Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Archives (maybe Revisit) > Series Read: Dark Hunters by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Oct 30, 2014 10:38AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30836 comments Mod
Thread for the series buddy read of the Dark-Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon.

Series Synopsis:

The Dark-Hunter Credo:
We are Darkness. We are Shadow.

We are the Rulers of the Night.

We, alone, stand between mankind and those who would see mankind destroyed. We are the Guardians.

The Soulless Keepers.

Our souls were cast out so that we would not forewarn the Daimons we pursue. By the time they see us coming, it’s too late.

The Daimons and Apollites know us. They fear us. We are death to all those who prey upon the humans.

Neither Human, nor Apollite, we exist beyond the realm of the Living, beyond the realm of the Dead.

We are the Dark-Hunters.

And we are eternal.

Yeah, yeah. Enough of the doom and gloom because, baby, that ain’t us. You want to know what a Dark-Hunter is? We are what the intro says. We’re Mad, Bad and Immortal. We’re ancient warriors with attitudes who fight rough, and play hard.

We are the scary things that go bump in the night. And we love every minute of it. So when you think you’re being watched. You just might be. The question is…is it something evil or is it one of us?

Books
Night Pleasures (Dark-Hunter, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon	Night Embrace (Dark-Hunter, #2) by Sherrilyn Kenyon	Dance with the Devil (Dark-Hunter, #3) by Sherrilyn Kenyon	Kiss of the Night (Dark-Hunter, #4) by Sherrilyn Kenyon	Seize the Night (Dark-Hunter, #5) by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Sins of the Night (Dark-Hunter, #6) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Devil May Cry (Dark-Hunter, #7) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Acheron (Dark-Hunter, #8) by Sherrilyn Kenyon One Silent Night (Dark-Hunter, #9) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Retribution (Dark-Hunter, #10) by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Time Untime (Dark-Hunter, #11) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #12) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Son of No One (Hellchasers, #6; Dark-Hunter, #13) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Rules & How to
1. Identify the book you are commenting
2. Comments ALWAYS under spoiler tags

Example of a comment
Little stars are not mandatory, I just like them :o)

☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
Book:Fool Moon - chapters 1 to 4
☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
(view spoiler)

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30836 comments Mod
reserved

message 3: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 1259 comments Marking this as a maybe for me...sounds interesting, but don't want to over-commit myself in BR!

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments I've been wanting to read this series for a while now. I'm looking forward to it.

message 5: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4949 comments I'm good for starting in January. I could do December too.

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4276 comments Looking forward to revising this series. I read the majority of books in 2011, be nice to reread.

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4276 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "I'm good for starting in January. I could do December too."

January sounds good to me.

message 8: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere I don't think that order for DH is correct. There are some were-hunter & dream hunter books that come before Acheron.
I am on book 13 in the overall universe Upon the Midnight Clear (Dream-Hunter, #2) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

message 10: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (last edited Oct 30, 2014 01:57PM) (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4276 comments Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "I don't think that order for DH is correct. There are some were-hunter & dream hunter books that come before Acheron.
I am on book 13 in the overall universe Upon the Midnight Clear (Dream-Hunter, #2) by Sherrilyn Kenyon"

I thought there were too few books, but it didn't click. I've put the reading order in post above.

message 11: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere ✼Danielle wrote: "Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "I don't think that order for DH is correct. There are some were-hunter & dream hunter books that come before Acheron.
I am on book 13 in the overall universe [bo..."

thanks. i will join this one

message 12: by Logan (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments I'm three books in. I'll join for Dance with the Devil and on.

message 13: by Srividya (new)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments Am in for this too.

I have read quite a few of these books but after some time I found them too daunting, especially when I kept seeing the never ending nature of the series. Will join in and read from the first..maybe a featured series read will help me finish this series finally.

message 14: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4949 comments I read Fantasy Lover a few years ago. I was going to start with Night Pleasures for this. But I can reread Fantasy Lover if someone wants to start there.

