Horror Aficionados discussion

Any horror movie lovers out there??

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex (alexwoeppel) | 17 comments Hi guys! I'd love to connect with some horror movie lovers! I have a movie review blog called doom-generation.com. Check it out and let me know what you think.

I am also open to guest posts. So if any of you writers/aspiring writers like talking about movies, maybe we can work something out! Doesn't have to ONLY be horror... anything weird will do!

Movie Reviews for the Sublimely Weird
Doom-Generation.com

Alex

message 2: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 15 comments I don't get much out of modern horror movies, but I am a BIG fan of the old Hammer films! Good luck with your blog!

message 3: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments I''ll check this out in a bit Alex. I've been posting all horror content on my tumblr so it'll be good to see others with pages all horrored out.

message 4: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Conley (gecizzle) I love horror movies! And my wife hates them, just like your bf lolz. She'll never watch one with me. Your blog looks great, I've bookmarked it to go through some more of your reviews. Keep up the good work!

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex (alexwoeppel) | 17 comments Thanks Justin and Glenn!

Kirsten, classic horrors are great too!

message 6: by Joe (new)

Joe Augustyn Happy Halloween, Alex! I pm'd you.

message 7: by Gianfranco (last edited Oct 31, 2014 09:11AM) (new)

Gianfranco Mancini | 519 comments Great blog!

Happy Halloween :D

message 8: by Taysha (new)

Taysha (taariya) I love foreign horror flicks and think there are tons that just do not get the recognition they deserve (even if they are a bit less recent, they are still must-sees). I don't think I'm qualified to write really professional reviews but how would you feel about suggestions for movies?

message 9: by Alex (new)

Alex (alexwoeppel) | 17 comments Taetia wrote: "I love foreign horror flicks and think there are tons that just do not get the recognition they deserve (even if they are a bit less recent, they are still must-sees). I don't think I'm qualified t..."

Absolutely!! I love foreign horror films as well! Suggestions are more than welcome!

message 10: by Paul (new)

Paul Roberts Foreign horror films you might enjoy:
Let The Right One In
Vinyan
Martyrs
Inside
Possession
Trouble Every Day

message 11: by Alex (new)

Alex (alexwoeppel) | 17 comments Paul wrote: "Foreign horror films you might enjoy:
Let The Right One In
Vinyan
Martyrs
Inside
Possession
Trouble Every Day"

Great choices! The only one I haven't seen is Vinyan. Maybe I will make that my next watch. I LOVE all the other films and did a review for Trouble Every Day a while back.
http://doom-generation.com/trouble-ev...

message 12: by Paul (new)

Paul Roberts Cool review. Love Beatrice Dalle, and just about everything Claire Denis does. I also enjoyed: Livide, Sauna, Kill List, and Calvaire. Bruno Dumont's films are quite horrific and well done.

message 13: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Barnett | 186 comments I Saw the Devil is an absolute must.
Frontier (or was it frontiers?) is another pretty solid piece of French horror.

message 14: by Alex (new)

Alex (alexwoeppel) | 17 comments Paul wrote: "Cool review. Love Beatrice Dalle, and just about everything Claire Denis does. I also enjoyed: Livide, Sauna, Kill List, and Calvaire. Bruno Dumont's films are quite horrific and well done."

I've been dying to see Livide but there are no region1 dvds available yet, as far as I know. Kill List and Calvaire are sooo wonderful and scary. Sauna is on the list.

And thanks for bringing my attention to Bruno Dumont. I've seena couple of his films but need to see more.

message 15: by Alex (new)

Alex (alexwoeppel) | 17 comments Daniel wrote: "I Saw the Devil is an absolute must.
Frontier (or was it frontiers?) is another pretty solid piece of French horror."

Both fantastic films.

message 16: by Laurie (new)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments Audition. You must see Audition!

message 17: by Alex (new)

Alex (alexwoeppel) | 17 comments Bark's Book Nonsense wrote: "Audition. You must see Audition!"

The book is really good too! But one of those rare cases when the movie is better than the book, I think.

message 18: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Conley (gecizzle) High Tension is another awesome french horror flick. I'm not really a fan of foreign films, but this one was awesome. It was well worth the subtitles. Not that you need to pay attention to dialog, when a crazy chick comes at you with a chainsaw.

message 19: by William (new)

William Miller | 21 comments As far as foreign horror movies are concerned, here are some I really enjoyed:

Dog Soldiers (British)
The Descent (British)
Shaun of the Dead (British)
Horror of Dracula (British)
28 Days Later (British)
28 Weeks Later (British)
The Dead (British)
The Wicker Man (Original British version)
REC (Spain)
The Devil's Backbone (Spain)
The Orphanage (Spain)
Pan's Labyrinth (Spain)
Let the Right One In (Sweden)
Thale (Norway)
Ringu (Japan)
Trick R' Treat (Canada)
Fido (Canada)
Daybreakers (Australia)
Nosferatu (German)
We Are the Night (German)
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (German)
Rammbock: Berlin Undead (German)
Dead Alive (New Zealand)
Black Sheep (New Zealand)
Suspiria (Italian)

I hope this list is helpful to you!

message 20: by Alex (new)

Alex (alexwoeppel) | 17 comments William wrote: "As far as foreign horror movies are concerned, here are some I really enjoyed:

Dog Soldiers (British)
The Descent (British)
Shaun of the Dead (British)
Horror of Dracula (British)
28 Days Later (..."

