Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Language & Translation Issues > 2014 Goodreads Choice Awards

Comments Showing 1-50 of 152 (152 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicareading) | 69 comments Hi Librarians,

It's that time of year again! We are launching the 2014 Goodreads Choice Awards on Monday, November 3, and voting will continue until November 24. Winners will be announced December 2, 2014.

During the Opening Round (November 3 – 8, 2014), voters can use the write-in option for any eligible book.

We will be directing voters who believe the book they want to vote for has an incorrect date to this thread for help.

To help librarians evaluate what to do with each query, here’s the criteria we are using:

2014 Eligibility: Books published in the United States in English, including works in translation and other significant rereleases, between November 17, 2013, and November 15, 2014, are eligible for the 2014 Goodreads Choice Awards.

We limit eligibility to prevent books from being nominated in multiple award years. However, this does create a challenge in two scenarios:

* Books from other countries (often works in translation) that have original pub dates before 2014, but a new U.S. edition in English in 2014. Examples:
- I Am Pilgrim
- Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage
- Capital in the Twenty-First Century

* Books which have had a significant rerelease in the U.S., and have not been nominated previously. Example:
- The Martian

For these categories of books, we've temporarily changed the original publication year and would like to do the same for any other eligible books requested by voters. If you change a date, please put a librarian note on the book and post the title here.

Also, we do hope to expand the Goodreads Choice Awards internationally in the future. For this year, it will continue to be focused on books published in the U.S..

Thanks for all your help with this and don’t hesitate to let us know if you have questions.

message 2: by Donna (new)

Donna (oceans1) | 1 comments Raising Steam– March 18, 2014 by Terry Pratchett gives me an error message saying it is not eligible to vote for.

message 3: by Kira (new)

Kira (kjrnyc13) | 5 comments I tried adding "The Tao of Martha: My Year of LIVING; Or, Why I'm Never Getting All That Glitter Off of the Dog" by Jen Lancaster under the humor section but it says its inelligible. It appears it was published in May 2014 and I don't think it was nominated in another year.

message 4: by Jeffrey (last edited Nov 03, 2014 06:11AM) (new)

Jeffrey (insurrbution) | 4 comments "Beowulf" by J.R.R. Tolkien was published in May. "The Fall of Arthur" was published last year by same publisher (Harper Collins for UK / Canada, and Houghton Mifflin for U.S.) and eligible. In fact, it won.(poetry category, for both)
And, Ken Follett's Edge of Eternity is a nominee this year - a UK author. Doesn't make sense to me.

message 5: by Megan (last edited Nov 03, 2014 06:02AM) (new)

Megan Scribner | 3 comments Hello. I just tried voting for Teaching with Heart: Poetry that Speaks to the Courage to Teach but was told it was not eligible to vote for. It was published May 2014. It has not been nominated before - and it is one of the books in Goodreads. Please add it to the list. Thanks!

message 6: by Don (new)

Don (don2) | 1 comments The Pagan Lord by Bernard Cornwell - US addition published January 2014.

message 7: by Salomé (new)

Salomé Jones | 21 comments The Cormorant by Chuck Wendig was released in December 2013, but I can't vote for it. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 8: by Andie (new)

Andie (aseto) | 1 comments The Troop by Nick Cutter was released in February 2014.

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2 comments I tried to nominate "A Cold and Broken Hallelujah" by Tyler Dilts in the Mystery/Thriller category and it was ineligible. The book was published September 1, 2014 in English in the US but it won't allow me to vote for it.

message 10: by Catherine (new)

Catherine McKenzie | 1 comments Hidden by Catherine McKenzie had its US publication in April, 2014 but it is saying it was ineligible.

message 11: by Cristian (new)

Cristian Tane | 1 comments The Troop by Nick Cutter, not only it should be eligible (although the system for some reason doesn't allow it), but it should also be nominated in the horror category, since it was a terrific novel.

message 12: by Ashley E (new)

Ashley E | 416 comments Donna wrote: "Raising Steam– March 18, 2014 by Terry Pratchett gives me an error message saying it is not eligible to vote for."

Raising Steam was actually originally published on November 7 2013, and thus isn't eligible for this year's awards.

message 13: by Ashley E (new)

Ashley E | 416 comments Kira wrote: "I tried adding "The Tao of Martha: My Year of LIVING; Or, Why I'm Never Getting All That Glitter Off of the Dog" by Jen Lancaster under the humor section but it says its inelligible. It appears it ..."

