Gone Girl Gone Girl discussion

your favorite psychological thrillers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 104 (104 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Mehreen Can you guys please suggest some other books like gone girl? I want something that allows you to read the thoughts of the characters involved. So list me some of you favorite thriller novels, and also why you recommend them. Thanks :)

Carrie Definitely Dark Places if you haven't already read it; as good as Gone Girl.

Mehreen Carrie wrote: "Definitely Dark Places if you haven't already read it; as good as Gone Girl."

Okay.Thanks :)

Lala Other than Dark Places are there any other books?

Annie Mehreen wrote: "Carrie wrote: "Definitely Dark Places if you haven't already read it; as good as Gone Girl."

Okay.Thanks :)"

Dark Places from Gyllian or other author?

Linda Kelly Secret Smile by Nicci French is quite good.

Arathi Chitrapura Only The Innocent by Rachel Abbott is also good
and if you havent read books by Karin Slaughter, Tess Gerritsen, Alex Kava, Harlan Coben and there are few more you should try - for now I think the suggested authors will keep you engaged :)

Judith In no particular order:

Defending Jacob - William Landay
Shutter Island - Dennis Lehane
Into the Darkest Corner- Elizabeth Haynes
Her - Harriet Lane
The Silent Wife - A.S.A. Harrison
Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier

Any of the early Nicci French

Have fun :)

Michelle A Kiss Before Dying by Ira Levin is a great psychological thriller. It's old, but it has really stood the test of time.

Daniel I don't know if you'd consider this a psychological thriller, but Jo Nesbo's The Snowman is a terrific book.

Incredibly suspenseful.

message 11: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue My first thought was Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier. It's on my top-ten list.

message 12: by Lisa (last edited Nov 13, 2014 09:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa I also loved Defending Jacob and The Silent Wife but hated - HATED - Shutter Island. I can't say how much.

I heard that Primal Fear is excellent, and I loved the movie. I have never read the book, but it's on my to-read list. Looking forward to it. It has very high reviews here.

A few more:

The Dinner - Hermann Koch
Precious Thing - Colette McBeth
Red 1-2-3 - John Katzenbach - or anything by him, really.
How to Be a Good Wife - Emma Chapman

Lisa

Louise Rachel Abbott's books are fantastic, as are Paula Daly's and Tamar Cohen's.

message 14: by Betsy (last edited Nov 13, 2014 02:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Betsy Hetzel Daniel wrote: "I don't know if you'd consider this a psychological thriller, but Jo Nesbo's The Snowman is a terrific book.

Incredibly suspenseful."

Daniel, HOW I agree w/ you re. Nesbo's THE SNOWMAN; it is THAT good (as are all his books)>
Sue, REBECCA is also on my top 10 list; WHAT a story! Keeps you guessing about so many things throughout the entire book.
Lisat, We will have to agree to disagree on SHUTTER ISLAND as I found ALL the twists and turns so very interesting. And not knowing what was real and what was imagined had me glued to that climatic ending - wow!
Great examples of psychological thrillers , for sure!

Laureen Like Joodith, I would recommend "Into the Darkest Corner" by Elizabeth Haynes. It is my favorite so far. More disturbing because it could be real!

Erica Definitely Dark Places, I liked it way more than Gone Girl

Lisa Betsy wrote: "Daniel wrote: "I don't know if you'd consider this a psychological thriller, but Jo Nesbo's The Snowman is a terrific book.

Incredibly suspenseful."

Daniel, HOW I agree w/ you re. Nesbo's THE SN..."

Betsy, no problem about Shutter Island... that's part of what makes reading amazing. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions! Normally, I adore Dennis Lehane, and two of his more recent books, The Given Day and Live by Night are among my very favorite mysteries ever. I wouldn't necessarily call them psychological thrillers, though, but loved them both!

Sonja Chelsea Cain has a great series, you must read them in order though.

Ursula You may enjoy Denise's Mina's 'Sanctum' , which features a marriage, unreliable narrators and plenty of twists and turns: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

Daniel Betsy wrote: "Daniel wrote: "I don't know if you'd consider this a psychological thriller, but Jo Nesbo's The Snowman is a terrific book.

Incredibly suspenseful."

Daniel, HOW I agree w/ you re. Nesbo's THE SN..."

Betsy, have you read The Son? Totally different than the Harry Hole books, but awesome.

