapter has settled me in nicely enough that I'm interested, with only a slight nag in the back of my mind about the detail.

I'm liking Claire, she's been feisty enough so far that I'm warming to her quite quickly.
The strange kilt wearing man has me intrigued.

message 31: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (last edited Nov 11, 2014 08:25PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments "The cover of the version I read has a photo from the TV series with Claire and Jamie looking like they desperately need a bar of soap. I'd be scooting back through those stones faster than you could say Dove. "

hahahahahahahah!!!!! you and me both!

message 32: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 3996 comments Mod
So I hit the end of Chapter 5 last night, and so far the it has me hooked. We seem to have got into the story more now and less fact telling and I'm loving Claire. I'm looking forward to learning more about Jamie.

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments Lynn wrote: "So I hit the end of Chapter 5 last night, and so far the it has me hooked. We seem to have got into the story more now and less fact telling and I'm loving Claire. I'm looking forward to learning m..."

I am at Chapter 9 but need to put the breaks on it because I need to get on with another book :(
It is good though, maybe we should have it as a series in 2015 if we can.

message 34: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 3996 comments Mod
So sorry guys, I've not had the best couple of days :/

13th to 15th November
Part Two: Castle Leoch
Chapters 6 to 10

NOW OPEN TO SPOILERS

Please refrain from posting any spoilers beyond Chapter 10.

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments Dear God, still need to catch up.

message 36: by Lynn, Moderator (last edited Nov 14, 2014 10:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 3996 comments Mod
So what did everyone think of these chapters? I'm now caught up to the reading schedule.

I did make some notes, but of course those notes are not on me and I'm trying to remember from memory.

Claire was 'welcomed' in to the castle. I have to say that for the most part she was welcomed, which surprised me quite a bit.

She was asked to help out as their healer, which I quite enjoyed reading about.

She met a local witch ( I think that's what she described herself as) / gossip, which I can only assume will come back into the story at some point otherwise I don't really see the point of introducing her. I'm not sure if I like / trust her.

Unless of course, we needed someway to be introduced to the gossip that Callum's son is not in fact his son but maybe Jamies? Do we think that's true?

Of course we have the confusing and mysterious Jamie, who exactly is he?

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments I really enjoyed Claire's wit. The way her and Jaime communicate with each other and pick on each other actually made me chuckle out loud a few times.

I'm already done, and I don't want to spoil... So I'm just going to stick to the basics and comment on what is already commented on -- to be safe :)

message 38: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 3996 comments Mod
16th to 18th November
Part Three: One the Road
Chapters 11 to 16

NOW OPEN TO SPOILERS

Please refrain from posting any spoilers beyond Chapter 16.

message 39: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 3996 comments Mod
Awwwww I finished these chapters all 'swoony-like' , Jamie really is rather sweet :)

So obviously I expected something to happen between the two of them but the marriage did surprise me. The whole wedding and getting to know each other better was written so lovely.
I'm surprised Claire hasn't thought / worried about getting pregnant though, which is bound to happen right?

I'm still wondering about the point of 'whats-her-name-gossip' in the earlier chapters, especially now we know that Jamie was a virgin and therefore not the father of Callum's son.

Captain Randall is a nasty piece of work, not looking forward to when they meet up with him again :/

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments I sooooo need to catch up, I feel like I am missing out!

message 41: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 3996 comments Mod
Virginie wrote: "I sooooo need to catch up, I feel like I am missing out!"

Well hurry up! ;)

It was you that wanted the timetable discussion too! lol

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments Lynn wrote: "Virginie wrote: "I sooooo need to catch up, I feel like I am missing out!"

Well hurry up! ;)

It was you that wanted the timetable discussion too! lol"

I know...I am nearly feeling bad about it:)
I am finishing my current read today and it is Outlander all the way after that!!

Chris How does everyone feel about Dougal up to this point? And what about her getting back to her husband in the 1940's? Comparing Frank and Capt. Jack -- its hard to think of Frank without comparing him to Jack!!! At least for me it is...Do you think after the wedding she is as anxious to go back to the present? Isn't Jamie something!!!

message 44: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 3996 comments Mod
RE Dougal - The jury is still out for me, I'm cautiously liking him to tell you the truth but I have this sneaky feeling he's going to let me down.

I think that Claire is still very keen to get back to the 1940s currently but that will get much harder as time is spent with Jamie. From a readers point of view Frank would never compare to Jamie because we never got to know Frank, and the comparison to Capt. Randall as you pointed out really doesn't help!

message 45: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 3996 comments Mod
I have decided that this book is bat-shit-crazy but I love it! :D

Currently 70%, looking forward to discussing the next chapters from tomorrow which has THE incident that seems to split most people.

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments bat-shit-crazy ha lmao!!

message 47: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 3996 comments Mod
Where abouts in the book are you Virginie?

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments Lynn wrote: "Where abouts in the book are you Virginie?"

Only 27%, Trying to read 2 chapters a night to catch up.
I am in the middle of chapter 13.

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments Will probably do most of my catching up by the weekend.

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments Bat-shit-crazy is a great way to describe it, Lynn! Haha

I agree, from a reader stand point, Frank doesn't stand a chance.

« previous 1 3