All About Animals discussion

A Dog's Journey (A Dog's Purpose, #2)
This topic is about A Dog's Journey
Past Group Book Discussions: > A Dog's Journey (A Dog's Purpose, #2) by W. Bruce Cameron

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new) - added it

Barbara (lv2scpbk) | 1257 comments Mod
Nov. 2014 book group discussion. Post comments here:

message 2: by Skye (new)

Skye | 193 comments Are books up for discussion? Equally? I"m not sure I understand.

Thanks,
Skye

message 3: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new) - added it

Any book you want to read that we post for that month is open to discussion. Equally or otherwise.

We are hoping since there is more choices more people will get involved in the discussions.

And, you are more than welcome to start the conversation.

message 4: by Skye (new)

Skye | 193 comments Sorry, Barb, I meant to write: Are both books. . . ?

Just wondering why the other book is in quotes.

Thanks.

message 5: by Sheri (new)

Sheri S. | 18 comments This is a wonderful book! Lots of good stuff in it!
Sheri Levy
Seven Days to Goodbye

message 6: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new) - added it

Skye wrote: "Sorry, Barb, I meant to write: Are both books. . . ?

Just wondering why the other book is in quotes.

Thanks."
I don't know why it's in quotes. Maybe cause I made a mistake when I typed it. Not for any other reason. Sorry for the confusion.

message 7: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new) - added it

Skye, Maybe I'm confused. If you mean book 1 of A Dog's Journey and you want to make comments on that one too, go ahead. I keep the threads up for that purpose.

Book 1 was supposed to be discussed last month, but it can really be discussed anytime.

We are just now on the 2nd book of this one for this month.

message 8: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new) - added it

Actually the 1st book was in Sept. where we were to discuss it. This is now book 2. But, it's okay if you want to discuss them both.

message 9: by Skye (new)

Skye | 193 comments ah! I thought we had discussed the first one so that explains it. Thanks!
And boy, am I getting old. I said quotes and meant parentheses. Sorry.

message 10: by Jolene (new) - added it

Jolene Dretzka (blaqkat_13) | 92 comments Has anyone started this book yet?
I read book one & am now listening to book 2 on my computer. I loved the first one, but am having some issues with the story in this one. The angry animal hating mother is hard listening to (even thought I know people like that exist) & her kid thinking she can hide the dog is kind of silly, but I think I could look past all that if the person reading the book wasn't a weird older man who doing a falsetto female voice for the mother, lol. Anyone else have thoughts on it so far?

message 11: by Stewart, Moderator (new)

Stewart McFarlane (mcfarlane) | 147 comments Mod
Bruce Cameron A DOGS JOURNEY
I didn’t find this sequel as inspiring as A DOG’S PURPOSE, which I reviewed very positively. Of course in the sequel, the idea of the re-incarnated dog is not new anymore.

Buddy (aka Coaly/Bailey) is still here; and the books starts well with him watching over the departed Ethan’s toddler granddaughter, Clarity (CJ), and then saving her from drowning. But as Clarity grows up, and Buddy takes the form of Molly, then Max; the story didn’t really grab me. I didn’t find the troubled teen, would be actress, CJ very sympathetic. Her only redeeming feature is her love for her dogs. This is partly intended by the author because he is portraying CJ as a disturbed teen, with an uncaring, feckless Mother, Gloria. Gloria is a drinker, who is wasting CJ’s trust fund on high living and hooking up with unsuitable boyfriends, one of whom tries to abuse CJ, and is threatened by her dog. The dogs suffer as a result of the mother-daughter conflict. This of course is an accurate reflection of aspects modern American suburban life, and more depressing for that. I just found it not very appealing to witness the tortured social drama in detail. The story does redeem itself to some extent with the ending, which I shall not give away and spoil for those still to read. I see that these two books are to form the basis for a movie. I hope the screen writers focus on the first one.

message 12: by Jolene (new) - added it

Jolene Dretzka (blaqkat_13) | 92 comments Stewart-
I feel a little better about not caring for the second novel now that I know I'm not alone in my thoughts. Though half my problem really was the guy reading the audio version, I was still having trouble with the same parts as you. A little too aggro for my tastes perhaps. Anyway, I really do hope it redeems itself in the end like you say it does, since, despite my issues with the story , I still plan to try & finish it. The sad part was I was really excited to read the second book after loving the first so much. A Dog's Purpose is one of my top 10 favorite books of all time, sadly A Dog's Journey won't be making it on that list. Also, I didn't know they were going to make a movie based on these 2 books, that's awesome, where did you hear that?

message 13: by Stewart, Moderator (last edited Nov 02, 2014 06:36PM) (new)

I guess the author was trying for more contemporary realism in "A Dog's Journey" and trying to avoid "Disneyism". But I didn't really like the characters or their lifestyle.The other difficulty was that in " A Dog's Purpose" Bailey's being re-united with Ethan, after several lifetimes is a real surprise plot twist; whereas in the second it is almost taken for granted that the dog will be with CJ through different lives, so the surprise is lost. Still, not every book by an author can be a winner; and he did a fine job with 'A Dog's Purpose". On the movie; Dream Works bought the rights in 2011, and I think the movie is in progress. Here is one link, but there are a few others.http://www.patheos.com/blogs/heavenly...

