SCAREDY CAT discussion

Scary Movies > Any horror movie lovers out there??

Comments Showing 1-50 of 340 (340 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex (alexwoeppel) | 15 comments Hi guys! I'd love to connect with some horror movie lovers! I have a movie review blog called doom-generation.com. Check it out and let me know what you think.

I am also open to guest posts. So if any of you writers/aspiring writers like talking about movies, maybe we can work something out! Doesn't have to ONLY be horror... anything weird will do!

Movie Reviews for the Sublimely Weird
Doom-Generation.com

Alex

message 2: by Quentin (last edited Oct 30, 2014 08:16AM) (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 19 comments I think you'll find plenty of horror movie lovers, I'm one myself! I wouldn't mind writing about horror movies sometime, sounds fun!

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex (alexwoeppel) | 15 comments Quentin wrote: "I think you'll find plenty of horror movie lovers, I'm one myself! I wouldn't mind writing about horror movies sometime, sounds fun!"

Send me an email when you have some free time, Quentin.
admin@doom-generation.com
It is a lot of fun collaborating and sharing work!

message 4: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) I love horror movies, non-torture, though! my favorite is interview with the vampire but ...is it horror? the last one that scared me to death was the ring. and the last one I saw was the Ouija board movie. sadly, I told my husband what the movie would be about before we watched it. my prediction was spot on :(

message 5: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 258 comments I love horror movies! I'm just rewatching the old A nightmare on Elm street and I didn't remember it was soooo good!

message 6: by Alex (new)

Alex (alexwoeppel) | 15 comments Latasha wrote: "I love horror movies, non-torture, though! my favorite is interview with the vampire but ...is it horror? the last one that scared me to death was the ring. and the last one I saw was the Ouija boa..."

Interview with the Vampire is definitely one of my favorites too! It is definitely horror in my opionion. Not all horror needs to be gorey and bloody. Sometimes the atmospheric horror is the scariest kind of all.

message 7: by Alex (new)

Alex (alexwoeppel) | 15 comments Monica wrote: "I love horror movies! I'm just rewatching the old A nightmare on Elm street and I didn't remember it was soooo good!"

I;m not surprised you love horror movies Monica since you have such great taste in books! I've been rewatching a lot of the old horror movies from the 80's like Friday the 13th and Halloween franchise since its been on tv for Halloween. Edited versions are never as good though.

message 8: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 258 comments Thanks :). I just discovered that the cinema here is showing Night of the living dead from 1968, just for today. But I don't think I can go :(. I'll be rewatching Halloween too I think.

message 9: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 366 comments I love horror movies. Sadly I don't get to see most in a movie theater because my husband hates horror. I loved 13 Ghosts (the remake one). I also saw Mama. That one was scary.

message 10: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 258 comments Yes Mama, I forgot about that.I liked it a lot.

message 11: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) I liked mama as well.

message 12: by Aileen, #1 Scaredy Cat (new)

Aileen (agm009) | 921 comments Mod
Mama that's rightttt. Great call

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura Iverson (zenbreeze) Watching Odd thomas. I couldn't get through the first book over the annoying two-dimensional perfection of Stormy Llewellan [sp?] but the movie is pretty entertaining. I may be able to stomach the rest of the books ;-).

message 14: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (littlemissred3) | 804 comments I thought the ending of Mama was kind of stupid. Not a BAD movie, just didn't like the end.

message 15: by Kathy (last edited Nov 07, 2014 11:31AM) (new)

Kathy (littlemissred3) | 804 comments I'm with you Mika! All the gore, blood, and guts doesn't do much for me. Give me a good supernatural or paranormal horror over the rest. Like Amityville, Exorcist, and Something Wicked This Way Comes. Or It...which scared me because of Pennywise.