The Tao of Martha: My Year of LIVING; Or, Why I'm Never Getting All That Glitter Off of the Dog was originally published in June of 2013 and isn't eligible for this year's awards.

message 14: by Ashley E (last edited Nov 03, 2014 08:25AM) (new)

Ashley E | 416 comments Salomé wrote: "The Cormorant by Chuck Wendig was released in December 2013, but I can't vote for it. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1..."

Original publication date was incorrectly listed as January. Fixed.

message 15: by Selina (new)

Selina Bodur | 2 comments Good day! I tried adding Madness or Love but I couldn't. The book was published on October 24. Thank you!

message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 845 comments Selina wrote: "Good day! I tried adding Madness or Love but I couldn't. The book was published on October 24. Thank you!"

book didn't have a date published set

message 17: by Ashley E (new)

Ashley E | 416 comments Amy wrote: "I tried to nominate "A Cold and Broken Hallelujah" by Tyler Dilts in the Mystery/Thriller category and it was ineligible. The book was published September 1, 2014 in English in the US but it won't..."

Original pub date set.

message 18: by Hniu (new)

Hniu | 2 comments Can't add Hansel and Gretel by N Gaiman & L Mattotti. Published October 2014.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 19: by Ashley E (new)

Ashley E | 416 comments Andie wrote: "The Troop by Nick Cutter was released in February 2014."

Original pub date set.

message 20: by Ashley E (new)

Ashley E | 416 comments Catherine wrote: "Hidden by Catherine McKenzie had its US publication in April, 2014 but it is saying it was ineligible."

Original publication for Hidden appears to be June of 2013.

message 21: by Ashley E (new)

Ashley E | 416 comments Hniu wrote: "Can't add Hansel and Gretel by N Gaiman & L Mattotti. Published October 2014.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2..."

Original publication date added.

message 22: by Hniu (new)

Hniu | 2 comments Thanks!!

message 23: by Linda (new)

Linda Leavell | 1 comments Nora Webster by Colm Toibin was published in the US October 7, 1914. Why can't I vote for it in the fiction category?

message 24: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 845 comments Linda wrote: "Nora Webster by Colm Toibin was published in the US October 7, 1914. Why can't I vote for it in the fiction category?"

original published date was set to Oct 1, 2013, so it wasn't recognized as being eligible - verified and corrected

message 25: by Ned (new)

Ned Hayes (nedhayes) | 1 comments Sinful Folk, Ned Hayes (pub Jan 2014)

Sinful Folk

message 26: by Scott (new)

Scott | 21363 comments Mind of Winter should be eligible, but the site is telling me that it is not.

message 27: by T.S. (new)

T.S. Pagan (tspagan) | 1 comments 53 letters for my lover by Leylah Attar was published June 2014, but wasn't recognized as eligible.

message 28: by Ashley E (new)

Ashley E | 416 comments T. wrote: "53 letters for my lover by Leylah Attar was published June 2014, but wasn't recognized as eligible."

Original pub date added.

message 29: by Ashley E (new)

Ashley E | 416 comments Scott wrote: "Mind of Winter should be eligible, but the site is telling me that it is not."

Date temporarily changed and Librarian Note added.

message 30: by Elena (new)

Elena (elenalikesbooks) | 2 comments Weasels should be eligible. First US publication was February 25th, 2014. UK publication was April 2013.

message 31: by Ashley E (new)

Ashley E | 416 comments Ned wrote: "Sinful Folk, Ned Hayes (pub Jan 2014)

Sinful Folk"

This is the edition causing the problem, but I don't know enough about ABNA to know whether this disqualifies it from the awards. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 32: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43570 comments Mod
ABNA editions are actually only brief excerpts, and should not be combined with the full book.

Separated and first pub date edited.

message 33: by Lee (new)

Lee Markham | 4 comments Hi there,

I'm the author of The Knife (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...), and whilst I don't particularly rate my chances, it'd be nice to have a shot...

And early pre-publication edit of The Knife was self-published a couple of years ago on Smashwords. However that was really just to gather feedback, since which time it's been significantly edited ahead of its official publication (and worldwide) and making available for purchase for the first time in March of 2014.

However the date of the Smashwords edition is preventing its eligibility - can you help correct this?

