Sanderson Cosmere discussion

Warbreaker (Warbreaker, #1)
This topic is about Warbreaker
Discussions > (DISCUSSION) Warbreaker

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Faye, la Patata (fayemat) | 68 comments Mod
Alrighty guys, time to start discussing!!!

I hope you've all read the book by now and are reeling and exploding with feels because #Sanderson just happened.

This discussion will cover Part 2 and Part 3. I'll start with these questions and add some along the way. You may add your own if you wish, just remember to bold them so people will see ^_^

QUESTIONS:

How did you feel about Tonk Fah and Denth's rather crude bantering? Did it trigger the red alerts in your brain? Did you think it was suspicious? What did you feel about their betrayal? Were you expecting it? Did you feel sorry for Vivenna for playing into their hands, or did you (mentally) curse her for being super naive THAT IT HAD TO AFFECT PARLIN THAT WAY (goddamnit)?

Before you got to know of Susebron's handicap, what were your impressions of him (when Siri was revealed in the Court of Gods, when he didn't make a move when Siri went naked, etc.)? What did you feel when Siri found out he had no tongue? Did your opinion of him changed as the book progressed?

Now see yourself as a priest of high strature, and you have a liege with unimaginable powers that could do unimaginable things, both good and bad. If you were Treledees, would you prefer to control it at his expense? Would you rather not risk anything and prefer to not use it at all?

Now see yourself as a Returned or someone with high influence. War is the talk of the town, and there's a high possibility it may happen. What would you do? Would you prepare for it just in case it may happen (as Blushweaver did) or try to do everything to ensure that it won't (as Vasher did)?

Blushweaver. Do you think she's justified in her paranoia?

These are all for now! I'll add more later ^_^

Valerie (vlangloisx3) I haven't even been able to read to chapter 36 yet because of life, BUT I'M STILL COMMENTING ANYWAYS BECAUSE I LOVE THIS IDEA OF A FORUM.

People start posting here or else

BUT YEAH. Um I thought Susebron was weird, UNTIL I FOUND OUT HE WAS AN ABSOLUTE CUTIE PIE :D :D Seriously though, the only chapters I look forward to in the book is Siri's POV

message 3: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Lindberg | 11 comments Just so I know, we're supposed to read up through which chapters for this post?

Till the end, Mark! by October 31st we should've finished teh book by now ^^

Valerie wrote: "I haven't even been able to read to chapter 36 yet because of life, BUT I'M STILL COMMENTING ANYWAYS BECAUSE I LOVE THIS IDEA OF A FORUM.

People start posting here or else

BUT YEAH. Um I thought ..."

I know, Suseborn is actually really adorably. Hard to believe he's 50+ years old, but is mentally, physically, and psychologically younger than that. Haha.

Valerie (vlangloisx3) WOW OCTOBER 31st OOPS. Well then. That will be done soon. I'm still going to post in this anyways hahahha

Okay, I'll wait for you guys to finish :P COME BACK HERE OKAY

(I just finished the book ten minutes ago haha)

message 8: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Lindberg | 11 comments Ah, gotcha. I'll finish ASAP, then be back with thoughts.

Valerie (vlangloisx3) HOID!

“Thank you,” Siri said quietly. “It was good of you to speak of it. Tell me, where did you learn such an . . . unusual method of storytelling?”

Hoid looked up, smiling. “I learned it many, many years ago from a man who didn’t know who he was, Your Majesty. It was a distant place where two lands meet and gods have died. But that is unimportant.”

DO YOU THINK THIS IS CONNECTED TO THE OTHER BOOKS SOMEHOW? Or just, um, specific to Warbreaker?

Valerie wrote: "HOID!

“Thank you,” Siri said quietly. “It was good of you to speak of it. Tell me, where did you learn such an . . . unusual method of storytelling?”

Hoid looked up, smiling. “I learned it many, ..."

I melted when I saw Hoid~

I do feel that this is related to other books... although I think we'll have to wait until Mistborn to find out.

message 11: by Matt (last edited Nov 01, 2014 07:23AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt (wagnmw) | 19 comments Hoid is more transparent in this novel which is nice and we get to know a bit of his backstory which is awesome.

While not a question, How much taller do you think the Returned are than normal people? I remember hearing Siri not reaching the top of Lightsong's booth.

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

message 13: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Lindberg | 11 comments Yeah, I finished it.

Sanderson really knows how to pack an ending. BAM.

I was totally fooled by Tonk Fah/Denth the first time. I mean, yeah, they were a little creepy, but they seemed nice enough. I totally didn't catch Tonk Fah's pets changing...

