Authors & Reviewers discussion

121 views
Learning Center > Is Your Book Blurb Giving Away Your Story?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 23 comments I've written this article to help authors examine their book blurbs to ensure that little piece of description doesn't tell readers too much about your book.


http://www.kathysnotes.com/blog/is-yo...


message 2: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 11 comments Great article, Kathy! I never considered that lack of surprise would keep readers from getting into a book, and it makes a lot of sense. I posted the article on my Twitter feed. Thanks for sharing your insights!


message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 23 comments Tracy wrote: "Great article, Kathy! I never considered that lack of surprise would keep readers from getting into a book, and it makes a lot of sense. I posted the article on my Twitter feed. Thanks for sharing ..."

You're welcome, Tracy. Thanks for sharing this! There's no denying that blurbs are tricky to write, but what a lost for an author to have someone not read his/her book because the blurb was a spoiler.


message 4: by Leenna (new)

Leenna Naidoo | 4 comments Hi Kathy

Thanks for the great article and link. I always have probs with blurbs and synopses :-D


message 5: by Kathy (last edited May 09, 2015 04:03AM) (new)

Kathy Golden | 23 comments Leenna wrote: "Hi Kathy

Thanks for the great article and link. I always have probs with blurbs and synopses :-D"


You're welcome, Leenna. I'm glad it helped you. Please tweet it out or whatever to other authors.So many are still summarizes their plots before a reader even opens the book. In fact, I think I'll share it again on my own Twitter feed.


message 6: by Leenna (new)

Leenna Naidoo | 4 comments I've just shared it on Facebook :-D
I think a part of the problem is that first we summarize the full story for publishers and agents, then we forget that a reader's needs are different. It's a habit that's hard to break :-D


message 7: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 23 comments Leenna wrote: "I've just shared it on Facebook :-D
I think a part of the problem is that first we summarize the full story for publishers and agents, then we forget that a reader's needs are different. It's a hab..."


Do you get to write your own blurb? I've often wonder if traditionally published authors wrote their own. Blurbs are tricky because facts that are meant to draw readers in need to be distinct from those that give away the story.


message 8: by Leenna (new)

Leenna Naidoo | 4 comments I'm self-published, so I do it all myself:-D I think it's better if someone else writes it for you or helps edit. It's been a steep learning curve for me, and I'm still learning!
I wrote a post about my recent experiment. https://leennanaidoo.wordpress.com/20...
and discovered just how stuck I was in the authors/publishers mindset, and how far away my preferences were from my readership! A smack on the hand for me :-D


message 9: by Colin (new)

Colin Tate (AuthorColinTate) | 2 comments Nice article Kathy, I definitely revised and reduced my synopsis before my book's launch.


message 10: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Arthur | 10 comments Weird how this has been in the back of my mind regarding my books...thanks so much for this. Time to take a look...of course, I would love it if you could take a gander at my descriptions too. See what you think. Thank you again,

Virginia Arthur
Birdbrain
Phat('s) Chance for Buddha in Houston (Or How I Spent My Summer Vacation).


message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 23 comments Virginia wrote: "Weird how this has been in the back of my mind regarding my books...thanks so much for this. Time to take a look...of course, I would love it if you could take a gander at my descriptions too. See ..."


Hi, Virginia,
Glad the article was helpful. I emailed you about your blurb. Best,
Kathy


message 12: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 13, 2016 04:37AM) (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 3 comments Very good advice! With my second book, some think I give away too much and others feel like I've tried to mislead them - in a good way! ( it's a mystery)


back to top