The thing that impresses me about the Harry Hole series is that they seem to have a different style to each of them. Hard to explain what I mean since it has been a few years since I read them.

Betsy Hetzel Daniel wrote: "Betsy wrote: "Daniel wrote: "I don't know if you'd consider this a psychological thriller, but Jo Nesbo's The Snowman is a terrific book.

Incredibly suspenseful."

Daniel, HOW I agree w/ you re. ..."

Well, Daniel, we agree 100% again as I loved THE SON and the character of Sonny. No matter how many he killed on his path of revenge for his father's death, I never stopped rooting for him because I always felt his goodness, his compassion, and his good side. And the complexity of twists was mind-boggling: the police inspector who goes bad, two moles/not one, betrayals of best friends, the father's diary.... = wow! What a book! At first, I didn't think that I'd like a book w/out good ole' Harry but.... now hoping that Nesbo writes some other stand-alone books.

Nadine Patricia Highsmith wrote twisty books. Hitchcock based Strangers on a Train on one of her books. She has interesting characters who are just a little bit "off."

Daniel Betsy wrote: "Daniel wrote: "Betsy wrote: "Daniel wrote: "I don't know if you'd consider this a psychological thriller, but Jo Nesbo's The Snowman is a terrific book.

Incredibly suspenseful."

Daniel, HOW I ag..."

If you've read the Harry Hole books recently, perhaps you can confirm this. One thing I remember from all the books is that they all seem to have different style of writing, whether it be action/adventure, suspense, horror, etc. Some have twists, others straightforward. What do you think?

Betsy Hetzel Daniel wrote: "Betsy wrote: "Daniel wrote: "Betsy wrote: "Daniel wrote: "I don't know if you'd consider this a psychological thriller, but Jo Nesbo's The Snowman is a terrific book.

Incredibly suspenseful."

Dan..."

Daniel,You're right again, in my opinion, and your observations of Nesbo's "differences" in writing are what attract me to him; he's always fresh. Plus, he writes a darn good story. Yes, I've liked some of his books much better than others, but I do like the complex character of Harry Hole and hope that we are treated to another Hole mystery soon.

Cindy Ehrenreich I have add my vote for "Into the Darkest Corner" by Elizabeth Haynes. What an intense book!

Sarah Love this thread. Thanks.

Tanya This type of genre is my favourite. I could suggest so many but here are my top picks:

The Weight of Silence (Heather Gudenkauf)
The Killer Next Door (Alex Marwood)
You (Caroline Kepnes)
Mother Mother (Koren Zailckas)
The Good Girl (Mary Kubica)
The Book of You (Claire Kendal)

Hope this helps!

Laura Laureen wrote: "Like Joodith, I would recommend "Into the Darkest Corner" by Elizabeth Haynes. It is my favorite so far. More disturbing because it could be real!"

Such a great book!!!

Laura Cindy wrote: "I have add my vote for "Into the Darkest Corner" by Elizabeth Haynes. What an intense book!"

so much better than Gone Girl!

Janis Loved Into the Darkest Corner, but not crazy about her other books.

Betsy Hetzel Tanya wrote: "This type of genre is my favourite. I could suggest so many but here are my top picks:

You (Caroline Kepnes)
Mother M..."

Tanya wrote: "This type of genre is my favourite. I could suggest so many but here are my top picks:

You (Caroline Kepnes)
Mother M..."

I just read YOU and did not like it; he, the stalker, was just TOO creepy and killing those people he felt that he needed to get rid of because of their attachment to her was a bit much.
But I agree 100% with you about THE GOOD GIRL. I loved the relationship that developed between kidnapper and victim; I do believe that they truly grew to love one another. Was sad at the end.

Arathi Chitrapura Good Girl was a typical Kidnap story? wasnt it more like wife setting up the husband?

Betsy Hetzel Arathi wrote: "Good Girl was a typical Kidnap story? wasnt it more like wife setting up the husband?"

Arathi wrote: "Good Girl was a typical Kidnap story? wasnt it more like wife setting up the husband?"

I believe, Arathi, that you are thinking of GONE GIRL, NOT THE GOOD GIRL.... the titles are confusing.