Betrayal... OWW. I always hate betrayal, especially by characters you thought were good. Sanderson is a master at this, and, uh... I'll say more when we finish another Sanderson book we haven't started yet.

Yeah, poor Vivenna. Her whole plan was a mess, going to Hallandren, at all, the way she did it... Yeah. It was the act of a petulant child who has been told she can't do what she expects to do. I almost think that by this point in her life, she was wanting to go to the God King, that it was her life... And she wanted that back when it was taken away. But I still felt sorry for her. The chapter where she was sick, in the streets, was nasty.

Initial impressions on my first read-through followed Siri's fairly closely. I thought the God King was exerting his power over her, up until the point where he is frightened when Siri approaches. I was also fairly confident, though, that Sanderson wouldn't turn his book into a rape book, so I was expecting for there to be *some* way out for Siri. His tongue? It was an interesting surprise, but like most Sanderson, it makes sense in retrospect. And my opinion totally changed as the book progressed, and I quite like him by the end.

Also, Siris and the God King. Siri and the God King. Anyone else notice how close these are?

I do have to wonder what they were actually ever expecting to need the breath for, if they couldn't actually use it. I was confused. I'd have expected them to be more showy about it, to impress the people by doing things around the city with it, even temporary things. And to have the king able to use it, should the need ever arise to defend himself and/or Hallandren.

In a Hallandren returned's perspective... I'd probably do whatever my priests advised, given how cooped up and utterly cut off they are. Given most of the priests, that seems to be that I would vote for war. I would probably never be trusted with lifeless commands, though, so I'd probably be a god whose name is mentioned once on page 439 and then never again.

Blushweaver! Her death hit me the hardest in this book. So abrupt, so unexpected. Oww. And, yes, she is utterly justified. So many factions of people working for so many things here. It's crazy, but she was totally justified.

Hoid's origin story is told, I *think*, in Dragonsteel. You kind of can't really get a copy. It's the book Sanderson wrote as his thesis when he was in college, and the only copy I've ever seen (in pictures) is part of the BYU library system, and practically unobtainable. We will get a version of it, some day, though, when he writes it out as a full series. He's also written The Liar of Partinel, featuring the man who would become the Hoid we know and love. But he didn't feel the perspective (first person) worked quite right, and shelved it, pending a rewrite.

Wow, I wrote a LOT more than I expected. Sorry guys.

Paula M (thepaperreels) | 3 comments Will answer these firsts..

How did you feel about Tonk Fah and Denth's rather crude bantering? Did it trigger the red alerts in your brain? Did you think it was suspicious? What did you feel about their betrayal? Were you expecting it? Did you feel sorry for Vivenna for playing into their hands, or did you (mentally) curse her for being super naive THAT IT HAD TO AFFECT PARLIN THAT WAY (goddamnit)?

- I did not see it coming. But I know, right from the start that the two of them are hiding secrets. Especially Denth. I actually really liked this guy. Anyway, Tonk Fah is a sick sick person (poor monkey.. is that a monkey, his pet? or a bird, i forgot :P) Anyway, he is a loon! Haha. Yes, poor Vivenna. I admit that I didn't like her at first but.. I just felt so bad for her. I KNOW... PARLIN!!! 3

Before you got to know of Susebron's handicap, what were your impressions of him (when Siri was revealed in the Court of Gods, when he didn't make a move when Siri went naked, etc.)? What did you feel when Siri found out he had no tongue? Did your opinion of him changed as the book progressed?

- Oh my god I'm giggling!! Hahahahaha. Susebron is just so ADFSGHDFGYSTYGDE. What I really expected was a jerk and mean King. But when he did not touch Siri.. I KNOW THERE'S SOMETHING. I even had a thought that there was really no King!! :P Oh yeah, my feeling were totally changed. Susebron, imo, is the most sad character here. He's so ignorant, no parents, and to be trapped THAT LONG!!!! Anyway, SIRI <3 SUSEBRON FOREVS.

Paula M (thepaperreels) | 3 comments Faye, la Patata wrote: "Valerie wrote: "HOID!

Hoid looked up, smiling. “I l..."

Is HOID connected to every book? We saw a glimpse of him at WoK too, right? Or I'm just imagining that. I can't wait for his own story. We're going to read that too, right? RIGHT? =))

Yaaay, mark! Just so you know, I LOOOOVED READING YOUR INSIGHTS. DISCUSSIONS ARE THE BEST, HECK YES.