Speaking of "It", in one part of the movie two of them are talking about how people are so used to seeing and hearing about violence that they just turn their back and refuse to get involved, and how when she was a child, her neighbor saw her getting picked on and just turned his back and went in his house. It happens everyday now all over the world.

message 16: by Latasha (last edited Nov 07, 2014 11:32AM) (new)

Latasha (latasha513) I tend to agree Mika. I don't like seeing torture. some slashers are ok, though.

message 17: by Alex (new)

Alex (alexwoeppel) | 15 comments The Hidden Face is a fantastic foreign horror film that is scary without all the gore.
http://doom-generation.com/the-hidden...

message 18: by Evie (new)

Evie (webevie) | 1 comments I love horror movies - just wish some of them these days were really scary. AND I have the biggest problem getting people to to see them with me!

message 19: by Alex (new)

Alex (alexwoeppel) | 15 comments Evie wrote: "I love horror movies - just wish some of them these days were really scary. AND I have the biggest problem getting people to to see them with me!"

I have the same problem Evie! I have to force my boyfriend to watch horror movies with me. One of the scariest movies I've ever seen is the french film, Inside (2007). Also, REC, a spanish film. I can't wait to see The Babadook.... that one looks sooo scary!!!

message 20: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (littlemissred3) | 804 comments I love movies like Joyride, Vacancy, and Psycho, scary movies. I've watched Rest Stop several times, and I don't do rest stops now unless there's at least five cars there. lol

message 21: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 258 comments Rest stop? Never heard of it. You should check out Coming soon, it's a Thai movie. And I loved Dread, it's more psychological though.

message 22: by Aileen, #1 Scaredy Cat (new)

Helloooo Wrong Turn

message 23: by Alex (new)

Alex (alexwoeppel) | 15 comments Monica wrote: "Rest stop? Never heard of it. You should check out Coming soon, it's a Thai movie. And I loved Dread, it's more psychological though."

I forgot about Dread. That was a really interesting movie. I need to watch it again. I haven't seen nor heard of Coming Soon. Can't seem to find it on IMDb though. Do you have more info?

message 24: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 258 comments Mmmm I was able to find it only in original language with subtitles. This is the trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAR3W...

message 25: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 258 comments Maybe it gives too much out though

message 26: by Alex (new)

Alex (alexwoeppel) | 15 comments Monica wrote: "Maybe it gives too much out though"

Looks good!

message 27: by Kathy (last edited Nov 14, 2014 06:07PM) (new)

Kathy (littlemissred3) | 804 comments Rest Stop is a really good movie that I've seen several times. This is the trailer.Rest Stop

message 28: by Angela (new)

Angela Crawford | 120 comments Kathy wrote: "Rest Stop is a really good movie that I've seen several times. This is the trailer.Rest Stop"

Rest Stop scared the crape out of me! I saw it when it first came out and I still think about it every time we travel. Lol.

message 29: by Aileen, #1 Scaredy Cat (new)

I don't think I've seen this movie. I'm going to watch this tonight, thanks

message 30: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 258 comments I'm going to watch it as soon as possible too.

message 31: by Eric, The Crypt Keeper (new)

Eric Layton (vtel57) | 697 comments Mod
I caught some bug a day or so ago, so I was up all night with my low-grade fever and my sore throat. I stumbled upon a pretty creepy movie just as it was starting.

It was called Darkness . Not bad. Not bad at all.

message 32: by Robert (new)

Robert Roberts (goodreadscomrobertroberts) Eric, sorry to hear about your infestation. Hope your feeling better.

message 33: by Aileen, #1 Scaredy Cat (new)

Eric, so sorry to hear about the bug (infestation lol) feel better real soon

message 34: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 258 comments I watched Rest Stop but I was a little confused by the ending..? Thoughts?

message 35: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (littlemissred3) | 804 comments The ending of Rest Stop as far as the man in the truck and the people in the rv were confusing to me also. There IS a Rest Stop Two (this is the trailer Rest Stop 2: Don't Look Back

message 36: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 258 comments I will check it out. I liked Rest Stop, but sometimes this kind of endings leave me wondering a lot and I don't enjoy the movie as I could.

message 37: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) I have a hard time finding horror films I like. Fiction just seems to be a far superior medium for horror.

I don't watch slasher movies, in fact I have never watched a single installment of the Friday the 13th franchise. Blood and guts and violence have their place. I thoroughly enjoy HBO's Game of Thrones; someone is always being decapitated, or having limbs (or other things.......I have never seen a show with so many eunuchs in my life!)chopped off, and I find it all entertaining. In S4 of the Sopranos, I can't get enough of the scene where Tony beats Ralphie to death......I love a good bloody revenge fantasy. Blood-n-guts just isn't scary.

