Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Son of the Shadows (Sevenwaters, #2)
This topic is about Son of the Shadows
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Marillier, Juliet - Son of the Shadows - Informal Buddy Read; Start December 12, 2014

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Oct 31, 2014 11:10AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30795 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion of Son of the Shadows by Juliet Marillier

Book Synopsis:
Beautiful Sorcha is the courageous young woman who risked all to save her family from a wicked curse and whose love shattered generations of hate and bridged two cultures.

It is from her sacrifice that Sorcha's brothers were brought home to their ancestral fortress Sevenwaters, and her life has known much joy.

But not all the brothers were able to fully escape the spell that transformed them into swans, and it is left to Sorcha's daughter Liadan to help fulfill the destiny of the Sevenwaters clan. Beloved child and dutiful daughter, Liadan embarks on a journey that shows her just how hard-won was the peace that she has known all her life.

Liadan will need all of her courage to help save her family, for there are dark forces and ancient powers conspiring to destroy this family's peace--and their world. And she will need all of her strength to stand up to those she loves best, for in the finding of her own true love, Liadan's course may doom them all . . . or be their salvation.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

reserved

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments Looking forward to this! I LOVED the Daughter of the Forest and I'm eager to find out what happened next! See everyone on the 12th!

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I know I have soooo many other books to read, but how will I wait this long??

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1193 comments I'm so glad this has been set up as a buddy read. I LOVED DOTF so much. I can't imagine why I have waited so long to read this!!

Nichole | 980 comments Volunteering for the 3rd book when you catch up! :)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Hmm I read that one recently it seems. apparently out of order.

message 9: by Deedee (new) - added it

Deedee | 571 comments Looking forward to joining this Buddy Read on Dec. 12. I really liked the first book DOTF so I'm expecting a good read with Son of the Shadows.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Apparently it's the best of the lot!

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments Really excited about this one! I'm reading novellas tonight to keep from starting it early because I have no self control. Some people can't eat just one potato chip, I can't just read one chapter.

Hi. I'm Becky and I am a compulsive reader.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 4896 comments Absolutely, this is Juliet Marillier's best book and I have read all her adult Celtic fantasy novels. You will love the hero, Bran.

message 13: by Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (last edited Dec 11, 2014 03:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments LOL! That's neat, Lisa! What is it with the name Bran? Everytime I run across it the guy is super great. Bran the Marrok....Bran from the Kate Daniel's series... ; )

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 4896 comments Ha, Becky, Maybe it was the "in" name for gorgeous bad boys of the Celtic era.

Cait S | 2825 comments Hi all! I'm going to be joining in but I'll be a few days late. My library hasn't delivered my copy yet. Soon though I hope :D

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments That and it's one that's easy to pronounce. Some of them are tough...like Bhatar...or Amhlaidh...

Yikes.

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1193 comments I'm also excited to start! I have way too many buddy reads happening, though! :-)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Hmm, Becky, you're thinking of starting on the dot of midnight, are you?

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments Nicole wrote: "Hmm, Becky, you're thinking of starting on the dot of midnight, are you?"

Hehe...I did, but I fell asleep before I was able to get very far. : ( I've been busy most of the day so I'm only through chapter 1, but this is setting up to be a really good story!

Chapter 1: (view spoiler)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Chapter 1 is an amazing set up. I can't even put it down.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments It really is great, Nicole. When it all comes together, it should be amazing!

Chapter 6: (view spoiler)

I've been busy getting ready for a Christmas party, but things should settle down after tomorrow. Hope everyone is enjoying the book! It's been kind of quiet in here. : )

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Chapter 6!! I'm at Chapter 2 :P

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments These are longer chapters, but I like the book a lot. I probably won't get any further today unless I fit a chapter in before bed. Christmas party tonight! Yay!

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Have fun at your Christmas party! It will give me a chance to catch up. Now in the middle of Chapter 3.

Loving the state of the family and the hint of things to come. The issues that have come with Niamh, but I find I'm not very surprised. One thing I always love is just how lyrical Juliet's writing is. It almost seems as though it doesn't matter, whether it's romance or war or whatever, it would still be fun to drift away in her words.

I reckon our boy Bran might be the source of the big bad...

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments Thanks, Nicole! It was really nice. My husband's company is sooo generous. Random gift cards at every place setting, Christmas bonuses and annual profit sharing bonuses, too. He really likes working there as the management is super people oriented.

Bran is pretty mysterious at this point and I want to know all about him. Things get super interesting in Chapter 6.

I'm wiped out and have a special church service in the morning. Full orchestra with Christmas carols. YAY! All of my in-laws will be there so I better sleep tonight instead of read. You'll probably be ahead of me by the time I get back to it tomorrow.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Nawww, we need more companies like that.

