Restricted Section Book Club discussion

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, #1)
This topic is about Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
NOVEMBER: Mr. Penumbra's > Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore!

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kristina Horner (kristinahorner) | 111 comments Mod
Coming in at a whopping 39% of all votes, our November book is going to be Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore! Hooray!

So, here's how this will work. Get your hands on the book, however you want. Used, new, digital, physical - it doesn't matter!

Take a few days to read it! I won't be putting up discussion threads until early-mid next week, so you won't be missing anything yet. Then, once the discussion threads are up, it's time to chat! We'll be discussing the book all month, so be sure to join in the fun.

If you've already read it, you can either join us for a re-read, or just wait until we get to the discussion part of the month and you can join in then.

This is exciting! Thanks for joining, everyone!

The Rudie Librarian (Brian) (therudielibrarian) | 14 comments I have a hold on it at my library! Looking forward to checking it out! YAY new book club!

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy C (amy_c_books) | 20 comments In all the excitement of NaNo coming and trying to keep my TBR small I totally forgot about this awesome book club. Decisions, decisions...which book do I take off my super long list of 4...

Jack  (stormoak144) | 18 comments I have the ebook on hold! Can't wait to read it!

message 5: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Dawson (adladybug) | 17 comments Can't wait to read it!!! Are you doing a live show for it?

message 6: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Dawson (adladybug) | 17 comments Can't wait to read it!!! Are you doing a live show for it?

Finbarr (fionnbharr) | 10 comments I have the book, now to start reading it!

Bianca | 3 comments I read it not that long ago so I'm waiting for the discussion part - have fun! :)

Nicole Craswell (nicolecraswell) | 10 comments Ah I've been thinking of picking this up for months, guess now I have some motivation to actually do if!

message 10: by Abby (last edited Oct 31, 2014 07:38PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Abby I'll be listening to the audiobook. :)

message 11: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary (bookzlover) Just picked it up from my library! I can't wait to get started.

message 12: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary (bookzlover) Just picked it up from my library! I can't wait to get started.

Sammy Page (sammehpage) | 24 comments I'm downloading the audio copy from my library right now to my phone! (They didnt have the actual ebook) I'm so stoked for this!

message 14: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Dawson (adladybug) | 17 comments I enjoy creating a large book collection so I just ordered it off of Amazon and it's coming on Tuesday!!

The Rudie Librarian (Brian) (therudielibrarian) | 14 comments Alyssa wrote: "I enjoy creating a large book collection so I just ordered it off of Amazon and it's coming on Tuesday!!"

I'm with you on the large book collection. But after my 20 book October haul, I didn't figure I could justify another book this month with my wife. I will have to wait until after I get paid in later this month before I buy more.

Colin Barrow | 37 comments Got this from my local bookshop today

message 17: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Dawson (adladybug) | 17 comments The Lit Cave wrote: "Alyssa wrote: "I enjoy creating a large book collection so I just ordered it off of Amazon and it's coming on Tuesday!!"

I'm with you on the large book collection. But after my 20 book October ha..."

I have to have a budget of how much I can spend each month otherwise I'd be basically broke. You can never have too many books!

Yay, happy reading, guys! I'll get those discussion threads up soon! :)

Alyssa | 1 comments No way! I literally just picked this up from the library yesterday, and I was waffling on whether I'd have time to read it this months with NaNo! Well then, I guess I'll have to make time! Thanks for the added motivation!

Jack  (stormoak144) | 18 comments Alyssa wrote: "I enjoy creating a large book collection so I just ordered it off of Amazon and it's coming on Tuesday!!"

Wish I could do that. But then I need to figure out how to get it home come the end of the year. Plus it takes about a month to get where i live. :(

message 21: by Abby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abby (abbyzinger) | 15 comments Debbie wrote: "Alyssa wrote: "I enjoy creating a large book collection so I just ordered it off of Amazon and it's coming on Tuesday!!"

Wish I could do that. But then I need to figure out how to get it home come..."

I'm in the same boat as both of you. It's going to be a pain to move all my books once I'm at the end of college but GOD DO I LOVE OWNING BOOKS. I'm just a huge rereader so it makes a lot of sense for me to own books I really enjoy.