So is everyone good with January?

message 15: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments I'll join too. I have been meaning to read this author for a while. I'm good with January. Are we looking at a specific date or is it upto each person? I'm asking so I can reserve the book at the library..

message 16: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4276 comments Yep, January is good

message 17: by Srividya (new)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments January sounds perfect.

message 18: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 1259 comments If we do January, I'm probably good to go! I've committed to too much in December already (and we're not already to November!) but I can do January.

I noticed on a few other series reads, they planned out one book of the series each month...is that the norm for series BR like this? This is a bit new to me, so I know to plan on this series doing one book a month, it helps me to plan out better. Although when I find a series I like I tend to gobble them up and read like a maniac back-to-back!

message 19: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4949 comments I also tend to read a few of a series in a row. But I'm good with just doing one a month. We can play it by ear and see how people are progressing and/or make good use of spoiler tags.

message 20: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4949 comments Anyone starting with Dream Lover?

message 21: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4276 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "Anyone starting with Dream Lover?"

If you mean Fantasy Lover, then no, I'll probably won't reread that one.

message 22: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (last edited Oct 31, 2014 10:12AM) (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4276 comments I've changed my mind Mary. I will start with Fantasy Lover. Best to read though them in order.

message 23: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4949 comments Oops. If I can get it from my library, then I will reread that one.

message 24: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments I'll probably start with Fantasy Lover if I can find a copy.

message 25: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere Im in

message 26: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4949 comments Great!

I got Fantasy Lover on audio from the library. So I can start any time if anyone wants to start in December.

message 27: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4949 comments So when in January do we want to start this? I have Fantasy Lover loaded up on my IPOD and can start anytime in January.

message 28: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4276 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "So when in January do we want to start this? I have Fantasy Lover loaded up on my IPOD and can start anytime in January."

How about the 2nd?

message 29: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 1259 comments I'm planning to start right after the 1st of the year...I got my copy yesterday but have a few things I have to read before year end and want to use this for a challenge that I can't start reading until Jan 1 so prob 1st or 2nd works for me as well.

I don't have Fantasy Lover, so I'm starting with Night Pleasures.

message 30: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4949 comments Sounds good.

message 31: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4949 comments I am still on track to start this in the next day or two. But I can also put it back if needed. I have a lot of school work to do but I also have 2 extra days off this week. Plus I have Fantasy Lover on audio and usually listen to audiobooks when in the car and doing housework. So should be able to knock it our pretty quickly.

message 32: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 1259 comments I going to be a few days late starting....may not be till Monday or so as I'm tying to finish up a couple other boojs...somehow I way overbooked my Jan 1 with BR!

message 33: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 1259 comments Started today but will be bouncing between a few books so will be a little slower.

message 34: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 1259 comments Started yesterday...it's a pretty easy read if I could get past my distractions at home! I like the humor and wittiness of the characters.

The only thing I'm having trouble with so far is (view spoiler)

Otherwise a good fun story to watch.

message 35: by Logan (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments I had that same issue, Tara Jo. Mythology has never been my strong suit, which is why I think I ignored this series for so long. But despite the big cast list, I found the history and backstory stuff to be really interesting.

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon (sapphireddragon) | 1360 comments Gonna keep an eye on this thread as I just bought night embrace yesterday. I originally read fantasy lover and night pleasures from the library so if I can get my hands on them will reread again otherwise I will join you when you get to night embrace :-)

message 37: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 1259 comments I like the writer's style and the characters are pretty good. I'm somehow picturing Kyrian as Flavio with shorter hair!

Someone compared this series to me as similar to Black Dagger Brotherhood....so far not seeing that much at all (other than the hunters=brothers and Daemons=Lessers) but the style and feel are totally different. BDB I couldn't put down....this one not so much.

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 696 comments I love this series her new book Dragonbane (Hellchaser, #7; Dark Hunter #24) by Sherrilyn Kenyon comes out in August

message 39: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4949 comments I'm about a 1/3rd of the way through Fantasy Lover. It's just a run of the mill light paranormal romance so far. Unless this book is about to take a much different tone or the rest of the series is very different, I can't see how they'd be similar to BDB.

message 40: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 1259 comments I agree. I'm at about 75% and it's just eh for me. I was really hoping for another fun and exciting series but so far just not really feeling it. I'll give book 2 and maybe 3 a try just to see if it's this book or maybe as I'm not feeling great maybe it's me but just ok so far.

