Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diana S (new)

Diana S | 2012 comments Mod
This month's Group Read is :

Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver

message 2: by Diana S (new)

Here's the spot to express your thoughts about our group read book for this month.

**(Remember, while & after reading the book, share your thoughts on how you liked the book and you can claim a bonus point.)

message 3: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 808 comments I actually read this book in October because of another challenge. Here is my review from then:

Dellarobia Turnbow is on her way to a tryst when she comes upon an unbelievable sight, the forest looks like it is on fire but it is not burning. Without her glasses the flames seem to jump from tree to tree but there is no roar of fire, just an unnatural glowing. It seems a miracle and jolts her back to her senses. She realizes she is not solving her problems by running away and turns around and heads back down the mountain. Later when her father-in-law determines to sell the trees in that hollow to a company to clear cut, she makes the family go up the mountain to see what they are tearing down. Her 'fire' turns out to be millions of butterflies, orange and black Monarchs. When the world learns of the phenomenon people start coming to view the sight, including a renowned scientist with his students, those looking for a miracle and tourists. Appalachia is suddenly in the news as is her family. Dellarobia begins working with the scientists, against her family's wishes and begins to see a whole new world and the way the climate is changing and the terrifying results. She sees the roots of her dissatisfaction with her life and with her changing world. Along the way she sees the members of her family in a new light and learns some hidden secrets. I always enjoy Kingsolver's writing, her insights into people and her ideas. This did get a little lecturey at times, but was a good story.

message 4: by Diana S (new)

Don't forget to give yourself one point. I liked your review.