The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games discussion

Top 5 dystopian books...

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nadine (last edited Oct 30, 2014 07:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nadine Brandes Okay, what are your top 5 favorite dystopian books?

I'm looking to expand my dystopian reading list (since I write dystopian) so all suggestions are welcome! What would you recommend?

A dystopian "series" can count as one.

Here are some of my favs:

The Hunger Games Series, by Suzanne Collins
Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles), by Marissa Meyer
Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline
Captives (Safelands Trilogy) by Jill Williamson
Divergent Series, by Veronica Roth

Sophie These are my favorites
The Selection series by Kiera Cass
Delirium trilogy by Lauren Oliver
Legend trilogy by Marie Lu
Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth
Slated trilogy
Okay, there are a lot of dystopian books I really enjoyed, and many of them I can't decide which I like better. The Selection, though is one of my two all-time favorites. Please keep in mind that there are a lot of dystopian books that may be better than these that I have not yet read, so there are probably quite a few better than these. Hope you enjoy them!
Sophie

message 3: by Kierra (last edited Oct 30, 2014 08:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kierra Boykin Mine are:
1)The Unwind Series by Neal Shusterman
2)Delirium trilogy by Lauren Oliver
3)The Giver by Lois Lowry
4)The Forest of Hands and Teeth trilogy by Carrie Ryan (this is my favorite zombie book I've ever read. It actually focuses more on the characters than the fact that there are zombies (but of course the zombie scenes are still scary and intense))
5)I Am Number Four series by Pittacus Lore

All of these are freaking amazing and my favorites by far! I hope you enjoy if you decide to read any of these :)

Robin Riddle I have only read a few so here they are in no particular order.

Hunger Games By Suzanne Collins
Red Rising By Pierce Brown
Dune By Frank Herbert

Also V for Vendetta was a really good movie and I hear the graphic novel is really good as well.

SarahO I like Dystopian but I really only a few favorite series.
1. The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins
2. The Dust Land trilogy by Moira Young
3. The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer

These three are so amazing most others don't even come close for me.

Nadine Brandes These are all fantastic!!! I think I'll go on a reading spree next month. :D Thank you everyone!

SarahO wrote: "I like Dystopian but I really only a few favorite series.
1. The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins
2. The Dust Land trilogy by Moira Young..."

Sarah -- I've never heard of the Dust Land trilogy, but that sounds particularly interesting.

Nikita I'm sorry but I've only read three dystopian series so far. So here is my top three.

1. Penryn & the End of Days by Susan Ee
2. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
3. The Selection by Kiera Cass

Deanna The hunger games
the giver
Divergent

message 11: by AgCl (last edited Nov 07, 2014 09:48PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

AgCl 1. Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman Unwind Dystology by Neal Shusterman ('nuff said)

2. The Giver (The Giver, #1) by Lois Lowry The Giver by Lois Lowry (although some would argue that its utopian (with an ! point))
3. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (its got lots of "adult" themes but if you want hardcore dystopia and not just the watered down, garden variety YA versions look no further)
4. The Enemy (The Enemy, #1) by Charlie Higson The Enemy series by Charlie Higson (okay its a pseudo-zombie story but whats more dystopian than a world overrun by murderous, flesh-eating pus bags? and it also works if you're an Anglophile)
5. Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu Legend series by Marie Lu
(a bit too mushy IMY, but if you're into the whole romancy stuff then yay for you)

Aj the Ravenous Reader 1. The Legend Series by Marie Lu; The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
2. The Fifth Wave Series by Rick Yancey; Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
3. The Testing Series by Joelle Charbonneau, The Selection Series by Kiera Cass
4. Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi; Shatter Me Series by Tahereh Mafi
5. Divergent(Book 1) by Veronica Roth, Delirium Series by Lauren Oliver

message 13: by Cassandra (last edited Nov 29, 2014 01:59AM) (new) - added it

Cassandra 1.The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (My favourite book!)
2.Delirium by Lauren Oliver
3.The Selection by Kiera Kass
4.Divergent by Veronica Roth
5.The Maze Runner by James Dashner (And the movie based on the book was amazing!)

message 14: by Cassandra (last edited Nov 29, 2014 01:59AM) (new) - added it

Cassandra (And the Chemical Garden by Lauren DeStefano was good, too...)

