Play Book Tag discussion

The Heretic Queen
This topic is about The Heretic Queen
Archive: Other Books > The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran - 4.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teodora (last edited Oct 06, 2019 11:37AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teodora Paslaru | 134 comments I struggled how to rate this book. In the end I opted for 4.5* rounded at 5 because a book that keeps me as entertained as it did deserved it, even if there were some issues.

I must confess, after the first few pages I wanted to put this book down and never pick it up again. I'm glad I didn't. I suppose it happened because at first I was under the impression this book is solely a romance, and the romance aspect of this book was the worst part of it. Nothing seemed natural, the chemistry between characters was weak, and at the beginning, it seemed to be like nothing more than a fight between two girls for whom would capture the heart of the prince. The fact that the main character was not yet fourteen didn't help to warm me up to this book. Nor the fact that Nefertari was painted as smart while Iset, her rival as extremely ignorant.

Luckily, it was not about that. It was about a girl's fight for her place in history. And as soon as she left for the temple of Hathor to begin her learning, things started to get interesting. In the end, it proved to be a book full of court politics and intrigue, where all characters had their own secret agenda and their own hidden desires. Even if at the beginning I didn't care about Nefertari and her love, I began invested in her struggles as the book progressed. She was no longer a princess with a love that didn't even made much sense, but a girl fighting to clean her family name, wrongfully accused, someone looking for her rightfully place in the pyramid of things.

But more important than what this book was about is the fact that it managed to keep me engaged, to have me turning page after page, to make me return to it in every free moment I could find. I doesn't matter that there are still things I don't agree with (a reader doesn't have to agree to everything a writer proposes to like their book), not when those things are not the major plot points of this book. And speaking of those, there were many unexpected turns.

I don't know how this book would be received by fans of Egypt's history, by those who know the facts very well, because I'm not one of them. But for me, who knew almost nothing about that era, it seemed like a good beginning to learn something. And accurate or not, the author managed to create an exciting mix.

message 2: by Joanne (last edited Oct 06, 2019 12:47PM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 6675 comments I have a bunch of her books on my TBR, due to Amy raving about her-just have not gotten around to reading any of them-I need to do that! Nice review.

message 3: by LibraryCin (last edited Oct 06, 2019 02:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

LibraryCin | 7666 comments I think this was also 4.5 stars for me. I have only rated on of her books lower than 4 stars. She's one of those authors where I'd like to read everything she's written.

ETA: My mistake. 4 stars. Still really liked it!

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 7880 comments Love Michele Moran! Glad you stuck with it!