Great list!

I haven't seen We Are The Night, Thale, Daybreakers, or Horror of Dracula yet. Thanks for the suggestions!

Of that list, REC and The Orphanage are my faves. REC is SO scary and The Orphanage completely caught me by surprise.

message 21: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 6946 comments REC is a really good movie and I enjoyed REC 2. REC 3? Eh, not so much. I think a final REC movie is suppose to be coming out or has come out already.

message 22: by Alex (new)

Alex (alexwoeppel) | 17 comments Erin wrote: "REC is a really good movie and I enjoyed REC 2. REC 3? Eh, not so much. I think a final REC movie is suppose to be coming out or has come out already."

Yeah I've heard mixed reviews on REC 3. I'll prob still watch it since its on Netflix. I don't think the 4th one has come out yet, soon though I believe. Hopefully it gets better reviews than 3!

message 23: by Lilianna (new)

Lilianna Gumberidze | 5 comments i am the big lover of horror movies and books!<3

message 24: by Romina (new)

Romina Nicolaides (ronicolaides) | 19 comments Good idea Alex! With enough notice I'd be up for something like that!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I love horror movies and would be happy to guest post when I actually have a real website, which should be happening next month.

As far as good foreign movies go, the Cold Prey series from Norway is awesome!

I'm usually a fan of psychological horror over gore.

message 26: by Alex (new)

Alex (alexwoeppel) | 17 comments J.H. wrote: "I love horror movies and would be happy to guest post when I actually have a real website, which should be happening next month.

Hi J.H. Sounds great! What kind of site are you launching? Working with other blogs and bloggers is a great way to cross-pollinate viewers/readers. So it would be useful for both of us! Keep me updated on your progress and email when you are interested at admin@doom-generation.com

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

It's my author's website, with my blog featured prominently. I just don't want to direct new readers to my awful Blogger account. :)

I'll definitely keep you updated. I've been told my team will begin building the site at the end of this week, and I'd love to write some posts for you.

message 28: by Lilianna (new)

Lilianna Gumberidze | 5 comments Sorry to come here unexceptly, but I would love to be here in this group. I love horror and ghotic style romans or novels, I'm fan of old scary books, like "Frankenstein", or "Castle of Otranto", and many out there.
So, hey people, hopely, I won't make any of yours uncomfortable, me to be here too.
Thanks! :) xxx

message 29: by Lilianna (new)

Lilianna Gumberidze | 5 comments And Alex, I loved your blog, Amazingly interessting! :) xxx

message 30: by Alex (new)

Alex (alexwoeppel) | 17 comments Lilianna wrote: "Sorry to come here unexceptly, but I would love to be here in this group. I love horror and ghotic style romans or novels, I'm fan of old scary books, like "Frankenstein", or "Castle of Otranto", a..."

Welcome, Lilianna! I read Frankenstein a couple months ago and definitely enjoyed it. Have you read Dracula yet? I liked it better than Frankenstein.

message 31: by Alex (new)

Alex (alexwoeppel) | 17 comments Lilianna wrote: "And Alex, I loved your blog, Amazingly interessting! :) xxx"

Thanks for the wonderful compliment! :)

message 32: by Lilianna (new)

Lilianna Gumberidze | 5 comments Alex, you are welcome anytime. :)
So, I was reading Dracula a couple months ago, and i definitly loved it. But, it's not same as Frankenstein.
Marry Shalley (Am I spelling it correct? haha) made a modern Prometheus. So, I think it's a little diffrent story right? Dracula is more bloody, and like a detective a little bit, and Frankenstein is pure philosophy sometimes. Don't you think?

message 33: by Lilianna (new)

Lilianna Gumberidze | 5 comments Alex, you are welcome anytime. :)
So, I was reading Dracula a couple months ago, and i definitly loved it. But, it's not same as Frankenstein.
Marry Shalley (Am I spelling it correct? haha) made a modern Prometheus. So, I think it's a little diffrent story right? Dracula is more bloody, and like a detective a little bit, and Frankenstein is pure philosophy sometimes. Don't you think?

message 34: by Bradley (new)

Bradley Poage Great blog Alex. I really enjoyed it! I know now where I will be looking for reviews on top horror movies!

message 35: by Alex (new)

Alex (alexwoeppel) | 17 comments Lilianna wrote: "Alex, you are welcome anytime. :)
Marry Shalley (Am I spelling it correct? haha) made a..."

Very interesting interpretation. That must be why I liked Dracula because it was more exciting, but that is not to take away from Frankenstein being a masterpiece.

message 36: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 461 comments Mmmm I'm writing down some of your movie suggestions ;) And also Dracula became one of my favorite book. Loved it. Frankenstein wasn't too realistic for me.