Connecting Readers and Writers discussion

Writer's Station > Trading Reviews: Good or Bad Idea?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joel (new)

Joel Bresler I've come to the conclusion that trading book reviews with other authors is probably less than desirable. At least one may base their review/rating on what the other says about them; and both are likely to review with that possibility in mind. It's probably better to be reviewed by those you haven't or aren't reviewing yourself.

message 2: by Emma (new)

Emma Jaye | 8 comments Joining a non-reciprocal review group such as https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...
solves that problem.

message 3: by Joel (new)

Joel Bresler A good tip, Emma. Thanks

message 4: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Vellacott Emma wrote: "Joining a non-reciprocal review group such as https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...
solves that problem."

Thanks Emma I saw this and just signed up!

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma Jaye | 8 comments Thanks Natalie, it usually works very well for all concerned.

message 6: by Jim (last edited Nov 09, 2014 12:07PM) (new)

Jim Vuksic | 129 comments Trading, purchasing, and/or soliciting reviews is not necessary. Traditional promotion and marketing activities will eventually generate sales. Readers' reviews will gradually follow.

message 7: by AEA (new)

AEA | 1 comments Jim wrote: "Trading, purchasing, and/or soliciting reviews is not necessary. Traditional promotion and marketing activities will eventually generate sales. Readers' reviews will gradually follow."

Thanks for the reminder, Jim!

message 8: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Bad.

message 9: by Martyn (new)

Martyn Halm (amsterdamassassinseries) | 48 comments Feliks wrote: "Bad."
Bad. Bad.

message 10: by Marie (new)

Marie (naturechild02) I have to agree with Jamie. I've been promoting my ebooks all over Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, blogs, etc. and it hasn't generated reviews at all. Or sales. I don't have the kind of cash needed to slap ads all over the net.

On the other hand, reviews swaps are a 50/50 in my experience. I've had some people give me excellent reviews and some that I reviewed for and still haven't heard back from, many months later.
You just never know.