Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Atonement
This topic is about Atonement
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > McEwan, Ian - Atonement - Informal Buddy Read; Start January 1, 2015

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30837 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion of Atonement by Ian McEwan

Book Synopsis:
Ian McEwan’s symphonic novel of love and war, childhood and class, guilt and forgiveness provides all the satisfaction of a brilliant narrative and the provocation we have come to expect from this master of English prose.

On a hot summer day in 1934, thirteen-year-old Briony Tallis witnesses a moment’s flirtation between her older sister, Cecilia, and Robbie Turner, the son of a servant and Cecilia’s childhood friend. But Briony’s incomplete grasp of adult motives—together with her precocious literary gifts—brings about a crime that will change all their lives. As it follows that crime’s repercussions through the chaos and carnage of World War II and into the close of the twentieth century, Atonement engages the reader on every conceivable level, with an ease and authority that mark it as a genuine masterpiece.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

reserved

message 4: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (everlastinggrace) | 2360 comments Count me in, I'll give it a whirl :)

message 5: by Sanskriti (new)

Sanskriti Nagar | 278 comments Me in as well

message 6: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 14257 comments Mod
Loved the movie. I'll see if I can get this one

message 7: by Sarah (last edited Oct 31, 2014 02:24PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah | 3273 comments Me too... I may try, that is.

message 8: by Sunshine (new) - added it

Sunshine (sunshine22222) | 803 comments Count me in. Thanks

message 9: by Shinjini (new) - added it

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 292 comments I'm in for this one.

message 10: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer i'm in

Sarah | 3273 comments Hope to see folks join. I am starting.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Good luck! I'm sure most of you (perhaps all of you) will enjoy it. I'm one of the rare few that can't stand the book. I will say more when everyone is finished with it.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished the 1st quarter - end of chapter 8. It's quite slow at the moment because we're viewing events of one day from different characters points of view but I am enjoying it.

Has everyone see the film? I loved it.

(view spoiler)

message 14: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

I loved the movie, but it looks like I won't be able to get to this book right now. I'll be interested to see how you all find it though!

message 15: by Matty (new) - added it

Matty | 16 comments I actually have this book but never read it, may I join you guys?(:

message 16: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Of course Matty, jump on in!

Sarah | 3273 comments Pigletto wrote: "Finished the 1st quarter - end of chapter 8. It's quite slow at the moment because we're viewing events of one day from different characters points of view but I am enjoying it.

Has everyone see ..."

I saw the movie, but don't think I am remembering it all to well. Will maybe see it again when I finish the book. I am listening to the audio and I have had trouble following the different POVs. I will see where I am and then get back with some questions someone may be able to clarify - Pigletto?. Or feel free to tell me what is going on. I am about where you are.

Sarah | 3273 comments Or could you just explain what Briony thinks she saw? (view spoiler) I am so lost.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarah wrote: "Or could you just explain what Briony thinks she saw? I am so lost."

I hope this helps. This must be quite confusing to listen to as the chapters switch to different points of view but there is no heading at the start of each chapter to state who we are following in that chapter and it can take quite a few paragraphs before it is revealed who it is.

(view spoiler)

Sarah | 3273 comments Thank you - that helps a lot. I am listening to some things again.

message 21: by Kristin (new) - added it

Kristin | 840 comments I am going to start this on audio tomorrow, I hope it's not too confusing for me. I absolutely loved the movie!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished part 1 - I can't believe I'm already halfway through I was sure this book would take me awhile to read. I'm really enjoying it. So far it's pretty close to the film only with more insight into the characters and what they are feeling especially Briony. We also get to know Emily Tallis, Cecilia, Briony and Leon's mother who from what I can remember of the film didn't appear much.

(view spoiler)

Sarah | 3273 comments I have to say I have been a little bored in this middle part of the book. Somewhere in Part III (view spoiler) I do want to see how the ending plays out. I hope to finish tonight. I am glad I remember absolutely nothing from the movie. I want to watch it again when I am finished with the audio book.

Cynthia (cynthiab) I only have 2 vivid memories of the movie, and I won't give either of them away. I think the strongest thing I came away with was the pronunciation of 'migraine' which is so much better than the American pronunciation. It has so much more drama. I think my family would have been more understanding if I had said 'Shhh Mummy's having a meeeegraine'. Everything you need to know is right there in the word. I love it.

Back to the book - In Chapter 3, Briony says (view spoiler)

I'm up to the middle of Chapter 7, without much to add other than (view spoiler)

Sarah | 3273 comments The wedding (view spoiler)

message 26: by Sunshine (new) - added it

Sunshine (sunshine22222) | 803 comments I book was on hold and I got it today. I'll start reading today. Yahoo!

Princess Godoy (feelinggenius) | 233 comments I heard many great things about the book so I decided to read this and join you guys :)

Sarah | 3273 comments Well I finished. I did not love this book.But I got to add it to my 1001 books to read before you die list - which I completely disagree. Why it made this list is totally beyond me.

Princess Godoy (feelinggenius) | 233 comments Sarah wrote: "Well I finished. I did not love this book.But I got to add it to my 1001 books to read before you die list - which I completely disagree. Why it made this list is totally beyond me."

that sucks. I started it and I find it boring. What didn't you like about the book?

Sarah | 3273 comments OK I think you hit the nail on the head for me - kind of boring. But it wasn't completely boring - and I didn't think it was a bad story, just not a great story - IMHO.

Princess Godoy (feelinggenius) | 233 comments Finished Part 1
(view spoiler)

Princess Godoy (feelinggenius) | 233 comments Part 2 doesn't get me so l will talk about Part 3

(view spoiler)

Sarah | 3273 comments That would be a hard one, but Cecelia I felt also could have done more to not let things go so south. Briony was so young and I felt very confused.

Cynthia (cynthiab) Somewhere in Part II (view spoiler)

I like it. It's McEwan, so I wasn't expecting a lot of fast paced action sequences.

Cynthia (cynthiab) Princess wrote: "Part 2 doesn't get me so l will talk about Part 3..."

In response to your question, (view spoiler)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Atonement (other topics)
The Kitchen House (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ian McEwan (other topics)