You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Buddy Reads > Revival by Stephen King

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments A few of us are wanting to read Stephen King's latest release Revival. It comes out on 11th November.

We thought we could start around 17th November to allow people to get their book copies - I know I for one will not be receiving my copy on the day of it's release as I have reserved it at my library. I'm probably first in line though as I placed my reservation a couple months ago!

So who's in?

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I have quite a busy reading month in November but if I can fit it in, I may join you.

message 3: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments I M in

message 4: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments Lisa wrote: "I have quite a busy reading month in November but if I can fit it in, I may join you."

You and me both Lisa! Not to worry if you start later.

message 5: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments I must say I have been going into King's earlier work and I just don't seem to care for it as much ad the newer stuff for some reason. Not sure if it has a dated feel to it or what it is exactly

message 6: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments I have to agree with you Travis, although I haven't read a huge amount of his earlier stuff (The Running Man, Misery, The Gunslinger). I find that sometimes I don't always get what's going on or the wording seems off on occasions with the older books. I do have quite a number of his earlier books on my shelf/kindle so time will tell how I get on with those. I am looking forward to this one though! If it's as good as Mr. Mercedes then we'll be in for a treat!

message 7: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47863 comments I've pre-ordered it. I'm in too.

message 8: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (thewalkingdude) | 301 comments I don't know when it's coming to my country, but hopefully I'll be able to join you people.

message 9: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 1977 comments I'm in as well, have ordered it.

message 10: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 1977 comments Yay, my copy of Revival has been sent to me yesterday, so I should have it by Friday at the latest! Can't wait!

message 11: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47863 comments I've pre-ordered the audiobook which is to be released Nov 11.

message 12: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13171 comments I pre-ordered the audiobook too, but now I'm not sure that I'll have time to read it right when I get it. I have a few (too many) books going at the moment.

message 13: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments I have no idea when mine will arrive. I'm still waiting for my other pre-order from the library that I reserved but I think it's a problem with that publisher. Fingers crossed this one is a different publisher and it will arrive as quickly as Mr Mercedes did.

message 14: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 1977 comments Yesss, I received my copy on Tuesday, certainly looks yummy! Nice blue cover too.
Revival by Stephen King

message 15: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments Shiny! I'm very jealous! I'm impatiently checking the library website every day (or maybe twice a day) to see when their order arrives and then when my copy is ready for collection. Fingers crossed I'll have it by Monday, if not, I'll buy a copy of my own so I can start with you guys.

message 16: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47863 comments I know we mentioned that we would start the discussion on the 17th, but I'm going to start the book tomorrow. I'm a slow poke, so it shouldn't take much for people to catch up with me.

message 17: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments Janice wrote: "I know we mentioned that we would start the discussion on the 17th, but I'm going to start the book tomorrow. I'm a slow poke, so it shouldn't take much for people to catch up with me."

Go ahead! So far my copy hasn't been received by the library so it's looking like I'll buy it tomorrow and join you guys. I'll pause my reading of Swan Song as that buddy read has stopped since I'm the only one left reading it.

message 18: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments Result! Just looked on Amazon to gauge how much the book is and it's dropped from £9 to £2.99! So I just bought it for my kindle and have cancelled my library reservation. So excited!

message 19: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 1977 comments Sarah wrote: "Result! Just looked on Amazon to gauge how much the book is and it's dropped from £9 to £2.99! So I just bought it for my kindle and have cancelled my library reservation. So excited!"

Wow Sarah, what good luck you had! I plan on starting tomorrow as well, although I'm in the middle of half a dozen other books.

message 20: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments At 10-15% in really not pulled in by the story so far. Still just the back story so I'm sure it has a purpose to the main story we shall see.

message 21: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47863 comments I'm at the part where the preacher gets fired. I don't think that's a spoiler because King foreshadowed it a couple of times. It seems to me that King likes to do that quite a bit. I'm not a huge fan over foreshadowing if it's overdone, and this got mentioned twice.

So far, I'm enjoying the story. It took me a little while to get used to Morse's narration. I wish Will Patton had narrated it. For some reason, I thought he was going to be the narrator for this one.

Charles (view spoiler)

The Sermon (view spoiler)

I'm enjoying the time setting of the book.

message 22: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments I completely agree with your feeling on Charles in your spoiler. (view spoiler). While I still admit the story itself is not wowwing me. I do like the setting. I remember playing with the green soldiers at my grandmothers. Probably still has a few. Had a viewfinder. I know some of the named music but some I don't at leasy by thr title and not hearing it. Vacation Bible school I did a couple times. Even though I was an 80's child there is stille a lot of child hood memories from Jamie. Probably since my parents would be in the neighborhood of Jamie's age and told of it. I just don't see where this is all gping yet.

message 23: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments After reading the book blurb I see I am about to the point of Jamie meeting back up with Charles years later. Apparently what will be the Revival the title speaks of. I think tonight when I get back into this the story will be leaving its somewhat innocent small town story and heading to the darkness .

message 24: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47863 comments Hmmm... I would have been about Jamie's age. My oldest grandchild will be 16 on New Years' Day. I'm freaking out because I have a grandson that age.

