What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Childrens - Little girl has a brother with a disabled leg/disability

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ash (new)

Ash (ashleyli) | 7 comments When I was little under 13 there was a book that I was always checking out of the library. All I remember now (40 yrs later) is that it was about a little girl and she had a brother who was disable (bum leg I think) and his name was something like Wilheim. It was in English though. I don't remember the plot of the book but I think she was ashamed of her brother when they would hang around with their friends. That is all I remember and I hope someone can help me find this book and title. Thank you in advance

message 2: by Teri-K (new)

Teri-K | 301 comments Do you remember if it was historical or contemporary? (Medieval, perhaps?) Also, what country do you think it was set in?

message 3: by HeavyReader (new)

HeavyReader | 450 comments It might be helpful to add a plot summary to the title of this thread. Some folks don't even read a thread unless the title catches their attention.

message 4: by Ash (new)

Ash (ashleyli) | 7 comments Hi it was an actual children's book and I am not sure if it was an English translation of a foreign book or not. I also believe it was an award winning book. Thanks for the reply.

Teri-k wrote: "Do you remember if it was historical or contemporary? (Medieval, perhaps?) Also, what country do you think it was set in?"

message 5: by Ash (new)

Ash (ashleyli) | 7 comments I don't really have a plot summary unfortunately but I will add what I do know. Thank you for the reply.

HeavyReader wrote: "It might be helpful to add a plot summary to the title of this thread. Some folks don't even read a thread unless the title catches their attention."

message 6: by Cynthia (last edited Oct 31, 2014 11:56AM) (new)

Cynthia | 186 comments "Childrens - Little girl has a brother with a disabled leg/disability" Would work for your title. It doesn't have to be that detailed, just enough to catch the eye of some of the members.

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Perhaps one of Jean Little/s books? Listen for the Singing comes to mind.

message 8: by Teri-K (new)

Teri-K | 301 comments Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant, did the story have a contemporary setting or was it set in an historical or fantasy time? And, do you remember if it was set in England or the US or some other specific place?

message 9: by Ash (new)

Ash (ashleyli) | 7 comments I looked her books up and none of her books are the one I am referring to. The main character which is little girl is not disabled or limited it was actually her brother. Thank you though so much for reaching out and helping.
Kate wrote: "Perhaps one of Jean Little/s books? Listen for the Singing comes to mind."

message 10: by Ash (new)

Ash (ashleyli) | 7 comments Thank you, I am going to use your suggestion
Cynthia wrote: ""Childrens - Little girl has a brother with a disabled leg/disability" Would work for your title. It doesn't have to be that detailed, just enough to catch the eye of some of the members."

message 11: by Ash (new)

Ash (ashleyli) | 7 comments Hi Teri, it was most definitely a modern contemporary setting and I believe it was set here in the US but I could be wrong. It may have had an every city setting

Teri-k wrote: "Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant, did the story have a contemporary setting or was it set in an historical or fantasy time? And, do you remember if it was set in England or the US or some other speci..."

message 12: by Ash (new)

Ash (ashleyli) | 7 comments As I think more about this, I believe the brother wore leg braces

message 13: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 186 comments Do you think he may have had polio or something less serious?

message 14: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 186 comments http://www.christopherreeve.org/atf/c... Here's a list that may be helpful.

message 15: by Arielle (new)

Arielle Masters | 252 comments Bumping - sounds interesting. Given your age when you read it, Ash, I'm guessing it was a chapter book, but do you remember if it had pictures?

message 16: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37806 comments Mod
Ash, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Listen for the Singing (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jean Little (other topics)