Dacey My top two!!
1.) The 100 is good. I love the show and am reading the books.
2.) The Matched series are good if you like love stories!

message 16: by Dacey (last edited Nov 25, 2014 08:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dacey I do have to agree with some one up top, The Selection is great too! As well as The Hunger Games series!

message 17: by S (new) - rated it 5 stars

S 1. The Hunger Games
2. Divergent
3. Shatter Me
4. Poison Study
5. The Supernaturalist

message 18: by S (new) - rated it 5 stars

S And The Giver's amazing as well

Somerandom I haven't read a whole lot of Dystopian, personally I'm a fantasy girl. I read Divergent and Hunger Games. Liked them. But I'm going to start Penryn and the End of Days and the Cinder Chronicle asap and I'm hella pumped.
My all time favorite dystopian is 1984, though. Yeah it may be an oldie and the characters are not intricate, but it's so......haunting. I love it.

Gemma Scott I enjoyed 1984 and The Handmaid's Tale, I haven't read Brave New World or Farenheit 451 but I hear they're supposed to be good.

Veronica under the never sky- veronica rossi
pledge- kimberley derting
hunger games-suzanne collins
legend- marie lu
cinder- marissa meyer

message 22: by Cassandra (last edited Nov 29, 2014 02:02AM) (new) - added it

Cassandra And another incredible series is The Immortal series by Alyson Noel! Just perfect. :)

■©atherine■ Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee
Angelfall. My fav dystopian and angel book. No love triangle. and no drama from the heroine, Penryn. she is so badass.

The 5th Wave (The Fifth Wave, #1) by Rick Yancey
The 5th Wave. Alien Invasion. I don't know about the heroes of this book but you will definitely love Cassie.

All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill
All Our Yesterday. Time travel. this is standalone. it has action, romance, friendship. it's really one of a kind.

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins
The Hunger Games. of course.

these are my 5 stars dystopian books. hope you like them.

message 24: by Aurora (last edited May 26, 2016 10:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aurora Not sure if these all classify as dystopian but...
Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Legend by Marie Lu
The Selection by Keira Cass
False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielson
Throne of Glass (sorry I can't remember the author!)

Also not dystopian but Harry Potter- J.K. Rowling and Percy Jackson and the Olympians- Rick Riordan are amazing!!!!!

Kaitlyn If you want Maximum Dystopia you can't miss The Road. Everything else on this list so far has HOPE.

Bisma Haris Here are the big five:
-The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
-The Delirium Trilogy by Lauren Oliver
-The Selection by Kierra Cass
-Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
-Legend Series by Marie Li
I also read Divergent, and it was nice but not very satisfying and enjoyable, so I kinda don't suggest it. There are others too, dystopians I could name. Enjoy.

Bisma Haris And all-time favorites too. XD
-Harry Potter
-The Hunger Games
-The Shadowhunter Chronicles
-The Selection
-Throne of Glass
And another book I forgot to mention is Red Queen Series by Victoria Aveyard. Trust me. You will NOT be disappointed. In any of these. I've got others as well hahaha. XD

Susie Barnes Nadine wrote: "Okay, what are your top 5 favorite dystopian books?

I'm looking to expand my dystopian reading list (since I write dystopian) so all suggestions are welcome! What would you recommend?

A dystopia..."

Sorry for the outrage but NONE OF YOU NAMED THESE 2??????
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and 1984 by George Orwell. There are no happy endings in these, 1984 especially.

Susie Barnes And Animal Farm? It may not be future, it may not be human, but it is sure dystopian.

Aurora Orwellian dystopia becomes a lot less interesting/ pleasurable when forced to read it for school so....... At least, that's my opinion

message 31: by Susie (last edited May 26, 2016 02:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susie Barnes I read it for school and then re-read it about 15 years ago. It was awesome both times.

Besides, without 1984, we wouldn't have the amazing "1984" Apple commercial.

Terry I would echo these favourites:
Red Rising series
Angelfall series
Hunger Games series

And add:
The Chrysalids by John Wyndham
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card