Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Weird import data

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andréa (new)

Andréa (fernandie) | 152 comments The book Edward Weston's California Landscapes has the cover & ebook ISBN for the preview edition of Carrie Ryan's The Map to Everywhere, but the title and author (presumably) of an art book. The data is imported from Ingram and Worldcat, and it does not appear that it's due to any erroneous merging or librarian carelessness. There doesn't seem to be another edition of Edward Weston's California Landscapes in the Goodreads database, nor anything else by that book's attributed author Janes Enyeart. There also doesn't seem to be any other editions of The Map to Everywhere preview, so I'm not sure which data should be retained in this record and which book should have a new record made.

message 2: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments The cover is the most recent addition (Sep 28, 2014) and it clearly doesn't match what was already there. You could add the correct cover to the Edward Weston book and fix the author. A new record for Carrie Ryans book is probably the best bet if it doesn't already exist.

The same title/cover mess is on Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edward-Weston...

message 3: by Andréa (new)

Andréa (fernandie) | 152 comments Very strange! Thanks for the input. I'll make a new edition for the Carrie Ryans book. Unfortunately, I don't have the cover for the Edward Weston book, but I should be able to find the information to fix the rest of its data.

message 4: by Andréa (new)

Andréa (fernandie) | 152 comments A Google search of the ISBN returns about 2/3 Edward Weston results and about 1/3 Carrie Ryan results. The publisher is the same for both books (Little, Brown), so my guess is they re-used an old, out-of-publication ISBN on the ebook preview for Carrie Ryan's new book. Strange and frustrating, since it makes record-keeping more difficult as well as making it more difficult for people looking for the Edward Weston book to find the right book.

message 5: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments I've added a cover & number of pages & changed the author to James L. Enyeart. Nearly every work I looked at, and this one specifically, have the L. The publisher is listed on the cover as New York Graphic Society. I think Little Brown must have handled the distribution etc.

Nice looking volume. I would be tempted to buy it myself.

message 6: by Andréa (new)

Andréa (fernandie) | 152 comments Banjomike wrote: "I've added a cover & number of pages & changed the author to James L. Enyeart. Nearly every work I looked at, and this one specifically, have the L. The publisher is listed on the cover as New Yor..."

Oh, fantastic! You were much more successful in digging up information than I was.