Supernatural Fiction of the 70s & 80s discussion

Group Read Discussions > The Other by Thomas Tryon

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chad (new)

Chad Lorion (goodreadscomcmichaellorion) | 92 comments Mod
Here we go! November is two days away, and The Other by Thomas Tryon is our group read book. I'm going to the library today or tomorrow to pick up their copy. Looking forward to this as The Other is a book I've wanted to read for quite a while. Who else is joining in the group read?

message 2: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 46 comments I'm in! Got my copy on my bedside table. :)

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom | 35 comments I'm gonna try to find a copy. My library doesn't have it! First time that has happened. I read it so many years ago, i am interested to see if my memory held.

message 4: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 46 comments In the last 2 days I had 12 hours on a plane and 15 hours in a hotel room. Needless to say, I finished the book. Has anyone else started it?

The opening chapter threw me a bit. I kept trying to figure out who was narrating. At first (view spoiler)

message 5: by Chad (new)

Did not get the library as planned last week, hopefully this morning so I can start reading.

12 hours on a plane? Where did you go??

message 6: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 46 comments C. wrote: "Did not get the library as planned last week, hopefully this morning so I can start reading.

12 hours on a plane? Where did you go??"

I went to Arctic Bay, Nunavut and back. I work for a northern airline. We fly to all the communities in the Canadian arctic.

message 7: by Chad (new)

Ah. I see.

message 8: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 46 comments I guess the library didn't pan out? It was a really creepy book that I think would benefit from a reread. Evil little kids are just so....disturbing. :)

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura Mitchell (laurarm) | 1 comments Hi, everyone. I just joined this group and was pleased to see that you are discussing a book I read--though I read it a long time ago. I can't remember details, but I do remember feeling very chilled creeped out at several points in the book. I also remember liking the book very much. It stayed with me for a long time--one mark of a good book, I believe.

By the way, are all the books you read/discuss in this group on the dark side? I loved the old Twilight Zone series, along with programs like Outer Limits and Thriller and Night Gallery, but I think I liked some of the upbeat stories best. I love stories involving the paranormal, but not about demons or devils or whatever.

My own science fiction novel, The Reality Matrix Effect, started as a short story in a Twilight Zone kind of tale where something strange happens but is never really explained. When I decided to turn the story into a novel, I invented a plausible (at least I think it's plausible) pseudo-scientific explanation based on the Many Worlds Interpretation of quantum mechanics. (The Many Worlds Interpretation is real science, not science fiction, but it's so strange that some physicists don't accept it.)

More recently, my second book, Detours and Reminiscenses, went live on Amazon/Kindle books. Detours is a collection of Twilight Zone-style short stories that I wrote in the 1980s along with some of my memories about circumstances around each story. Editors of the Twilight Zone magazine held the manuscript for one of the stories, "House Secret," intending to publish it when the time was right. Unfortunately for me, the magazine went under before that could happen.

I hope members of this group might be interested in one or both of these books, and if this is the wrong thread to use for this kind of message, I apologize.