YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
This topic is about The Jewel
BUDDY READ:Paranormal/Fantasy > The Jewel (The Lone City #1) by Amy Ewing - Restarting March 25th 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 178 (178 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4391 comments We will be starting this on 20th November. Feel free to join!

Sophie I'm in :)

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4391 comments Awesome!

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4391 comments You guys, it starts tomorrow!

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4391 comments Sorry for the late post, my charger broke and phone died.
End chapter one: (view spoiler) Where are you guys in the review?

Sophie Sorry, I've been super busy lately! I'll try to get to this tomorrow.

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4391 comments No worries. If you are a high school student or in college I completely understand. Especially if you live in the US things are pretty busy with the holiday and I know schools can give a lot of homework during this time well, at least my school that is.

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4391 comments End chapter three: (view spoiler) Where are you guys in the story?

Sophie I'm about halfway through chapter three right now.

(view spoiler)

message 10: by Jackie (last edited Nov 27, 2014 06:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4391 comments (view spoiler)

Sophie About to start chapter 13:
(view spoiler)

Sophie 95%:

(view spoiler)

Sophie Finished!

(view spoiler)

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 84933 comments Mod
**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Date Changed. Restarting March 8th 2015. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

These Violent Delights (Robin) | 776 comments So far im really liking this. I don't love the writing style though..

message 16: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 1373 comments We are going to read this book at the beginning of August (3rd) and some of us might start early. If the date could be changed it would be nice, thank you! :)

Abbie | 27856 comments ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Reading from the 3rd of August 2015

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Can I join this?

message 19: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 1373 comments Of course, everyone is welcome :)

message 20: by Kelly (last edited Aug 05, 2015 06:18AM) (new)

Kelly | 1373 comments Has anyone started reading this? I'll start in a few hours once I'm done with A Madness So Discreet by Mindy McGinnis

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8564 comments No, sorry girl! I'm still really, really behind on my buddies. I'll definitely get to this soon though. Promise!

Abbie | 27856 comments *********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Reading from the 10th of September 2015

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Joining this

Sully  (lorlorsully) | 89 comments Anyone still planning on doing this BR tomorrow? I'm looking to join if so =)

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8564 comments I am, Elise! Sorry I'm late.

Sully  (lorlorsully) | 89 comments Rachel wrote: "I am, Elise! Sorry I'm late."

Awesome, looking forward to it =)

Ashley (xanthax) | 2525 comments Chapter 8: (view spoiler)

Ashley (xanthax) | 2525 comments Chapter 14: (view spoiler)

Sully  (lorlorsully) | 89 comments Up to Chapter 5 (pg 53)

So I know I probably read a blurb on this book when I first added it to my to read list, but I don't remember what it's really about, and I love going into novels with a blind eye to really dive in it without any premade notions or spoilers. And I have to admit that right off the bat, this world is certainly unique.

One question that comes to my mind so far while reading is why looks play such a large role in this world for girls like Violet. They make a big deal about not being allowed to have mirrors where she's been, and when she first sees her reflection, (view spoiler). But if these girls are simply surrogates, why should it matter what they look like? Their DNA will not be used in anyway during the surrogacy, so I'm wondering why looks are so important.

Ashley (xanthax) | 2525 comments Elise wrote: "Up to Chapter 5 (pg 53)

So I know I probably read a blurb on this book when I first added it to my to read list, but I don't remember what it's really about, and I love going into novels with a bl..."

In response to your comments.. (view spoiler)

Sully  (lorlorsully) | 89 comments Ashley wrote: "In response to your comments.. (view spoiler) "

That's a good point. I think if I were in that situation, I would want the opposite though. If I were going to have a surrogate (view spoiler)

Ashley (xanthax) | 2525 comments I agree with you there. (view spoiler)

Sully  (lorlorsully) | 89 comments Ashley wrote: "I agree with you there. [spoilers removed]"

It does make sense that royalty could/would marry for alliances and status and less for love. And I wouldn't be surprised at all if there would be some incest. That seems to happen a lot in monarchies where they try to keep the bloodlines as pure as possible *cringe*

That all being said, it would make sense to want the prettiest surrogate. I haven't gotten that far into the book to the part you mentioned, so that hadn't factored into my low middle class thought process lol.

Sully  (lorlorsully) | 89 comments Up to Chapter IX (pg 97)

Ashley wrote: "I'm also a bit confused as to what the auguries are..."

Yeah, I am wondering the same thing at this point. It definitely seems like it is (view spoiler) And why do only certain people exhibit them, and only from the one part of the society/the outer circle?

At this point, I'm glad I'm not Violet or any of the other girls. (view spoiler)

The sudden appearance of Garnet (view spoiler)

Ashley (xanthax) | 2525 comments Chapter 21: (view spoiler)

Ashley (xanthax) | 2525 comments Chapter 25: (view spoiler)

Sully  (lorlorsully) | 89 comments Up to Chapter 18 (pg 227)

Ashley wrote: "Chapter 14: [spoilers removed]"

I really like Annabelle too. She seems like (view spoiler)

Yeah, the thing with the niece is pretty messed up. That whole situation is awkward, and just further goes to show how... odd this royal society's customs are turning out to be.

What did you think of the way (view spoiler)

I still don't quite know how Ewing is trying to protray the Duchess. I realize perhaps she is trying to make Ewing seem intruguing, but even when (view spoiler)

All the people in this world seen totally messed up, terrible, horrible people, but I can't stop reading this book.

Ashley (xanthax) | 2525 comments Elise wrote: "Up to Chapter 18 (pg 227)

Ashley wrote: "Chapter 14: [spoilers removed]"

I really like Annabelle too. She seems like [spoilers removed]

Yeah, the thing with the niece is pretty messed up. That..."

(view spoiler)

Sully  (lorlorsully) | 89 comments Ashley wrote: "Chapter 21: [spoilers removed]"

Yeah, it certainly seems like this is the case. Not surprising, really, after what she's recently been going through, but definitely doesn't look good for her.

What is really starting to annoy me is her (view spoiler)

Ashley (xanthax) | 2525 comments Elise wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Chapter 21: [spoilers removed]"

Yeah, it certainly seems like this is the case. Not surprising, really, after what she's recently been going through, but definitely doesn't look go..."

(view spoiler)

rachel ☾ (typedtruths) | 8564 comments Gah! I'm so, so sorry! I've been meaning to read this since August and it just hasn't happened... I'll get to it asap. I'm on holidays now so I've got time. Again, so sorry and hope you don't mind me joining in late.

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 84933 comments Mod
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Date Changed. Restarting February 8th 2016. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Sharon Mariampillai | 9867 comments Chapter 1: (view spoiler)

Sharon Mariampillai | 9867 comments Chapter 3: (view spoiler)

Sharon Mariampillai | 9867 comments Chapter 5: (view spoiler)

Sharon Mariampillai | 9867 comments Chapter 8: (view spoiler)

Sharon Mariampillai | 9867 comments Chapter 21: (view spoiler)

Sharon Mariampillai | 9867 comments Ending Thoughts: (view spoiler)

message 49: by Cinthia (new) - added it

Cinthia | 6009 comments I'm gonna join this one a little late. I hope that's ok.

Abbie | 27856 comments *************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Reading from the 15th of May 2017

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

« previous 1 3 4