Jack  (stormoak144) | 18 comments Abby wrote: "Debbie wrote: "Alyssa wrote: "I enjoy creating a large book collection so I just ordered it off of Amazon and it's coming on Tuesday!!"

Wish I could do that. But then I need to figure out how to g..."

Throughout Uni I didn't have a problem buying books, because I was still fairly close to home. Right now I'm working in an isolated community where the only access is via airplane, and you have to pay per pound of luggage. That makes it quite costly to move heavy books.

message 23: by Abby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abby (abbyzinger) | 15 comments Debbie wrote: "Abby wrote: "Debbie wrote: "Alyssa wrote: "I enjoy creating a large book collection so I just ordered it off of Amazon and it's coming on Tuesday!!"

Wish I could do that. But then I need to figure..."

Oh yeah that would REALLY complicate things! That's one of those times where an e-reader is far superior haha

Jack  (stormoak144) | 18 comments Abby wrote: "Debbie wrote: "Abby wrote: "Debbie wrote: "Alyssa wrote: "I enjoy creating a large book collection so I just ordered it off of Amazon and it's coming on Tuesday!!"

Wish I could do that. But then I..."

Yup! Looking into buying one now. :) I had one years ago, but it broke during the warrenty, was replaced and then less than 6 months later the new one broke. They wouldn't replace it. I'm hoping to have better luck this time.

Andreea (magicb) I will listen to the audiobook. Have too many books to read this month.

Finbarr (fionnbharr) | 10 comments It's taking a while for me to get into this book as my migraines keep getting in the way. So I might be a bit late to the discussion threads.

Colin Barrow | 37 comments I just checked the UK edition and no glow in the dark cover for us :(

message 28: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary (bookzlover) I don't think the cover on my edition is glow in the dark either. :(

message 29: by Abby (new)

Abby (abcadab) | 36 comments I better get this book fast!

WHAT! I need to check if mine glows RIGHT AWAY.

Also I've been a little busy with nanowrimo but I'm slowly chuggin' along reading this book. I'll be to the discussion threads soon!

Danielle Caponpon | 5 comments It really does glow in the dark. I've had it for a couple weeks now and didn't even know.

message 32: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Dawson (adladybug) | 17 comments Do you guys have paperback or hardcover copies?

message 33: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Dawson (adladybug) | 17 comments Do you guys have paperback or hardcover copies?

Annelie Paperback, but i kind if regret it, because it's printed so closely to the spine that it's a pain to read...:-(

message 35: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Dawson (adladybug) | 17 comments I have paperback too and mine doesn't glow in the dark and I'm sad

Virginia (vlgrantham) | 7 comments I started the paperback last night (it does glow!), and I'm intrigued even though I'm not too far in. Looking forward to reading more!

message 37: by Maggieoh (last edited Nov 13, 2014 06:23PM) (new)

Maggieoh | 6 comments Gah, I'm in a pickle. So far I've only been able to get the audio version of this book and haven't been finding the opportunities to listen to it. I thought I would listen to it on walks, but NaNoWriMo has taken up the majority of my free time. My library just got the text version back in today. I don't know if I should bother starting it at this point.

I'm going to be reading another book (The Knife of Never Letting Go) with another book club starting Nov 22nd so I would only have 9 days to finish this one. I'm afraid it isn't going to be a gobble-it-up kind of read, though. The premise of this book sounds interesting but I don't want to read further into any of the threads to find out how people here are really feeling about it so far. Any thoughts?

Andreea (magicb) @Maggieoh Are you reading The Knife of Never Letting Go with Novel Books & Reading Challenges? I think I might take part in that one too.

message 39: by Maggieoh (new)

Maggieoh | 6 comments @Andreea Yes, I am! It sounds really interesting and I like that they break down the daily reading requirements so everyone is on the same page...literally :-) It's nice to have flexibility but it also makes for a more lively and current discussion to have people do it together.

@MagieOh It's okay if you don't finish the book in time... the threads will still be there for you to peruse and comment on even after the month is over!

Also, I totally tested out my book last night and IT GLOWS! I never would have known!

message 41: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy C (amy_c_books) | 20 comments I just don't know about this book...and I too just found out that the book glows. so for this reason, and this reason only I am trudging along because I just have to know if there is a reason :)