I think the idea of the book resonates with so many older dog owners because, we see traits of one treasured dog, appearing in another dog, years or decades later. My current pack leader, a handsome, clever GSD,is so much like my Irish Setter of 40=30 years ago, that they are like the same dog.Much of course hangs on the relationship I have built with these powerful dogs, who are my constant companions. Another example: we are taking care of a little Thai farm dog for my wife's relatives; and she plays with me by rugby tackling me and trying to stop me with her teeth my ankle, but very gently. My Shetland Sheepdog from 40-50 years ago, used to do exactly the same.I never thought I would be limping around the house again, using one leg, while the other leg has a dog attached to it.All I can do is laugh and try not to fall over and think of my little Sheltie, when I was a youngster.

message 14: by Skye (new)

Skye | 193 comments A fantastic first book followed by a so-so second book is not all that rare. I have always believed that some people have only one good book in them (Harper Lee apparently agrees with me). If I can give an example, I loved You Had me at Woof by Julie Klan, followed by Love at First Bark. Another good example is Larry Levin's Oogy - incredible story and incredibly well-written but I don't think he can top that. Wish he could equal it though. (and I know him). And one more whose title escapes me - a single mom moves to the east coast. . . . (sorry but reviewing 50 books a year plays havoc on my memory some times).

Sofie | 86 comments Hi guys sorry I have been MIA I have exams this week so haven't really been able to get through much yet, however I have read this book before. Its funny you say that Jolene, I also found it very hard to read about the mother but I find that sometimes reading things we don't necessarily like or agree with can help open your mind a bit more (well it did for me anyway). I happen to love this book just as much as the first, it discusses much darker things than the first book did but it also shows how much we depend on our animals. What part are you up to now?

message 16: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new) - added it

I read Oogy awhile back. I know we're not talking about that book here, but I know I didn't know quite how to rate that one cause I gave Oogy high rating because of what he went through, but the book itself, not so much. I have a review on here if you want me to find it.

message 17: by Stewart, Moderator (last edited Nov 03, 2014 11:01PM) (new)

Good point Sofie. It is important to read about bad people doing terrible things, and we can learn from that. But much depends on the quality of the writing. Personally I found Gloria, CJ's Mom in,"A Dogs Journey", a bit of a "Disneyish/ Pantomime Villain, in other words, presented as a "Cruella de Ville", one dimensional type character. If we think of how Charles Dickens wrote up classic, "Bad Guys": Bill Sykes and Fagin, in "Oliver Twist", then you see the difference. Bit unfair I know comparing this book with "Oliver Twist". But these "bad" characters are complex and without doubt "evil", and fascinating to read about. Bruce Cameron wrote a great book in "A Dog's Purpose", so credit to him. Maybe I am saying that Cameron writes about dogs, better than he writes about people. Nothing wrong with that.

Sofie | 86 comments Yes I agree with you in the sense that he does write better about dogs than he does about people, and maybe that's why I didn't see any problem with this book, due to the fact as a person I am more interested in animals than people and just put down CJ's mum as a bad person without thinking it through anymore. I suppose its just a different perception of characters people have and it will be interesting to see how everyone else who is reading this book thinks of it

message 19: by Stewart, Moderator (new)

Yes, I think I generally find animals more interesting than people. I probably write better about animals than people too. But to be fair, I do like people who like animals.

message 20: by Jolene (new) - added it

Jolene Dretzka (blaqkat_13) | 92 comments Sofie-
I agree with you about needing to read the bad with the good & that is why I will finish it (although I'm actually listening to it on my computer). As for CJ's mom, I agree with Stewart that her character is a Disney'ish one dimensional villain. I still don't like her though, especially when she locks the dog in her ex-mother in-laws cellar & he gets hurt & she lies about it. The person reading the book is also doing a horrible job of reading her part. Every time he gets to the mothers part he changes his voice to this really annoying stereotyped falsetto voice. I agree, like you, that regardless of the characters being good bad or otherwise I prefer reading about the animals more than the humans. As for what part I'm at.... I'm at the point where CJ got the dog without telling her mom & her mom is going out of town for a few days. She's been trying to hide the dog in the basement & her room, so her mom leaving for a bit should give her some much needed freedom. Did I explain the part of the book I'm at well enough? Anyway, I'm crossing my fingers that something happy or good starts happening soon.

Sofie | 86 comments Yes you did explain it well :) how is everyone going with it so far? Are you feeling any different about it yet Jolene?