I know what you mean about Tonk Fah/Denth! I actually found their banter so endearing and that made me like them in the first place. That only goes to show my bad judgement of character... haha. I was crushed when I found out they were actually the bad guys... they fooled Vivenna, and they totally fooled me as well! Like you, their "casual" bantering was disturbing but I thought it was just a harmless quirk, you know?!

I still find it unbelievable they did that to Parlin, too :( Parlin was such a good guy. He even liked Jewels, too. He deserved so much better than the end he got 3

I remember hating Vivenna the first time I read this. I felt that she was so self-righteous and it was hard to see that it was simply a flaw of hers that made character development possible along the way... that's how much she affected me. Haha. The second time around was a far better experience, knowing what would happen. Her development was astounding from an uptight person who carefully followed her ideals to someone who finally let go and accepted what was around her.

Re: Siri and God King and how close they are... I don't think I get what you mean O_O

They probably just wanted enough breath to reach the 5th heightening - immortality. For centuries, people have been trying to find how to achieve this so I wouldn't be surprised if people will shell out a lot of money to achieve that much in Breath.

Haha, you're so funny, Mark. I probably wouldn't be given lifeless to command, too. I'm too reckless and impulsive (probably why they never gave it to Blushweaver in the first place?). They all gave the lifeless to very... passive people (why give it to someone like Mercystar?!). I mean, Treledees wanted to protect the breaths Susebron had... never even wanting to use it for bad things... I'm pretty certain (at least I feel it) that he wouldn't want the Returned gods to be reckless with their lifeless also and march them to devastation and ruin.

I know! Blushweaver's death was unexpected. I remember being surprised when I first read it. I never really sympathized with her, but I do kind of get where she was coming from, too.

Anybody else thought that the ending was suuuuper rushed?!?! We never even got to know what happened next :(

Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts! wrote: "Will answer these firsts..

How did you feel about Tonk Fah and Denth's rather crude bantering? Did it trigger the red alerts in your brain? Did you think it was suspicious? What did you feel about..."

Yeah, they were really suspicious in a way they're really not letting on what they completely knew... but still, omfg, I wish they weren't the bad guys :( I loved their quirky ways. But alas... >.> If they were good, Vivenna wouldn't have grown up and realized her naivety.

Susebron and Siri really were adorable. Their kiss/sex-ish scene was just so melting... I wish I could visualize what he looked like. I know he towered over Siri... A LOT.

And yeah, Hoid is everywhere... I think. He was in Way of Kings as the Imperial Fool, and I think we'll see him in Mistborn.

Valerie (vlangloisx3) I FINISHEDDDDD

OMG FAYE I AM SO MAD I WANTED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO EVERYONE LIKE MARRIAGE? VIVENNA AND VASHER?? LIKE COME ON!

And also man Lightsong's death absolutely KILLED ME because he was just so awesome. AND THEN LLAMAR REVEALS HIS PREVIOUS LIFE.

Though I am kind of confused on how the God King knew about Vasher/everyone that he actually is (I wish we could find out more about him), when he's been kept in the dark. Did Lightsong heal EVERYTHING about him, like memories and stuff?

BUT YEAH. WOW.

Um. ok. about the middle-ish of the book. I hated how Denth and Tonk Fah betrayed Vivenna that sucked. And I did not see that coming. AND SIRI AND SUSEBRON ARE ADORABLE. I'm glad everything turned out fine-ish in the end. Except for Lightsong and Blushweaver. That was just brutal.

Oh man. But that was just epic. I just. argh

Valerie (vlangloisx3) You know, I feel like Lightsong reminds me of Kaladin in WoK and also what's-his-face in Elantris (wow my memory is so bad). Throughout the whole book, he kept saying how "useless" he is and that he isn't even a god.

But then he sacrificed himself. And wow just wow

Valerie wrote: "I FINISHEDDDDD

OMG FAYE I AM SO MAD I WANTED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO EVERYONE LIKE MARRIAGE? VIVENNA AND VASHER?? LIKE COME ON!

And also man Lightsong's death absolutely KILLED ME because he was..."

I AM FLAILING WITH YOU MY LOVE. LIKE OUT-OF-THE-WORLD FLAILING. KYAAAAA!

I also want to know what happened next after the God King sent his other status-lifeless. The ending was underwhelming for me because it felt like it was cut short but the rest of the book was awesomesauce with a big A.