Arathi Chitrapura My bad! I was thinking of Gone Girl Indeed!
I havent even checked out the details of Good Girl - sorry about that!

sublimosa er, well, suddenly now that I know the plot twist I don't feel the need to read it

Carrie A Maiden's Grave - Jeffery Deaver - I re-read this book. I love it. Didn't see the ending coming.....

Arathi Chitrapura sublimosa wrote: "er, well, suddenly now that I know the plot twist I don't feel the need to read it"

:) even i felt the same and went back and checked if i own the Good Girl, i have a paid version.... :)

message 38: by Judith (last edited Nov 20, 2014 12:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judith One I enjoyed many years ago is Harvest Home by Thomas Tryon. I think it might be out of print now but second hand copies are available through Amazon, and I think there's a Kindle version.

Betsy Hetzel Joodith wrote: "One I enjoyed many years ago is Harvest Home by Thomas Tryon. I think it might be out of print now but second hand copies are available through Amazon, and I think there's a Kindle version."

SO agree with you, Joodith, re. Thomas Tryon. Loved HARVEST HOME and a different kind of book that he wrote LADY. Haven't thought of him in a long while = thanks for the reminder.

Judith Hi Betsy....aah - Lady - one of my most treasured books. My mum gave me her copy to read more than 30 years ago. I now have my own tattered copy and read it every few years, always seeing something different in it. Have you read The Other? Another great story. The only Tryon I haven't read is Crowned Heads, possibly because the subject matter didn't appeal. Do try The Other if you haven't already.

message 41: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa ALYS ALWAYS! Immense, intense and unforgettable. If you love GG, it's a great follow up read.

Alys, Always

Judith Lisa wrote: "ALYS ALWAYS! Immense, intense and unforgettable. If you love GG, it's a great follow up read.

Alys, Always"

Have you tried Harriet Lanes's second book "Her"? - I think it's better tha "Alys Always.

message 43: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa I've tried but it didn't grab me in quite the same way. Still on the TBR tho.

David Schwinghammer THE RED DRAGON by Thomas Harris. It introduced Hannibal Lector as a minor character, also FBI profiling. I'd classify it as a psychological thriller because it really gets inside the head of the serial killer. In my mind, it's better than SILENCE OF THE LAMBS.

Betsy Hetzel David wrote: "THE RED DRAGON by Thomas Harris. It introduced Hannibal Lector as a minor character, also FBI profiling. I'd classify it as a psychological thriller because it really gets inside the head of the se..."

David wrote: "THE RED DRAGON by Thomas Harris. It introduced Hannibal Lector as a minor character, also FBI profiling. I'd classify it as a psychological thriller because it really gets inside the head of the se..."
David, THE RED DRAGON was my first introduction , many moons ago, to psych. thrillers and WHAT an introduction it was ! Harris hooked me w/ his mesmerizing character , and I've been "hooked" ever since. Again, thank you for reminding me how I got "here". :)

David Schwinghammer I was more impressed by how Harris got inside the head of the serial killer. We learned why he was the way he was. That doesn't usually happen with serial killer novels, except for maybe Sandford, when we know who the killer is, and we actually get his/her point of view.
I wouldn't call John Sanford's books psychological thrillers, though.

Manpreet Kaur Dark Places and Gone Girl are on the top, without any doubt. And there is Angels & Demons- Loved it!

You can check out my review of it here- http://novelacious.wordpress.com/2014...

message 48: by Peter (new) - added it

Peter Prasad With Gut-Check Green Prasad wrote a novel that is intelligent, thought-provoking, fast moving, suspenseful and very entertaining. The story flows, is well structured and easy to read. There are patches of dark humor, the book is brilliantly written and the story kept me guessing to the end. Jake is the kind of protagonist you want to find in a good thriller. Pencil, one of the bad guys, establishes himself right from the beginning as a bad guy, when he kills a… Sorry, can’t give away too much. I hope Peter Prasad enjoyed a few glasses of Sonoma wine after he had completed this novel. He deserved it. I highly recommend Gut-Check Green, a climate fiction thriller. -- Fred Schafer, author, Don't Mention the FBI
http://www.amazon.com/Gut-Check-Green...

Gut-Check Green (Sonoma Knight #3) A climate fiction thriller by Peter Prasad

Joyce Dean Koontz The Husband

Betsy Hetzel Joyce wrote: "Dean Koontz The Husband"

Joyce, One of my favorite Koontz books; you will really like it !!

« previous 1 3