Likewise aliens, most monsters and anything to do with demonic possession. For instance, The Conjuring started out great and I was loving the film until it changed from a haunted house movie to a demonic possession flick. I was doing great until this dialog came up: "Your children aren't baptized, this makes it more difficult".......then I got up and went to work on a project and sort of half watched until the end.

I love haunted house movies, but that is probably due to my lifelong fascination with old houses. I absolutely adored the first season of American Horror Story; the house was thoroughly amazing and desirable in every way. I watched a few episodes of the second season and gave up on the show; without a fabulous house to obsess over the series lacked that compelling need to watch.

As hard as it must be to write horror fiction, I think the challenge is multiplied in film form. It is easy for a reader to come up with an image that is most frightening to them, and to maintain the suspension of disbelief, than for a film maker to do so successfully with the visuals provided.

Aside from my Halloweek Pumpkin Carving Film Fest I rarely watch them.

On a side note, this week I scored a DVD of Rosemary's Baby for $5. Although this movie hasn't scared me in years, it is a masterpiece of film making. I just watch it for fantasy reasons (being a homemaker living in a delicious, huge apartment overlooking Central Park.............sooooooooooooooo different from my own personal young-person-starving-in-new-york, can-only-afford-a-studio-in-jersey, work-every-minute-to-pay-the-bills-with-no-money-left-over-to-buy-any-of-the-tempting-luxuries-on-display experience).

In spite of the goofiness of the original Wicker Man it is a favorite as well. I just find something so eternally gratifying in pagans running amok and sacrificing people. Must be part of my love for revenge fantasies.

message 38: by Aileen, #1 Scaredy Cat (new)

Revenge, how sweet it is. One of my favorite 'revenge' authors is Sidney Sheldon. Love revenge books.

message 39: by Robert (new)

Robert Roberts (goodreadscomrobertroberts) One movie which I guess you would call a horror/thriller which is never mentioned was FATAL ATTRACTION. I thought is was scary as heck. Probably because it was so real to life.

message 40: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (littlemissred3) | 804 comments I think FATAL ATTRACTION scared most of the men who saw it! LOL

Stephen King's "It" scared the crap out of me as well as "The Shining"

message 41: by Aileen, #1 Scaredy Cat (new)

Fatal attraction was great. Loved it.

message 42: by Catherine (new)

Catherine McClelland (rugbydeprofundis) | 5 comments I love a good horror movie but I find so many of the so-called horror movies enormously funny. Some I find particularly funny are: Rosemary's Baby, The Exorcist, What Lies Beneath. Now a really scary horror movie to me was the old Nosferatu.

message 43: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (littlemissred3) | 804 comments Has anyone seen "The Children"? The Children Really creepy movie!

message 44: by Casey, The Executioner (new)

Casey Gallagher (kcgallagher) | 506 comments Mod
I really liked Abraham Lincoln Vampire Killer! I love the way the author tweeked real history just enough to make you say "OMG That could have really happened!" It's just so well built into the timeline.

message 45: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (littlemissred3) | 804 comments It started out a little slow, but it turned out to be a good movie for me also KC! I could probably watch it again.

message 46: by Kate (new)

Kate (Katefrets) | 8 comments Love horror movies. I think my favorite (relatively) recent one was Orphanage but I ADORE Vincent Price/Boris Karloff/Bela Lugosi films. It's so cool to see the horror origins. Plus they rarely make you lose sleep.

message 47: by Casey, The Executioner (new)

Casey Gallagher (kcgallagher) | 506 comments Mod
It's funny that I have never lost sleep over a horror movie, but every time I watch the walking Dead I'm guaranteed to dream about it all. Maybe it's just the prepper in me...lol

message 48: by Kate (new)

Kate (Katefrets) | 8 comments I think the only two I have so far were The Orphanage and Paranormal Activity (the first one). It's been years since I had a proper nightmare about one, though.

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 14 comments The last horror movie I saw in the theater was Annabelle and it sure scared me! It also surprised me with the ending, which is hard to do!

message 50: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 14 comments The last horror movie I saw in the theater was Annabelle and it sure scared me! It also surprised me with the ending, which is hard to do!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7