Willing To Review Christian Group discussion

Is Your Book Blurb Giving Away Your Story?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 5 comments Just want to ask people looking for a review not to give away so much of their book in advance. Some blurbs are an entire synopsis. Even some requests outline the entire book. It makes it difficult to get into a story about which you already know everything that's going to happen.

I've included a link to an article I wrote about book blurbs, in case some people want to read it.

http://www.kathysnotes.com/blog/is-yo...

Thanks to all.

message 2: by C. J. (new)

C. J. Scurria (goodreadscomcj_scurria) | 7 comments That's a good point. I hope to release a story to a publisher some time in the near future. I hope the blurb will not contain much spoilers. And just to note anyone that wants a review that does NOT contain spoilers, that is usually my style. I hate reading a review with too much given away and I personally feel it ruins the chance of anyone reading the review to want to try it out!

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 5 comments CJ wrote: "That's a good point. I hope to release a story to a publisher some time in the near future. I hope the blurb will not contain much spoilers. And just to note anyone that wants a review that does NO..."

I agree about the reviews.I don't include spoilers unless I post a big spoiler alert in all CAPS. On my review sites, there are no spoilers. I just glimpsed a review for a brand new book and an early reviewer had spoiled the ending and then added:sorry, spoiler.

message 4: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Gilbert (rjagilbert) | 21 comments What I have discovered, especially with Christian readers, is that they are afraid to read a book unless they know that it will not deviate from their already-accepted belief system. In essence, they already know the message they want to hear. Case in point is my new cover for a book I wrote that blends the legend of Atlantis with the story of Noah's Ark. People would not read past the first chapter because they did not want to read about something that was "non-Biblical". Then I put a small graphic of Noah's Ark up in the corner of the cover. I have to point to it and say, "this is a spoiler" so they will look and realize what the story is really about. Otherwise, they just say I'm "New Age" or "Metaphysical".

message 5: by Gary (new)

Gary Martin | 1 comments Robert wrote: "What I have discovered, especially with Christian readers, is that they are afraid to read a book unless they know that it will not deviate from their already-accepted belief system. In essence, th..."

It can be tough, trying to do something creative that doesn't spin heads too much and lose the audience. [LOL].

I find this is happening a lot. Some people come under the banner of christian fiction but go all out changing the story and twisting scriptures. Others use the bible as a launching pad that explores new ground. It sounds like that's what your books are trying to do.

message 6: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Gilbert (rjagilbert) | 21 comments Gary wrote: "Robert wrote: "What I have discovered, especially with Christian readers, is that they are afraid to read a book unless they know that it will not deviate from their already-accepted belief system...."

The book was to point out the amazing irony of Genesis chapter 6. It (the Bible, not my book) begins by describing these amazing heroes, the Trumps, Clintons, and Osteens of that time. It calls them "Men of Renown". Then it says nothing more about them--every celebrity's worst nightmare. I wouldn't say that's twisting scripture, but some folks thought it was simply because I put a face on the "nephylim" that didn't match what they had imagined.

As far as twisting scriptures goes, I have a book about that, too. It begins with the question: If we believe the Author of the Bible is God, do we believe that He is telling us what we want to hear, or what He wants to tell us? A lot of people, if they are completely honest with themselves, will discover that there is a lot that they "find" in the Bible that is only "there" because they want it to be.