The Sword and Laser discussion

Podcasts > S&L Podcast - #195 - Why It's OK to Hate My Favorite Book

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1702 comments Mod
It's a jam-packed episode this week with great news for Ann Leckie and Andy Weir, our wrap-up of Alif the Unseen, Kickoff of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and the determination that it's OK to hate the book I love.

http://swordandlaser.com/home/2014/10...

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris (kvolk) I love this months pick for all the reasons you cause talked about. Veronica congrats on the series win!

message 3: by Kaleb (new)

Kaleb Is it true that Donald Glover is going to be in thw Martian movie?! Did I hear you guys correctly? !

message 4: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Kaleb wrote: "Is it true that Donald Glover is going to be in thw Martian movie?! Did I hear you guys correctly? !"

Yes!

message 5: by Kaleb (new)

Kaleb Yessssss!

message 6: by Ally (new)

Ally (leopardqueen) I loved the part when you guys started in on sports and Tom was all, Bringing it back to books! I laughed because I was literally having the thought run through my head like, *Yawn* Why can't I get away from people talking about sports?!
Not ragging on you for liking sports, to each their own... but I joined a book club because I'm a nerd, and I became a nerd because I wasn't into sports! ^_^
And I just loved how (I don't know if this was planned) the whole general theme of the podcast seemed to be kind of apartheid or segregation. From the talk of liking different sports teams, to the talk of people not liking each other's favourite books, and then on to "outsiders" or being separate based on other reasons.

message 7: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4190 comments I've only listened to the first 10 minutes or so of this so far. I'd intended to watch the live hangout but then work got in the way. My silly meeting ran long.

Without having gotten to the discussion on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, I will say that I picked the book up from my semi-local B&N on Sunday and am enjoying it more than I thought I would so far. My only other PKD experience was a short story, We Can Build You, which I really hated...so I was trepidatious with the pick. But so far, it's alright.

message 8: by Tamahome (last edited Oct 30, 2014 07:11PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments The first trade paperback of G. Willow Wilson's kind of Indian Ms. Marvel run is just out at bookstores. Her power is she has a giant hand or something. Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal

Just call me Tamakristin.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Tamahome wrote: "The first trade paperback of G. Willow Wilson's kind of Indian Ms. Marvel run is just out at bookstores. Her power is she has a giant hand or something. [book:Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal|208980..."

She's actually a shapeshifter. The giant hand scene was when she saw someone falling into a body of water and enlarged her hand to save them.

message 10: by Tamahome (last edited Oct 31, 2014 06:42AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments (comic book artist Amy Reeder's interpretation of Ms. Marvel)

message 11: by Joanna Chaplin (new)

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments Ally wrote: "And I just loved how (I don't know if this was planned) the whole general theme of the podcast seemed to be kind of apartheid or segregation."

Nice insight, Ally!

I tried to join the Google hangout but I couldn't figure it out while I was mobile-only yesterday. I figured that even if I couldn't sort it out, I'd be able to get the podcast like normal.

message 12: by Peleken (new)

Peleken | 31 comments Ms Marvel is the best new character since the 80's. I'm hoping she'll be to young female minorities what Peter Parker was for a dorky white kid like me.

message 13: by AndrewP (last edited Nov 02, 2014 07:00AM) (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2501 comments Tamahome wrote: "(comic book artist Amy Reeder's interpretation of Ms. Marvel)

"

I'm pretty certain that a giant LEFT hand would be pretty offensive in some cultures :)

message 14: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments Huh.

message 15: by Thane (new)

Thane | 476 comments (Finally getting caught up on the cast)

Baseball: I don't know, Tom and Veronica. Here in the KC area we're all pretty sure there wouldn't have been insane riots, burning couches or tipped over cars. This has been an amazing run for the Royals and everyone was just so dang happy! Newspapers have been printing letters from Giant's fans about how well they were treated in the KC area, especially by Royals fans. There was a spirit of brotherly love over the entire city, even after we lost.

Ah well, maybe next year.

message 16: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Thane wrote: "(Finally getting caught up on the cast)

Baseball: I don't know, Tom and Veronica. Here in the KC area we're all pretty sure there wouldn't have been insane riots, burning couches or tipped over ca..."

That's the best part! There's always next year :)

message 17: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2294 comments Veronica wrote: "Thane wrote: "(Finally getting caught up on the cast)

Baseball: I don't know, Tom and Veronica. Here in the KC area we're all pretty sure there wouldn't have been insane riots, burning couches or tipped over ca..."

That's the best part! There's always next year :) ..."

You heard it here first! Veronica schedules riots for 2015 Kansas City! Everybody bring your most flammable couches ...

message 18: by Thane (new)

Thane | 476 comments Joseph wrote: You heard it here first! Veronica schedules riots for 2015 Kansas City! Everybody bring your most flammable couches ...

...and in tonight's news, a local man has made a fortune selling fire extinguishers painted in Royal's colors...

message 19: by Buzz (new)

Buzz Park (buzzpark) | 346 comments Veronica wrote: "It's a jam-packed episode this week with...our wrap-up of Alif the Unseen..."

Forgot to say THANK YOU for the shout-out on my ATU post. :-)

message 20: by Walter (last edited Nov 22, 2014 01:23PM) (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments Re: Philip K. Dick's novels, the Library of America has a three volume edition of his work. You can purchase them separately, but if you buy all three (maybe $68 or so) they come as a boxed set. I bought the first volume, which includes Tom's favorite, The Man in the High Castle, The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, and Ubik, as well as Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. The other two are Five Novels of the 1960s and 70s: Martian Time-Slip / Dr. Bloodmoney / Now Wait for Last Year / Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said / A Scanner Darkly and VALIS and Later Novels.

For those unfamiliar with it, the Library of America is a nonprofit publisher of classic American literature, founded originally in 1979 with seed money from the National Endowment for the Humanities and the Ford Foundation.

According to Wikipedia: "LoA volumes are prepared and edited by recognized scholars on the subject. Determined efforts are made to correct errors and omissions in previous editions and create a definitive version of the material. Notes on the text are normally included and the source texts properly identified.

"The books are designed to last generations. Each volume in the series contains (acid-free), thin, but durable paper (allowing books with a large number of pages to remain fairly compact). The paper meets the requirements for permanence set by the American National Standards Institute. The paper will not turn yellow or become brittle. The books are bound with the grain of the paper to ensure that they open easily and lie flat without crinkling or buckling.

"The binding cloth is durable woven rayon. The books are Smyth-sewn for permanence and flexibility, and each includes a ribbon marker. Each volume has an identical trim size, based on the "golden section," which the ancient Greeks considered to be the ideal proportion. Each volume contains 700 to 1600 pages.

The typeface used for each volume is Galliard, chosen for its readability and ease on the eyes."

Currently I own only one other LoA volume, Shirley Jackson's Novels and Stories, which includes what are arguably her two best novels, The Haunting of Hill House and We Have Always Lived in the Castle. Plan to buy more as time goes by. :)