Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

Agnes Grey > Week 2: Chapters 7-12

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new)

Anastasia Kinderman | 654 comments Mod
Week 2 discussion will take place here.

message 2: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new)

What are your impressions of the children Agnes is governess "over" at the second home she works at? Do you think things are a little better this time around because she has a different attitude towards her job?

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 315 comments AGs charges at Horton Lodge are also odious.

I think that now our MC though keeps her principles and "does her duty" as best as she is able. The difference now seems to be that she is more realistic in that the parental neglect, bad behavior and poor attitudes of her pupils is not the same shock as they were in her first job. She doesn't completely give up on her pupils and still tries to teach them, but she is now familiar with the lack of cooperation from the parents and having no power over the children.

I wonder if AG and Mr. Weston will take an interest in one another? What do all of you think?

message 4: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new)

Andrea (Catsos Person) wrote: "I wonder if AG and Mr. Weston will take an interest in one another? What do all of you think? "

The stage is certainly being set.

Helen_in_the_uk Anastasia wrote: "What are your impressions of the children Agnes is governess "over" at the second home she works at? Do you think things are a little better this time around because she has a different attitude t..."

I found the children at Horton Lodge a lot less obnoxious than previously. However, they have been encouraged to be lazy about their studies and indeed anything that will require effort. This is not going to create useful human beings. Agnes also has different expectations and approaches the children less confrontationally because they are older. This may lead to a happier situation for her.

message 6: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new)

I'm just glad these kids don't torture animals. There are few things that get me madder, I'm amazed at Agnes's patience with the kids from her first governess. I would've done terrible things to them.

message 7: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 115 comments At one level it must have been easier to deal with the older children, but they are very spoilt and obviously she derives very little satisfaction from her job. The lady who looked after my children before they went to preschool is currently employed as a nanny for a 4 year old boy. She is the eighth person in as many months to be appointed since nobody can put up with his tantrums and bad manners for longer than a month!

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 304 comments I think Agnes, while still idealistic and firm in her faith, is aware of the limitations that she has while given such little authority.
I'm interested that both mother's had a favorite child who was wonderful but that is usually the most difficult child- probably more spoilt than the others.
I also wonder if the Murray daughters are representative of most upper class women. They are educated to be beautiful and useless, and learn little regard for others.
We see 'going round the cottages' in many novels. Which always sounds like such a good idea, obviously handled differently by different people.
It's interesting how well Bronte brings her own spiritual values into the novel, without being heavy handed. Although we see this in many Bronte works.