Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Peter Pan
This topic is about Peter Pan
New School Classics- 1900-1999 > Peter Pan - Introduction/General Discussion - NO SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (last edited Oct 30, 2014 07:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christine | 1217 comments Welcome to our discussion of our group read for Peter Pan! This thread is for general discussion of the book only. Please DO NOT post spoilers in this thread!

If you are having trouble locating a copy of the book, you can download one for free from several sources including: Amazon Kindle, Project Gutenberg, and LibriVox (audiobook).

A thread for discussion of the many film and television adaptations of Peter Pan can be found here - beware, you may encounter spoilers!

Melanti | 2384 comments Peter Pan is a fun book. It's quite a bit darker than the Disney version (of course) but fairly similar to the play.

Christine | 1217 comments I have never seen the play, although I want to now after reading the book! Being very familiar with the Disney film version, I was surprised at some of the darker details.

Melanti | 2384 comments Nearly everything Disney touches - especially the animated stuff - gets turned into cotton candy.

message 5: by Tytti (new) - added it

Tytti | 1092 comments Melanti wrote: "Nearly everything Disney touches - especially the animated stuff - gets turned into cotton candy."

I can't remember have I ever seen a Disney movie, at least from start to finish. I have never really wanted to, either, probably because of that reason.

I'm not sure if I will read this book. I do have it in English and I am looking for some fantasy to read for our bookclub but it just doesn't really interest me.

Christine | 1217 comments I love Disney's animated films. I grew up with them, and then watched them with my own children. I finished the book a couple of nights ago, and actually pulled out our VHS copy of Disney's "Peter Pan" and watched it again with my two youngest kids and my husband! Good memories. :-)

message 7: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - added it

Katy (kathy_h) | 9559 comments Mod
Christine, I too love Disney -- but also have really enjoyed reading the original tales too. I do think I will join in the read -- got to balance out The Woman in White read.

Christine | 1217 comments Tytti wrote: "I'm not sure if I will read this book. I do have it in English and I am looking for some fantasy to read for our bookclub but it just doesn't really interest me. "

Honestly Tytti, if it hadn't been a group read selection I doubt if I would've ever read it either. However, I did find it to be an enjoyable and interesting read.

Philina | 1562 comments What exactly are we reading here? Just Peter & Wendy or also the Kensington Garden one?

I've read Peter & Wendy and was surprised that Once Upon A Time was actually closer to the orginal than the Disney film. I kind of really disliked Peter...

Christine | 1217 comments Phil wrote: "What exactly are we reading here? Just Peter & Wendy or also the Kensington Garden one?

I've read Peter & Wendy and was surprised that Once Upon A Time was actually closer to the orginal than the ..."

Peter & Wendy.

Philina | 1562 comments Then I'm perfectly fine! I've already read it last month!

@Mary: Me, too! Rumple is the best! It's incredible how Carlyle can distinguish Rumple from Gold by voice and movement. I think he's got the only character with a real difference between the Enchanted Forest and Storybrooke. The others are mostly the same in both worlds.

Philina | 1562 comments He was actually the reason why I tried out OUAT in the first place. I knew him from Stargate Universe where he did an equally amazing job. Then I started to watch more stuff done by him. One of his first bigger jobs was Hamish Macbeth, a cute Scottish crime show based on the books by MC Beaton (which I also recommend). Really good as well are Gunfire, Treason and Plot Part 2 in which he plays King James I of Scotland and England and Ballroom Dancing in which he plays a baker trying to get over the death of his wife.

message 13: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I'll probably join in. I have an audiobook copy narrated by Christopher Cazenove. (He played Ben Carrington in Dynasty and Masterpiece Theater fans will remember him as Charlie Haslemere in The Duchess of Duke Street).

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Christine wrote: "Welcome to our discussion of our group read for Peter Pan! This thread is for general discussion of the book only. Please DO NOT post spoilers in this thread!

If you are having trou..."

Thank you for posting the links to downloadable editions. I was having trouble finding the right one in Project Gutenberg.

message 15: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Nov 12, 2014 10:25AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments In the Disney movie, the Darlings seem more affluent that the author says that they are in the book.

Also, I can't get enough of Nana. Unfortunately (view spoiler)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Never land is rather boring.

When will Hook show up?

Wendy telling stories is boring to me but the boys like :(