English Translations of Scandinavian/Nordic Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Group read-alongs > November 2014 read-along

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Oct 31, 2014 07:41AM) (new)

Ken Fredette (klfredette) | 4311 comments Mod
This month will be reading Helsinki Noir by James Thompson. He wrote a short story and edited several more for us to read. Also we will read The Murder of Harriet Krohn by Karin Fossum for those who are readers, par excellent. Good reading.

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbarahagerty) | 4 comments I haven't read Karin Fossum yet, but I've ordered the first two books in the Inspector Sejer series and had planned to begin reading them in order. Is reading them in order advisable for thoroughly enjoying and understanding the books? Or can I read The Murder Of Harriet Krohn along with this group without having read the earlier Sejer books first?

message 3: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

If you're a stickler for reading books in order, and you haven't read any books of Inspector Sejer, read the books in order. You won't be confused later. You can pick them up a lot cheaper by using used books that way.

message 4: by Gary (new)

Gary Van Cott | 132 comments That's one of the problems with Fossum. Since there is almost no character development with her police characters, it hardly matters what order you read them in.

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 2 comments I read Helsinki Noir. I was a bit disappointed because I thought James Thompson's story would be part of his Inspector Vaara series, but it was something totally different. Otherwise, it was fine, I enjoyed some of the stories more than others. It was a bit harder to sustain interest than a regular novel because you have to keep starting over with each story.

I haven't read anything by Karin Fossum yet. I just recently purchased some of her books, but I'm sure I'll try to read them in order. I really am a bit of a stickler about that.

message 6: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Finally got The Murder of Harriet Krohn and will report back as soon as I finish.

message 7: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbarahagerty) | 4 comments Kenneth wrote: "If you're a stickler for reading books in order, and you haven't read any books of Inspector Sejer, read the books in order. You won't be confused later. You can pick them up a lot cheaper by usi..."

Thanks for your advise. I think I will read them in order. I ordered and finally received Eva's Eye and Don't Look Back and will start them when I finish Helsinki Noir.

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather (barrygreenback) | 9 comments Just reading Murder of Harriet Krohn, first novel I have read by Karin Fossum - really enjoying her writing style - good to tap into the psyche of the murderer - thoroughly enjoying- will recommend to others and seek the rest of the series

message 9: by Stephen (last edited Dec 01, 2014 07:03AM) (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 33 comments I like Karin Fossum's books, her style reminds me of Ruth Rendall. I do not mind there is not a lot of personal drama surrounding Inspector Sejer besides issues with his dog, still it is nice that there is a series where the main character is not a complete personal wreck. I do like Sejer's interview technique as written by Fossum. Still on the wait list for the audio with the local library, nice to see so many fans of her are out there. My favorite book by her & one I always recommend to people seeking a good read is The Indian Bride.

message 10: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi D | 122 comments I am just about to sit down to begin reading The Murder of Harriet Krohn. Have read all of the books in this series in order. Loved them all!

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather (barrygreenback) | 9 comments Finished and highly enjoyed, thank you for introducing me to Karin Fossum, I will now eagerly seek out her other books!

message 12: by Harriet (new)

Harriet (harrietstay) | 24 comments I'm so far behind in my reading. Just received The Murder of Harriet Krohn today in the mail and can't wait to begin, but my library copy of I am Pilgrim is due back tomorrow so I must finish that first. Long waiting list for that one. I, too, have read all of Karin Fossum's books and I tell everyone every chance I get that I'd buy her shopping list. It is her imagination that surpasses so many others. She thinks differently than the rest of us. Her's are a study in human behavior not police procedurals.

Stephen, I, too, loved The Indian Bride. Of course I did.