THE Group for Authors! discussion

Publishing and Promoting > bookscloud.us.to

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Notchtree | 31 comments I see my book has turned up as a free download on this website at http://bookscloud.us.to/book/?pid=162...
The book is of course copyright to me.
Who are these people? Anybody got any information?

message 2: by Christa (new)

Christa (christaw) It looks like an aggregation site hosting third-party-provided content in conjunction with those incredibly annoying "just complete these offers to get your whatever" companies.

As for your next step, read their DMCA page: http://bookscloud.us.to/dmca/

message 3: by K.J. (new)

K.J. Farnham Patrick wrote: "I see my book has turned up as a free download on this website at http://bookscloud.us.to/book/?pid=162...
The book is of course copyright to me.
Who are these people? Anybody got any informat..."

At the bottom of the page, it says:

"After successful download user will get only PREVIEW or the first page of the book. We DO NOT host or giving away full ebooks."

I could be wrong, but I don't think this site is run by crooks.

message 4: by Ken (new)

Ken (kendoyle) | 347 comments Most pirate/malware sites don't have actual copies of the book anyway. All they want is your credit card number, or to infect your computer with a virus.

I didn't click the link, but as Christa said, it sounds like just another aggregation site.

message 5: by Pami (new)

Pami L. | 12 comments If your book is Copyright you can sue that website for doing free download on your book and you are not getting paid. I would if they were doing this with my books. And also find out which people downloaded it to and make them pay you back for reading the book. And if they don't it can be jail time. Good Luck in getting paid.

message 6: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Notchtree | 31 comments Christa wrote: "It looks like an aggregation site hosting third-party-provided content in conjunction with those incredibly annoying "just complete these offers to get your whatever" companies.

As for your next s..."

Thanks for the DCMA link. I have submitted a a removal request supplying the information they ask for,

message 7: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Notchtree | 31 comments Pami wrote: "If your book is Copyright you can sue that website for doing free download on your book and you are not getting paid. I would if they were doing this with my books. And also find out which people d..."

I have asked for the page to be removed. I have no idea how I would find out who had downloaded it. They say they only supply the first page, which would give a very weird impression of my complete book! So I doubt if I could get payment for one page anyway as longer excerpts are available on the book's website. And enforcing it would be problematical anyway I think.

message 8: by Christa (last edited Nov 02, 2014 10:40AM) (new)

Christa (christaw) Patrick wrote: "Thanks for the DCMA link. I have submitted a a removal request supplying the information they ask for."

You're welcome. Most of these sites do comply with the takedown requests because they tend to straddle the line of legality and they want to stay up as long as possible.

Pami wrote: "If your book is Copyright you can sue that website for doing free download on your book and you are not getting paid. I would if they were doing this with my books. And also find out which people d..."

Pami, that's not really how copyright enforcement works. You cannot take further action until you've first made use of the DMCA takedown procedure, and then only if they refuse to comply. If they don't comply, you can then go to their ISP / hosting company and report the violations. If you want to sue, you have to be able to prove damages in order to make it worth the cost of a lawsuit. You can't get downloader information from a web site without a court order, and you have to be able to prove they actually have the book in their possession (not all downloads are what they claim to be) and, again, prove damages to proceed against the downloaders themselves.

Finally, small-scale copyright infringement is usually a civil offense, not a criminal offense. That means maybe fines but not jail time.

Have you ever noticed that the copyright infringement lawsuits you hear about are generally brought by very large companies? That's because it's expensive, very expensive to bring suit.

It used to be worse. The DMCA at least gives recourse for the average person to act - by requesting that infringing material that they own the rights to be removed from a web site - without needing a legal team and other costs. (The DMCA has many, many problems, but it at least does that much.)

Though copyright infringement is a problem, and has been since copyright has existed, worrying about it overly much is going to cost you more time, energy and emotional well-being than you will ever be able to recoup in cash. If you see what you believe is your book on a site, follow the DMCA takedown procedure, and keep in mind the following:

1) Availability does not mean it's being downloaded - the site in question may not even have your book, they may just be using your cover / title to draw in users, and even if they do have it, that doesn't mean anyone is actually downloading it. Most downloaders are after the latest big name bestsellers.

2) A download doesn't mean a lost sale - unless they would have paid for it if they hadn't found it for free, you haven't lost a potential sale.

3) A download doesn't mean they read it for free - many downloaders are hoarders, and they only ever read a tiny fraction of the thousands of files they download.

and...

4) Many download sites exists, as was pointed out in an earlier post, not to give away illegal copies of books, etc, but rather to sucker downloaders into giving up their credit card information so that it can be stolen.

I'm not saying you should ignore it, only that one should put it into perspective and not give it more power than it deserves.

There are ways you can somewhat minimize those downloads that might be a lost sale - make your books available to customers in as many stores and as many geographical regions as possible. This is especially true if you publish your books with DRM*. Recently, some major ebook retailers have made it rather onerous for customers to easily read the books they have purchased, and that sort of thing can have a "darknet backlash". I'm not excusing piracy, mind you, but making it hard for paying customers to use what they've bought is going to make at least some of them think about it.

*DRM does nothing to stop the sort of piracy we're discussing here, by the way. It only stops casual sharing - you know, Grandma's book club who doesn't realize that they shouldn't pass around ebooks like they used to do with paper books. I, personally, would skip the DRM altogether (most retailers allow you to chose DRM or not) and, instead, include a friendly note in the beginning of the book asking people not to share it. (Smashwords has a nice statement to this effect in the front of books available there.) I mean, after all, those who really want to do it aren't going to be stopped regardless.

message 9: by E.N. (new)

E.N. McNamara (ElizabethMcNamara) | 82 comments You're a fountain of good information and insight, Crista. Thanks for taking the time.

message 10: by E.N. (new)

E.N. McNamara (ElizabethMcNamara) | 82 comments Sorry, *Christa

message 11: by E.N. (new)

E.N. McNamara (ElizabethMcNamara) | 82 comments Sorry, *Christa

message 12: by Christa (new)

Christa (christaw) You're welcome, and don't worry about misspelling my name. :) I just had to correct a typo in my post that made it look like I was encouraging Grandma to be a pirate. (Oh the difference an "n't" makes on the end of a word...)

message 13: by David (new)

David Watkins | 11 comments Mine isn't listed. Now I'm offended...

message 14: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Notchtree | 31 comments It would appear to have been removed although it is still indexed, but if you search for it, and find it, when you click the link, it's not there.