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 696 comments Tara Jo wrote: "I agree. I'm at about 75% and it's just eh for me. I was really hoping for another fun and exciting series but so far just not really feeling it. I'll give book 2 and maybe 3 a try just to see if i..."

I had a hard time with the first book also but the rest of the series does get better

message 42: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4949 comments I'm actually looking for something lighter than the BDB books.

message 43: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 1259 comments Finished this off last night....overall it was okay. Nothing great but decent. i think I had bigger hopes for it as I was expecting it to be more like Black Dagger Brotherhood (I'd been told it was similar). It was not really anything like that, other than the vampires fighting the bad guys.

I'm not going to write off the series...I'll give it another book or two...but it just didn't WOW me like I had hoped for. The MC of Kyrian and Amanda were okay, but not great for me. I was hoping I'd find another series I would immediately want to read Book 2 in, and this wasn't it. I'll read it, but I won't be putting aside everything else to squeeze this series in.

message 44: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Its interesting that people compare Dark Hunters to BDB. Other than the fact that the heroes are part of a brotherhood (if you could even call the Dark Hunters that), they two series have nothing in common.

Personally, I found the BDB series virtually unreadable. I know I'm in the minority in this respect, but for me Kenyon's writing is much better both in terms of world building, plots, characters, and especially dialogue. Admittedly I only read up until BDB #4 and even that was only because it fit into 4 different challenges at one time.

Its possible that my preference for DH is due to my love of Greek mythology and Kenyon's research in this area is excellent.

message 45: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 1259 comments Lauren wrote: "Its interesting that people compare Dark Hunters to BDB. Other than the fact that the heroes are part of a brotherhood (if you could even call the Dark Hunters that), they two series have nothing i..."

I can see that....for me, mythology has always been very difficult...I have a hard time keeping the various gods, etc straight. I think it's because of the names (they all seem so similar to each other, yet so foreign to me, which makes it hard for me to keep people straight). I think if they had names like John, Jane, Susan, etc I could follow it more easily!! I had the same issue trying to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and I think it's because of the names.

Kenyon's writing was definitely lighter and wittier...BDB was definitely a darker read. I think when I read the 2nd book in this series, since I'll be going into it with a different mind set I may have better luck with it! I also have had several people tell me that the 1st book was a slower start for them as well, so fingers crossed the next one works out better for me because I wanted to like this one!

message 46: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4949 comments The BDB series, IMO, was more Urban Fantasy with, 3rd person viewpoints and alittle more romance and sex thrown in than what's normal for UF.

I'm almost finished with book 1: Fantasy Lover of this series and it's just a light pnr. Some series lists show this as book 1 and other shows Night Pleasures as book 1. I'm wondering if she wrote this as a stand alone and it gave her or her publisher the idea for a series about Ancient Warriors.

message 47: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4949 comments Tara I have the same issue with names. If they are too similar or rhyme or something then I confuse them.

message 48: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 1259 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "The BDB series, IMO, was more Urban Fantasy with, 3rd person viewpoints and alittle more romance and sex thrown in than what's normal for UF.

I'm almost finished with book 1: [book:Fantasy Lover|..."

I thought that was odd too....I didn't read Fantasy Lover, but heard other people saying they were going to start there. My library doesn't even have that one (they have most of the rest of the books starting at Night Pleasures) so I dind't quite get that tie-in connection.

message 49: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4949 comments My library shows Night Pleasures book 1 of the series. Fictfact has Fantasy Lover as book 1. So far I don't see it as being the set up of a series and I didn't the first time I read it several years ago.

message 50: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4949 comments I finished Fantasy Lover. It was just ok for me. The women constantly throwing themselves at Julian and the whole "Grace isn't sexy enough for a guy like Julian" thing got tiring.

« previous 1