I'd love to be, but I have a 3 hour drive home tomorrow so I'll get some reading done tonight, and then maybe tomorrow night and nothing in between. *laughs*

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments You're planning on finishing this by tomorrow??! (I'm up to Chapter 6 by the way ;D)

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments Nicole wrote: "You're planning on finishing this by tomorrow??! (I'm up to Chapter 6 by the way ;D)"

Well...I was...but it's not going to happen. I've had too many distractions so I'm only in Chapter 8, but it gets better and better! I just love the writing! It's rare when I can completely lose myself in a book. So much to talk about, too!

Chapter 4-6: (view spoiler)

Hope you had a nice trip and safe travels this weekend, Nicole! We went to a church Christmas Concert this morning and it was FAN-TAB-ULOUS! Full orchestra and jazz band, children's choir...awesomeness! Feels like Christmas to me now!

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Oh god, Evan dying and the tears that Liadan couldn't stop crying, and then the way her and Bran reached for each other, and tried to talk themselves out of it, and how sweet they both were immediately afterwards...

Yeah, I think that's been my favourite part of the story thus far. I'm at the point now where she's just figured out that she's pregnant and is talking to her mother about it.

I love Bran, and I knew I was going to. I believe the evil is Oonagh, but we'll find out!

My weekend was AMAZING!! And I am lying down and reading as we speak, or rather, will be as soon as I send this off. It's amazing. And I ahve tomorrow off too (it's always good to get a day off after you come back from hoilday, just to get back into the swing of things) so I am sure lots of reading time again tomorrwo! Hopefully I'll catch you online at the same time and we can discuss more then.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments Bran and Liadan together was my favorite part so far, too! After he got over the pushy "I'm the Chief" thing, they really connected emotionally. It's like she pulled him out of the darkness without realizing it.

Glad you had a great weekend! Having that extra day is really handy. Before my knee injury I'd drive out to the country and camp with my horse to trail ride with a group of friends. It's a lot of work, but I love being out in nature. I really miss it and hope to get back to it this summer.

I'll check back in around 5:00. That would be 10:30AM your time and we can chat more about the book! There is a lot going on and I'm just on Chapter 9!

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I have a craft group between 10-12 today, so won't be online again till 7.30 your time. Don't know if that's any good for you, but I'll check in later. I'm up to chapter 8

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments That works! I'll be back then to chat!

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments This book has to be one of the best I've read in the Fantasy genre! There's a twist or a new revelation around every turn!

Chapter 7: (view spoiler)

Chapter 8-9: (view spoiler)

How far along are you, Nicole? I made a lot of progress today since everyone is at work and haven't been able to put it down! It's THAT awesome! I'm up to Chapter 13 and things are coming together so well!

Love how the author keeps me guessing, but then at the same time when she reveals part of her plot, it makes sense, but doesn't give away the whole story. What a great book!

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments I'm finished! I just adore Bran and Liadan! Thoughts on the ending: (view spoiler)

I really want to continue this series, but it will have to wait until later in January.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Ohh I've been so bad with reading and getting online so I still haven't finished, but I'll get through more on my Christmas break I'm sure.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments I'll be around when you're ready, Nicole. We have family coming in Saturday and with Christmas right around the corner everyone is busy.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments So so busy. I've been finding it's easier to listen to audio books, so I'm still getting my stories, but this one isn't on audio at my library ;)

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments My library didn't have the audio either. Boo! It is easier for me to get through longer books that way, too.

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1193 comments I finally started. I'm a bit disappointed that Red and Sorcha take a back seat, but I'm sure there are great things to come for the next generation!

I'll go back and read the comments once I get farther into the story.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I'm still about halfway through myself. Will definitely chat with you about it.

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1193 comments I am almost to chapter 12. I am loving this book so much! I can't believe I waited so long to read it. I had forgotten so much about the first book.

(view spoiler)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1193 comments Chapter 12

(view spoiler)

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments Sandy...your Chapter 12 spoiler: (view spoiler)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1193 comments I finished this book and rated it 5 stars.
I have the next two on my shelf at home, but I don't want to rush into them so I'll have something to look forward to.
(view spoiler)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I'm about a chapter or two from the end, probably going to finish it after Christmas lunch today!

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I finally finished! I loved this one, even though I only half remembered reading it the first time. Hopeully I'll remember better now that I've read it again and reviewed ;)

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments Sandy...Yes! I thought Bran was mature for his age, too. Then again, in those days girls were married at fifteen and sixteen....ickie...so maybe it was just the lifestyle that forced him to grow up fast?

About Eamonn: (view spoiler)

Glad you ladies enjoyed it as much as I did! I'd be interested in reading the next book, but I can't get to it until late January or early February.

Cait S | 2825 comments Hi guys! I am once again SUPER late to the party. I need to stop signing up for so many challenges that make me read things on a schedule, I tell you.

But I am finally starting this book tonight so if anyone else is late or wants to come back and chat with me, I would love that!

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments I'll chat with you, Cait! Since we're on the same team, maybe one of the others will come back, too! : ) Liadan is a strong heroine. I hope you like the book!

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 4896 comments So glad all you ladies enjoyed the book... and Bran. JM writes a really good book and quite unique in the romance genre.

« previous 1