The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Buddy-Reads > November 2014 - C.S. Lewis

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
I'll be starting Surprised by Joy: The Shape of My Early Life on November 1st, and Out of the Silent Planet on the 8th. Anyone is welcome to join me! :)

message 2: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne | 1224 comments I will join you for Surprised by Joy but I may not start until the middle of November. I need to finish up some things first.

message 3: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
Roseanne wrote: "I will join you for Surprised by Joy but I may not start until the middle of November. I need to finish up some things first."

Okay, I can hold off on talking about it until then.

message 4: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
I'm on chapter 4 of Surprised by Joy: The Shape of My Early Life. So far, I love the way he describes joy as that moment of sudden, unexpected thrill that you try and try to recapture but can never force it to come. It has to just happen. I can relate to that.

It's a great read!

message 5: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne | 1224 comments I started to read it last night and I just couldn't get into it so I stopped and started again this morning. Nonficition is the genre I like the least. This morning I did better. I am through the first chapter and I am enjoying it so far.

message 6: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Renee M | 4727 comments Mod
I struggle with NF, too. But there are a few that weren't a struggle and this was definitely one. I quickly got caught up in his thoughts and writing. I hope you will, too. :)

message 7: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
I have to admit, I've stalled with it myself - mostly because the library copy I have is really gross and I don't like carrying it around with me, but also because he spends a little too long on his "public school" days for my taste. It makes me downright angry to hear/read about what kids went/go through in boarding schools, and I'm angry enough at humanity right now without that invading my reading time as well. :P

I'll get back into it this weekend when I have more free time.

message 8: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Angry at the crap in kids' lives is something With which I can completely identify. I say the Serenity prayer a LOT, so I can focus on what I Can do. Otherwise I'd never get through the day. Seriously.

message 9: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne | 1224 comments I am 23% done. I am really enjoying it. I was dreading November but this turned out to be a good month.

message 10: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
Roseanne wrote: "I am 23% done. I am really enjoying it. I was dreading November but this turned out to be a good month."

Yay! I'm so glad! :D

I'm almost finished Surprised By Joy, so I'm hoping to get started on Out of the Silent Planet tonight.

I have to say, I relate a lot to C.S. Lewis. I've known it for years, but reading his autobiography has cemented it for me - I get the way this man thought. I wish I could have had a conversation with him! He's certainly going on my "people to track down in heaven" list. ;)

message 11: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Great commentary, Faye! I completely agree with you. :)

message 12: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
I finished Surprised By Joy last night! 4 stars from me. My review is here - https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Now on to Out of the Silent Planet!

message 13: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
Finished Out of the Silent Planet last night - I found it hard to put down, which is unusual for me lately! What an absolutely beautiful book. I have to admit, if I ever found myself on Malacandra, I don't think I'd be anxious to return to Earth.

Now to track down the other 2 books in this series!

message 14: by Roseanne (last edited Nov 13, 2014 08:57AM) (new)

Roseanne | 1224 comments Almost halfway through Surprised by Joy: The Shape of My Early Life. I am enjoying it. As far as nonfiction goes it is fantastic but I would say I love it. I am just not a nonfiction kind of girl.

Out of the Silent Planet looks interesting. I may just read it next year.

message 15: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
I'm glad you're enjoying it, Roseanne. :)

message 16: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne | 1224 comments Finished last night. I enjoyed it but still I struggled at times. I was actually up late last night finishing it. I stayed up late to finish a nonfiction book! I cant believe it. Thanks so much for the suggestion Faye. :)

message 17: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
That's awesome, Roseanne! He's just such an excellent writer that everything he writes is captivating. :)