Thank you!

message 34: by Jane (new)

Jane | 29 comments Tabula Rasa / Ruth Downie

I wanted to write this in for the historical fiction category but the system wouldn't let me. Why? Copyright is 2014 and I got it on preorder when it came out earlier this year.

message 35: by Megan (new)

Megan Scribner | 3 comments I appreciate all your responses and fixes regarding books that should be eligible for this. Could you please double check Teaching with Heart: Poetry that Speaks to the Courage to Teach. (Published May 2014) It was one of the early responses and I think it may have been missed. Thanks.

message 36: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten | 2 comments It says error message for my write in vote....I would like "Cut To The Bone" by Jefferson Bass...it was published in the time specified by this vote contest.

message 37: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 845 comments Kirsten wrote: "It says error message for my write in vote....I would like "Cut To The Bone" by Jefferson Bass...it was published in the time specified by this vote contest."

Cut to the bone came out September 2013, so before the time specified

message 38: by Ashley E (new)

Ashley E | 416 comments Megan wrote: "I appreciate all your responses and fixes regarding books that should be eligible for this. Could you please double check Teaching with Heart: Poetry that Speaks to the Courage to Teach. (Publishe..."

This book comes up fine in the vote now.

message 39: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 845 comments Jane wrote: "Tabula Rasa / Ruth Downie

I wanted to write this in for the historical fiction category but the system wouldn't let me. Why? Copyright is 2014 and I got it on preor..."

try again - i just verified the info

message 40: by Ashley E (new)

Ashley E | 416 comments Jane wrote: "Tabula Rasa / Ruth Downie

I wanted to write this in for the historical fiction category but the system wouldn't let me. Why? Copyright is 2014 and I got it on preor..."

Write-in worked okay for me on this book. Not sure if someone already fixed it...

message 41: by Ashley E (new)

Ashley E | 416 comments Lee wrote: "Hi there,

I'm the author of The Knife (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...), and whilst I don't particularly rate my chances, it'd be nice to have a shot...

And early pre-publi..."

Since this was published (regardless of format or level of distribution), we can't delete that first edition.

message 42: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2 comments Ashley E wrote: "Amy wrote: "I tried to nominate "A Cold and Broken Hallelujah" by Tyler Dilts in the Mystery/Thriller category and it was ineligible. The book was published September 1, 2014 in English in the US ..."

Thanks!

message 43: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 845 comments Ashley E wrote: "Lee wrote: "Hi there,

And ear..."

this could potentially fall under the same situation as the Martian (mentioned in the OP) - where it was released initially as a self-pub and then picked up by a minstream publishe a few years later - but not sure

message 44: by Jane (new)

Jane | 29 comments Ashley E wrote: "Jane wrote: "Tabula Rasa / Ruth Downie

I wanted to write this in for the historical fiction category but the system wouldn't let me. Why? Copyright is 2014 and I go..."

OK, I'll try again. If it doesn't work I'll reinstate my previous choice.

message 45: by Lee (new)

Lee Markham | 4 comments Dee wrote: "Ashley E wrote: "Lee wrote: "Hi there,

I'm the author of The Knife (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...), and whilst I don't particularly rate my chances, it'd be nice to have a..."

I hope so - the Smashwords release was certainly non-commercial, minimal, and in an edit very much unfinished. This year's release is very much seen by both myself and the published as its official and definitive first edition release. Fingers crossed!

message 46: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 845 comments just wanted to verify before I changed it:

Three Souls - first pub'd in Canada August 2013, but published in the US in Feb 2014

based on the ruling, I can change that first pub'd date to reflect the US to be included correct?

message 47: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Ryan | 2 comments Why won't "Under the Wide and Starry Sky" qualify when I write it in for fiction? It was published in English in January.

message 48: by Megan (new)

Megan Scribner | 3 comments Ashley E wrote: "Megan wrote: "I appreciate all your responses and fixes regarding books that should be eligible for this. Could you please double check Teaching with Heart: Poetry that Speaks to the Courage to Te..."

Thanks!

message 49: by Jane (new)

Jane | 29 comments Ashley E wrote: "Jane wrote: "Tabula Rasa / Ruth Downie

I wanted to write this in for the historical fiction category but the system wouldn't let me. Why? Copyright is 2014 and I go..."

Well, it wouldn't work for me after 3 tries, so I reinstated the one from the list. Oh well. I noticed it isn't listed as a choice at the bottom. There are many others with the same title, but not the Downie.

message 50: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 845 comments Leigh wrote: "Why won't "Under the Wide and Starry Sky" qualify when I write it in for fiction? It was published in English in January."

had an original pub date of 2013, so it wasn't recognized, you should be good now

« previous 1 3 4