I can relate completely to the religion aspect of the book, except we weren't Methodist. We had "Young People" on a Friday night, but you had to be a teenager to attend. Jamie was only 6 when he started the MYG. Daily Vacation Bible School was a regular part of my summers, as was Bible Camp. But most importantly, the preacher was above reproach. (view spoiler)

message 25: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments I'm going to start reading now that I've seen a couple spoiler tags used by you guys! Are you two on audio? I'm on kindle which has chapters listed but no page numbers.

message 26: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments Audio

message 27: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47863 comments I'm reading audio as well.

I'm midway Chapter 5. (view spoiler)

message 28: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments I don't know where I am but the story is becoming more interesting. I don't know what is up but neither do the characters it is a mystery and they are starting to want answers.

message 29: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments I read chapter 1 last night - I haven't read any of your spoilers yet as I think I need to be slightly further on for that. I am liking being back in King's world and his familiar writing style (well his style of late anyway). Not a huge amount has happened yet but the book is obviously written by an older Jamie looking back and there are indeed some hints that (view spoiler)

The toy soldiers remind me of one of the Toy Story films! I had a ViewFinder, in fact I think my parents still have it in one of their cupboards - I thought it was amazing - I think I had some ET, Superman and Terrahawks discs that I looked at but I think my favourite was of this huge great silvery shoal of fish.

I had to look up a couple of terms - "three-flies-six-grounders" - I thought it might have something to do with baseball but I wasn't sure whether it was a slang term for it or a different version like we have different versions of cricket. I'm still not sure though. I also looked up Shiloh Church as I've not heard of that before - looks like it might be Baptist?!?

message 30: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments I've finished chapter 2 (view spoiler)

message 31: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments I hadn't heard of Shiloh church either.

message 32: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47863 comments Is Shiloh church the one Jamie and his family attended? If so, it's Methodist.

I grew up Evangelical, which pretty much has the same doctrine as Baptist. I have Baptist preachers in my family. I have been to Bible camp many times as a child and attended church regularly until I was 16, and have never seen anyone faint or heard anyone speak in tongues. I feel uncomfortable with what I call the charismatic approach that is more prevalent today - the swaying and waving hands in the air. I can't imagine my reaction if I saw people fainting and heard them talking in tongues. I'd probably leave.

We used to have revival meetings all the time, and had many evangelist preachers come. I'm really interested to see what happens in the book in this regard.

message 33: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments About 80% done. I don't have much to say here. Some blurbs call this a thriller. Bah. Not doing it for me. Right now this is a 3 star which a super ending may bump to a 3.5. No way after reading this far finding it ratber dull will it make a 4 from me.

message 34: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47863 comments That does not bode well, Travis.

message 35: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments I think Jamie's father mentioned the Shiloh Church as possible crazies or at least having a doctrine which is not like theirs.

If only I could have left Janice - that would be my reaction now but as a kid, I had to stay put :-( they were dropping like flies, I had to sit down out of the way of it all as I felt uncomfortable and this girl tried to heal me and started speaking in tongues which didn't help how I felt one bit! And these were teenagers - not adults! I often wonder whether they just did it for the sake of it, to not be left out, giving in to peer pressure and all that. Who knows! It did seem a bit much.

That is not good Travis! I'm not getting a thriller vibe from it at the moment but I've only read two chapters. I am enjoying it though so I'll keep an open mind on the intended genre. Even though it's not amazing for you, you've still managed to whiz through it pretty quick.

I started reading chapter 3 while eating my lunch which was a bad mistake (view spoiler)

message 36: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments Well with King the writing tends to be good. So even if the story is not great at least it's not poorly written. I saw one review said forget Cujo and Salems Lot this is the madterpiece. Well Cujo is the worst one I've read by him so it doesn't take much to be better than that.

message 37: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments No shiloh church was the other one, not Jamies. I am a Congregationalist which is like many others. We are far from crazy though I like to think we keep it real. As in people drink, swear, some are black some are gay. Main thing is if you want to worship God youre welcome in Church. There isn't much if any prejudice in the congregationalists. Besides I hate to tell many demoninations but if they read the Bible everyone was drinking wine. Jesus turned water into wine. Who ever decided Christians aren't suoposed to drink. I say this only because there are many Methodists in my area and they don't swear or drink. Many og the stricter ones only use a white color if they paint. People can believe whatever they want I just dob't know where they come up with all these rules

message 38: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47863 comments Sarah wrote: "If only I could have left Janice - that would be my reaction now but as a kid, I had to stay put :-( they were dropping like flies, I had to sit down out of the way of it all as I felt uncomfortable and this girl tried to heal me and started speaking in tongues which didn't help how I felt one bit..."

