The Help The Help question

Book or Movie
Sue Sheahan Sue (last edited Nov 12, 2014 10:05AM ) Oct 31, 2014 10:01AM
Do you read the book first or do you see the movie first?

Thanks for all the comments. I try to read the book first as they can't include everything in the movie.
In this particular case. I was disappointed in the movie only in that I felt there were two major scenes missing. First, the one where the young man (I think his name was Robert, but not sure) was beaten and blinded, which was how his mother was the one who ended up in jail). In the movie, you have no idea why this woman is all of a sudden in jail.
Then, secondly, they totally missed the murder of the black group leader on his front lawn in sight of his family and he was an actual, true leader in history.
I just truly thought those two scenes were significant to the story and were sadly omitted.
Other than that, I do agree with all of your comments. I adored the book and really liked the movie.

Both. Read book first. Movie did a great job casting.

I read the book first and then watched the movie. I enjoyed both of them.

Book
Movie a very close second, very.

deleted member Nov 13, 2014 01:09PM   0 votes
Read the book first. The movie adaptation was excellent.

deleted member Dec 13, 2014 02:18PM   0 votes
Both! i read the book first and i watched the movie thinking that it won't be as good as the book (because any movie is better than the book!) but i had to change my mind, and i recommend everyone who have read the book to watch the movie

I read the book first, and saw the movie later. Loved the movie too.

This was a particularly good movie adaptation. Neither one is exceptional, but the movie is nearly as good as the book, which is hard to do in a couple hours.

Both are good. I saw the movie first (loved it) then I decided to read the book, and I love the story even more.

Both.

I typically like to watch the movie first. I'm usually disappointed if I see the movie afterward. The movie first gets me wanting more, to see the depth of the story.

I believe I read the book first then saw the movie and was like - the book was so much more in depth (then again, it is a book detailing a lot of things in hundreds of pages and the movie was a few hours long).

I loved the book as much as I loved the movie. Casting was brilliantly done. Awesome job Tate Taylor!

I saw the movie first book second. I like the movie better.

Any book will be more suspenseful if you read it before seeing the movie. However, in the case of The Help, the movie is just as good as the book. I absolutely loved them both. Maybe reward yourself for finishing the book by watching the movie.

I read the book and then I watched the movie. After reading the book, I was excited to see the movie. It (the movie) didn't disappoint.

I agree with Cathy, BOTH!! This is one case where the book and movie go hand in hand!!

Watching the movie inspired me to read the book. The movie was well done, although there are some differences between the book and movie it is one of the few where the movie closely mirrors the book. I was greatly pleased with both!

I saw the movie first. I really enjoyed both.

Agree with everyone else. I read the book first & loved it. The movie wasn't AS good (because when is a movie really better than the book?), but it was still good!

Actually loved them both. I did the book audio and it was excellent,

I loved the book more. It's one of the best books I've ever read. But, the movie is really good. Great casting. Viola Davis, Emma Stone and Octavia Spencer were all amazing choices for the roles. Even the others like Bryce Dallas Howard and Jessica Chastain were amazing too. But, I still prefer the book.

Both