Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Peter Pan
This topic is about Peter Pan
New School Classics- 1900-1999 > Peter Pan - SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Christine | 1216 comments This thread is for discussion of Peter Pan, including SPOILERS!

Pink | 6556 comments I read this book this evening and enjoyed it more than I expected to. I was really surprised how closely the film versions I've seen have stuck to the book, with only minimal changes. It's quite a nuts storyline really, but an incredibly memorable one. Hook wasn't as much of a character as I was expecting, but Wendy, Tinkerbell and the lost boys were all how I pictured. Peter was even more annoying!

message 3: by Christine (last edited Nov 08, 2014 04:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christine | 1216 comments The thing I enjoyed most about this book is the way the author really captured a childlike way of imagining and thinking about things. It was very amusing. Being familiar with some of the films but not with the book, I was surprised by the sections about the Darling parents - the father living in the dog kennel seemed pretty bizarre.

I was struck by the part when Hook is thinking about "good form", who is demonstrating it, what it really is, and agonizing about his failure to display it. What a very adult line of thinking. It struck a marked contrast against Peter Pan's youthful confident cockiness.

message 4: by ECH (new) - rated it 3 stars

ECH (_ech) This is real comfort food after a long day in academia. What I liked best about it was how I felt like a child again while I was reading it.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I was very disappointed in Hook. He was not all that interesting in this book. Hollywood treatments of this story have made hook more fun/interesting.

I like it that Tinkerbell has a potty mouth. To bad I can't know what she says.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I also really liked Nana and how Mr. Darling put himself "in the doghouse," and his social standing increased and because of it, he became a much sought-after party invitee. :)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) I just finished this. And I have to say: I didn't like it! I was even more annoyed at the only girl in the story being pictured as a small house wife with absolutely no sense of adventure or play. I was also shocked at the fact that people actually die in Neverland and absolutely NOBODY cares! They die, so what, and are forgotten. And there isn't one character who I really like.
I was really surprised, just now, to read that you all liked it!
Me, I'm just glad I finished it - now for a more pleasant book!

Christine | 1216 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) wrote: "I also really liked Nana and how Mr. Darling put himself "in the doghouse," and his social standing increased and because of it, he became a much sought-after party invitee. :)"

Andrea, that part was very strange but very funny!

message 9: by Aleta (new) - added it

Aleta | 106 comments @Elsbeth, I read this book some years back, after having watched almost every single Peter Pan adaptation there is and I have to say - don't even remember the book. It didn't leave much of an impression on me and the only thing I do remember is that it left me with a kind of 'meh..' feeling lol. So you're not alone in not liking it.

This has made me want to read it again though, just to see if I may get something different from it now.

Melanti | 2386 comments Elsbeth wrote: "I was also shocked at the fact that people actually die in Neverland and absolutely NOBODY cares! They die, so what, and are forgotten..."

I found that aspect to be pretty creepy. Also, what happens to the Lost Boys who get too old for their trunks? They just vanish! There's definitely some darker overtones to the story.

The gender stereotypes are problematic, I agree. There's been several adaptions that focus on how Wendy is portrayed. Jane Yolen's "Lost Girls" come to mind, as does S.J. Tucker's fun trilogy. If you like folk music, you might want to give it a try... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVChx...

Christine | 1216 comments Mary wrote: "Did anyone watch the live show last night? I didn't..."

I watched just a few minutes of it. I actually wasn't that impressed. I normally like Christopher Walken, but I did not care for him as Captain Hook.

Christine | 1216 comments Mary wrote: "I saw The Sound of Music which was done by the same people and it was horrible so I avoided Peter Pan. I like Christopher Walken too."

I didn't see last year's televised version of The Sound of Music, but I heard it was really bad. That's a shame - I think the idea of making an annual event of televising a theatrical production is excellent, but the execution has apparently been lacking. I hope they will keep trying and hopefully have a big success soon!

Catching up on Classics (and lots more!)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Peter Pan (other topics)