That would have been freaky. I don't care for those kinds of theatrics.

That part in chapter 3 was quite gruesome!

message 39: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47863 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "No shiloh church was the other one, not Jamies. I am a Congregationalist which is like many others. We are far from crazy though I like to think we keep it real. As in people drink, swear, some ar..."

It was probably a fictional name, maybe to emulate churches like Westboro, et al.

We had a lot of rules that I always questioned and argued with my parents about. The explanation usually had something to do with "be in the world but not of the world", and all those things were worldly. I could never understand why we couldn't go to a theatre to see a movie yet it was okay to watch that same movie when it played on TV. The "Jesus turned water into wine" argument was one they also heard from me. I also reminded them that the bible said that you shouldn't be drunken with wine nor gluttonous with food, so if we can't drink wine because we could become drunk, how can we eat food without becoming gluttonous? Do people have no self control?

But things have changed. My parents now go to movies and drink wine. My dad plays cribbage with a real deck of cards (we weren't allowed games with the regular deck of cards, presumably because people gamble with them).

And I now swear....

message 40: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 1977 comments I only managed chapter 1 last night, so not much to discuss yet. So, we're back in Maine now.

message 41: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments Done and glad of it. It was kind of interesting and certainly glad to finally discover what this was all leading to. For lack of a better phrase curremtly all I got is this was kind of stupid for me. Sticking to my 3 stars. Hope eveyone else fares better. This is getting a ridiculous amount of 5 stars and I just don't get why

message 42: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments I guess my biggest issue was I just didn't like any of the characters. Sure there were a couple minor players here and there. Ultimately this was the Jamie and Charlie show and I didn't care for either. Young Jamie was ok.

message 43: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Nov 17, 2014 08:06PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47863 comments I don't find the characters all that likeable either. One of the things that bugs me is the name Jamie. For some reason, it doesn't seem to fit the character.

I didn't get much reading done today. I was interrupted by a crazed druggie who tried (and succeeded) in pushing past me and into the building when I was signing for a package. It's been a bizarre day. Is there a full moon?

message 44: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47863 comments I hope nobody minds, but I've disassociated the link to the book from this thread. I don't like that our discussions go onto the book page, especially when we talk about things like religion and personal experiences. While our group is far from private, it's not as visible as being front and centre on the book page, if that makes any sense.

message 45: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments That's all good by me Janice about disassociating the book from the thread - I didn't realise it got posted on the book page!

Yes Camilla - another Maine based book!

I didn't get anymore read last night.

That guy barging in sounds pretty scary - that kin of thing has happened to you a bit Janice.

message 46: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47863 comments Yes, the incidents seem to be escalating. This one was particularly bad enough to leave me shaken. I hardly slept last night - kept reliving it in my mind.

message 47: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments I told my wife Americans always considered Canada full of peaceful bacon and maple syrup eating folks who get a bit violent with hockey. Must be enough American draft dodgers infiltrated and have corrupted society that now Canada has a bunch of druggies and drunks and creepy security officers.

message 48: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47863 comments LOL! I think I should go to the next hockey game so I can watch the fights from a safe distance and not be involved in the fight... unless the fights break out in the stands. On second thought, pass the bacon and maple syrup.

I've listened a bit more and I'm at the beginning of Chapter 7. He sure is having strange dreams, and they are a bit hard to follow. I think it was in Chapter 6 when Jamie woke up in the wee hours and saw Charlie (view spoiler)

I think the sole thing that adds any tension to the story is (view spoiler)

Oh, King does a shout out to Joyland. I've forgotten much of that book, so it was a bit of a reminder when Charlie talked about the Hollywood Girls taking pictures.

message 49: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments It was not a dream I can't remeber what they come to call them. After effects I guess.

Theres more than brain scramble. These things become the heart of the story. What earlier I called the mystery because that is basically what it turns into.

To say anything more at all would be to give away too much so I'm afraid my lips are sealed.

You will find out much of the after effects quickly. The brain scramble you'll have to makr it all the way to the end although you may be teased thinking you'll be told along the way.

message 50: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47863 comments I have about 10 minutes left in chapter 9 - Charlie is in his 70's and Jamie goes to see him. (view spoiler)

« previous 1