HAHAHA, Kaladin is such an angsty guy! Okay, Lightsong can be angsty sometimes too but his facade is just so jolly and cynical and humorous haha. It makes me giggle to imagine Kaladin being the same way =))

That sacrifice was just so noble and touching. Most memorable part for me.

Paula M (thepaperreels) | 3 comments Faye, la Patata wrote: "Valerie wrote: "I FINISHEDDDDD

And also man Lightsong's death absolutely KILLED M..."

My FEELING ARE ALL OVER YOUR POSTS. LET'S NOT TALK ABOUT LIGHTSONG THE DOUCHEBAG THAT IS SO ADORBS.. IT'S TOO FRESH.

Hahahaha!

I know, I thought the ending was like, cut off or something. Is there a sequel? Or a novella?

There will be a sequel called Nightblood :D We'll have to wait a while though >.<

message 23: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Lindberg | 11 comments Oh, Siris and the God king, Siri and the God King... Sanderson wrote tie-in fiction for the Infinity Blade world, and the main characters there are a dude name Siris, and an immortal God King.

Hoid is in every full length Cosmere novel, plus sorta in Emperor's Soul. He's hard to spot in Alloy of Law, because he's not named, but he's there.

Yes. NIGHTBLOOD. I want Nightblood. (The book, not the sword.)

And yes... Sanderson has admitted that he has issues with what he calls the Sanderson Avalanche in his earlier books, where he pushed everything back to the very end and made it super tight for such a short time. It does make this one feel... unfinished? He's gotten a lot better. The endings of WoK and WoR are just... They blow anything else I've ever read away.

message 24: by Valerie (last edited Nov 05, 2014 09:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Valerie (vlangloisx3) Mark wrote: "Yes. NIGHTBLOOD. I want Nightblood. (The book, not the sword.)"

Pshhh I want both

Also, can we talk about Vasher for a second, and how he's a Returned? Because I'm now very confused at how Breaths work. He's been surviving because he just keeps adding breaths? Also, the way Vivenna got her breath back, through her cloak, you can do that? So then couldn't people just hide their breath on their clothing or whatever?

Yeah, Valerie, that's what Tonk Fah actually did and what Vasher does occasionally... when you're a Drab, people don't take notice of you. That's why Vivenna didn't notice Tonk Fah sometimes, because he puts his breath somewhere else. I think Vasher puts it in his cloak too.. and Vivenna put it in her shawl when she was on her own so people wouldn't take notice of her.

message 26: by Nara (last edited Nov 20, 2014 06:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nara (greengp01) OKAY FINALLY FINISHED IM SORRY IM SO LATE.
Just finished exams on the 18th, and I wanted to not have the thought of exams looming over me while reading a Sanderson- he deserves my full attention :D

SUSEBRON OMG SUCH A FANTASTIC CHARACTER. When he tells Siri that he was actually as scared of her as she was him that first night naww so adorable.

tbh, I thought the banter was just banter. Totally didn't expect the betrayal, but at the same time, I didn't feel like Vasher was a villain, so not sure what I thought about either party lol. Just didn't think about who the good guys vs the villains were, I suppose.

VIVENNA WAS SO DAMN ANNOYING FOR THE FIRST HALF OF THE BOOK. Ugh seriously, so judgemental. And I was really worried that she wouldn't talk to Siri first, and just go ahead and kill Susebron while trying to rescue Siri, but thankfully that didn't happen.

LAWKEJHFLADFAOWE WHERE IS THE SEQUEL ME WANTS IT. The ending was so open! WHAT HAPPENS NEXT I MUST KNOW

YAAAY BETTER LATE THAN NEVER AS THEY SAY!!!

Susebron is totally a cutie-patootie. He reminded me of a really innocent and naive kid haha, which makes me so much more interesting. Although it does boggle the mind how he's 50 years old, but is really younger than that psychologically and mentally O.O but he's quite original so far in my eyes and that's always a good thing.

You have a point. I did feel conflicted about that at first... Vasher didn't really seem antagonistic at all, so I simply thought it was just a simple misunderstanding or something, but nooooo... it had to be a betrayal (damnit).

I understand why you're annoyed. In my first readthrough, I was annoyed as heck, too :P She just seemed REAAAALLY judgemental and I hated her for it. HAHA.

Isaac | 2 comments I cant help but be irked at the age difference, isn't Siri 18 or something, I know he's physically in his prime, but at first before I met Susebron I was creeped out by the age difference, and I cant get rid of the feeling.

Does anyone care that lightsongs friend died, the other returned, umm... BLUSHWEAVER was anyone surprised when she was revealed to be part of the plot, but then DIED for it!