Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Writing and Self-Promotion > NaNoWriMo 2014

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 918 comments Mod
I didn't see a thread for NaNoWriMo this year so I thought I'd start one. I assume you were all too busy outlining, researching period costumes, and such. This will be my first year doing a full novel for NaNoWriMo and I've chosen to do a Vaginal Fantasy book about ancient spirits that can inhabit the bodies of animals. I'm at http://nanowrimo.org/participants/sea...

I ran a short story workshop last year for Foil & Phaser and we will be doing Volume Two this year so It'll be a busy month for me. There is contact information on the post if anyone wants to join.

Is anyone else writing this year and what is your book about?

message 2: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (nerdyspinster) | 255 comments I'm going to try to participate this year, but I'm also in the process of moving, so I'm not sure how much time I'll have. As for my story, I'm still tossing around ideas and brainstorming, but I think it's going to have something to do with dragons...

message 3: by Alicia (new)

Alicia I haven't registered... but I'm in. It's a gothic novel in which Charlotte Bronte is a sociopath.

message 4: by Geohyde (new)

Geohyde | 22 comments After having taken last year off I am participating again this year. I haven’t joined the website since I don’t really like the pressure of having my word count and such out there but I am hopeful I’ll manage to finish my story in time. So far I am on target but I usually am this early in the month. ;)

I am writing a mystery story set in Boston in the 1920s. There won’t be any romance, though.

message 5: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Marae I'm participating but I'm sort of rebelling as well since I'm going to write my outline and count the words. I wrote them strictly in November so... -shrug-
Honestly though... the new Wow expansion is out in two weeks sooo we'll see how this goes. ;)

message 6: by Brittany (last edited Nov 03, 2014 07:30AM) (new)

Brittany (ladyboyce4511) | 1 comments I'm participating for the first time year!Only at 2473 words - but I really think I can do it. I already have the first 20,000 words of my novel (new adult, LGBT, fantasy) so basically I'm just working on all the scenes in the second half of the book. And then once November is over I get to do the fun part of putting it all together in the right order with relevant and good transitions. :) And this is me - http://nanowrimo.org/participants/lad.... Add me as a writing buddy! The more people to help encourage the better.

message 7: by Rio (new)

Rio (minxxa) I'm doing it for the first time this year, as well. I can't write every day, though due to other committments, so it will be interesting. I also seem to have no attention span, so I tend to write in 15-20 minute blocks, with an occasional 45 minute one in there at times. As of day 3 yesterday I was at a little over 7000 words, though, so we will see. I don't necessarily think it's very good at this point, but I am just keeping on writing, getting into the characters and making notes on what I need to go back and add later. Should be interesting!

message 8: by Rio (new)

Rio (minxxa) Cool! For some reason I'm not smart enough right now to figure out how to link myself, but I added both of you as writing buddies. My user name is Minxxa.

message 9: by Rio (new)

Rio (minxxa) Shannon wrote: "I did it last year for the first time and I only made it to 20,000 words. This was one of the highlights of my year last year. To all newcomers, WELCOME!

My novel is a series of four short stories..."

Sounds interesting! I figure any words I make are way ahead of what I've done (or not done)! I'm defnitely trying to remove judgment on my own story as much as possible. Sometimes I type and in my head I'm saying "First draft, first draft, first draft." ;-)

message 10: by Geohyde (new)

Geohyde | 22 comments Michelle wrote: Sounds interesting! I figure any words I make are way ahead of what I've done (or not done)! I'm defnitely trying to remove judgment on my own story as much as possible. Sometimes I type and in my head I'm saying "First draft, first draft, first draft." ;-)

Does that actually work for you? I try to tell myself that as well but usually I spend at least half an hour before I write new stuff changing things from the day before I feel don't fit anymore or that need tweaking. I just can't continue if I feel something is... wrong. On the upside, I usually need only one or two days in December before my story is finished. ;)

message 11: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Shannon wrote: "Alicia wrote: "I haven't registered... but I'm in. It's a gothic novel in which Charlotte Bronte is a sociopath."

I want to read this. Like, right now."

haha! I need to write faster!

message 12: by Rio (last edited Nov 07, 2014 01:54PM) (new)

Rio (minxxa) I will say that I usually have a pretty strong internal editor and tendencies towards OCD. That said, as I have gotten older, being that particular has just gotten--- exhausting.

I am pushing myself to not look back, but instead create notes (for example if I need to add a scene or a person previously) in Scrivener and then just move on as if I did it.

LIke Shannon said, in this case quantity is more important than quality. And it also gives me the freedom to just explore the writing and focus on the moment I am writing.

Zen writing. ;-)

message 13: by Geohyde (new)

Geohyde | 22 comments Zen writing. I like that. ^^

I think some of my problems with just letting the words flow are based on the fact that I am writing in English which isn't my native language. I think I have a much higher standard in "getting it right" than I'd have if I were writing in my own language. But I am trying! It's getting easier the further in I get and the more used I am to writing again. The words come much more readily to me, as well. Less of that whole checking for the right translation thing necessary. ;)

That said, I am still on track. Crossed the 15.000 words line today and I haven't run out of plot points, yet. ;)

message 14: by Rio (new)

Rio (minxxa) Geez! That's crazy, writing in a second language, I am impressed! :-)

I spent a few hours tonight getting my characters down-- I have a lot of them-- and what their various positions/jobs are so that I could move forward. I did still eek out 1500 words, so I just hit 9350.

Good news is I have tomorrow and sunday and ALL day tuesday (I'm off for Veteran's Day). So hoping to crank out a lot.

message 15: by Splodygirl (new)

Splodygirl | 4 comments I'm a bit late getting started so I'm going to have to work hard to catch up, but I'm really enjoying it so far. It's been way too long since I let myself be creative. Right now I'm trying to just write - like Michelle said, I just keep reminding myself that this is the first draft, and I can edit things and pretty them all up later. Mine is m/m erotic fantasy. Pretty elf boys and pretty human boys :D :D :D

message 16: by Viktoria (new)

Viktoria | 35 comments I'm not participating this year but thought you all might appreciate this image for a little inspiration. http://shirt.woot.com/offers/the-writ...

message 17: by Rio (new)

Rio (minxxa) I am still participating, but my guess is I will not accomplish 50,000 in November. Just too much with work and family came up. However... I have just over 20,000 words and am starting to get a pretty nice feel for my characters. This is the most writing I think I've ever done at one time, so I'm proud of that. I will keep plugging away!!