Black Coffee discussion

Archives > November Challenge

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments Our theme this month is Stormy Weather.

November 30 marks the official end of Hurricane Season. In light of that, choose at least 1 book that includes any kind of stormy weather: hurricanes, hail storms, blizzards, tornados, etc.

You can use:

*The Cover The Good House by Tananarive Due
*The Title The Hurricane Sisters
*An event in the book Their Eyes Were Watching God & Isle of Canes

Both of our monthly reads can be used for this challenge. Take advantage of that, or choose your own.

You can list your choices and goals here and/or on the widget.

https://www.goodreads.com/challenges/...

Have fun!

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane Their Eyes Were Watching God

message 3: by Maya (new)

Maya B | 799 comments I am going to read Their eyes were watching God. I remember reading it in high school. I am excited about reading this again especially now that I am older.

message 4: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1078 comments Not sure all that I will be reading in November but I have one book whose title means this criteria.

Harmattan (destructive wind)

message 5: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments I am going to go for 12 books again.

My theme book will be Isle of Canes. Maybe also Cloud Atlas.

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments I'll be going for 8 again and reading "Their Eyes Were Watching God" (Londa knows I'm excited about it, lol).

message 7: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1078 comments Beverly wrote: "Not sure all that I will be reading in November but I have one book whose title means this criteria.

Harmattan (destructive wind)"

I am going for 15 (again)

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda | 172 comments I'm planning to read the Age of Miracles, if it becomes available from the library. I don't want to pay for it. I'm first on the waiting list.

message 9: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

Lulu (lulureads365) | 2489 comments Mod
I'm going to keep going for 8 until I reach that goal. lol

message 10: by Linda (new)

Linda | 172 comments I got the Age of Miracles, today, from the library. Hopefully I will read it for the challenge. Honestly, I'm not very excited about it. I think it was an Oprah book which is usually the mark of doom, for me.

message 11: by Londa (last edited Nov 04, 2014 05:43PM) (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments Linda that sounds like a book I read last year called Spin by Robert Charles Wilson. Interesting storyline. Let us know what you think once you start reading.

message 12: by Linda (new)

Linda | 172 comments Londa: I finished Age of Miracles. The writing was good, but it really should have been marketed as YA. I'm, actually, going to buy it as a present, but I can't recommend it for an adult.

message 13: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1078 comments Linda wrote: "Londa: I finished Age of Miracles. The writing was good, but it really should have been marketed as YA. I'm, actually, going to buy it as a present, but I can't recommend it for an adult."

I agree. I read this and was too YA for my taste. Actually was speaking with a friend and we both do not like books with a YA bent that are often marketed as adult books.

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments How did everyone do on their November challenge? What were your favorite books?

message 15: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments I didn't complete my challenge but that's ok.

My two favorite books for the month were both audio.

Child 44 5 ***** So good! Action, intrigue, history ... all the good stuff :0)

The Night Circus 4 **** I finally joined the legions of others who have already enjoyed this book. It wasn't at all what I was expecting!

message 16: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments Linda. I read YA from time to time, but the mushy "He loves me, He loves me not" types get on my nerves LOL I actually prefer reading middle grade books to YA for that reason. They are generally romance free.

If this one isn't mushy I might give it a go.

message 17: by Linda (new)

Linda | 172 comments Londa wrote: "Linda. I read YA from time to time, but the mushy "He loves me, He loves me not" types get on my nerves LOL I actually prefer reading middle grade books to YA for that reason. They are generally ro..."

Londa: There is unrequited love and angst. I bought the book as a gift for a teenager. The writing is good, but I wouldn't recommend it for an adult.

message 18: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1078 comments I met my goal as I was focused on making sure I completed the Around-the-World in 80 Countries challenge this year. So listened to a lot of audio books as I worked on some de-cluttering projects.

Here are my fav reads for November:

The Next One to Fall - a mystery where I liked the main character a travel writer - will read more books in this series.

Destiny's Captive - this is the final book in a trilogy and enjoyed - though this is a darker grittier storyline than usual for Ms. Jenkins

Citizens Creek - enjoyed this storyline based on a Black Creed family and their struggles for their identity and freedom

Angels Make Their Hope Here interesting historical fiction based on the myths and legends of a mixed race community

The Catch - intriguing intelligently written thriller - if you are a fan of brilliant strong fearless female protagonist you will enjoy this book (and the series)

message 19: by Linda (last edited Dec 05, 2014 07:06AM) (new)

Linda | 172 comments All God's Children Need Traveling Shoes was my favorite. It is the fifth of Angelou's autobiographies. It is, probably, my least favorite of her autos, but my favorite book of November.

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments My favorite book was Jane Eyre.