Go Fug Yourself Book Club discussion

Past Threads > Road Trip?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (last edited Nov 01, 2014 12:10AM) (new)

Ann Benjamin (abenjaminauthor) | 7 comments Hi there! I'm currently working on a manuscript and looking for memorable books involving a road trip (preferably set in the US, but open to suggestions).

I've read both Travels with Charley and On The Road. If possible, I'm looking for something in the world of contemporary fiction.

Thanks in advance!

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy This is non-fiction, but Driving Mr. Albert is about a cross-country road trip between two strangers, one of whom stole Einstein's brain. I read it many years ago now, but as I recall, it was very interesting.

message 3: by Bonnie G. (last edited Oct 31, 2014 09:12PM) (new)

Bonnie G. (narshkite) | 1296 comments Mod
Off the top of my head I recommend Travels with Lizbeth: Three Years on the Road and on the Streets. It is about being homeless, but also about a roadtrip with his dog. Also a seriously odd and wonderful YA book, Going Bovine. I almost forgot The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. A hilarious chronicle of a very specific moment in time. And while we are on the topic of that time, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Finally, one that is sort of sad, but beautiful Train Dreams

message 4: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 1 comments Not a road trip, but Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods is really funny.

message 5: by Amy! (new)

Amy! (missamylibrarian) | 11 comments This is a YA but it's excellent: You Are Here

message 6: by Allie (new)

Allie (allieeveryday) | 115 comments Open Road Summer is YA fiction about a road trip.

message 7: by annabel (new)

annabel This isn't a road trip per se, but characters spend a LOT of time driving from place to place (the first part is a young married couple following the rodeo circuit in the 60s) in Larry McMurtry's Moving On.

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann Benjamin (abenjaminauthor) | 7 comments Great suggestions! I'll be adding these all to my 'to read' list.

message 9: by Miz (new)

Miz (marryallthepeople) | 35 comments New adult book, but I enjoyed The Edge of Never.

message 10: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 331 comments Not really contemporary fiction, but American Gods has a lot of road trip elements to it.

message 11: by Megan (new)

Megan An Abundance of Catherines by John Green features a road trip. It stalls out fairly quickly (the road trip, not the book), but it's good.