All About Books discussion

Upcoming Monthly Reads > November - what will you be reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Tell us what your reading plan is for November...

message 2: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments At the moment I only have one "definite" and that is Shirley - yes, the time has come at last!

message 4: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments I hope to get 2-4 pern books read, I'll be reading Patricia Cornwell's new release, I hope to finish off the last 4 Necroscope books by Brian Lumley.

Beyond that it'll just depend on what ILL's come in and books my friend can get from her library vs what else is on my TBR list and is available at the library during any given week.

message 6: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Gavin wrote: "I'll be reading:
The Goldfinch
Full Dark, No Stars
Wuthering Heights
Murder on the Orient Express
Mrs. Dalloway
[book:The Hours|..."

The Hours was really good! I hope you will enjoy it.

message 7: by Chrissie (last edited Oct 30, 2014 11:25PM) (new)

Chrissie Cathie, i adore Dostoyevsky and I find this his best book. I think if yo are going to like D's writing you have to enjoy COMPLICATED people. If you don't want such books, well then maybe D isn't for you.

I am trying to figure out what will let you enjoy the book.... Do you ever listen to books? IF so try Anthony Heald's narration. Sometimes it helps to read a review so you know what others are seeing when they read a book. Here is mine: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1.... Good luck. YES, I want so much that you will love the book. another thing you can do is look at some of D's quotes here at GR: https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/sear...

message 8: by Chrissie (last edited Oct 30, 2014 11:36PM) (new)

Chrissie Gavin, for me The Goldfinch was a pleasant surprise. That reminds me. I really should read The Little Friend; I have been told it is not a mystery but rather a character study. Mrs. Dalloway is good too.

message 9: by Chrissie (last edited Nov 29, 2014 11:42AM) (new)

Chrissie At this point all that I am sure to be reading are those that are on my Ipod:

Fay (Read-4 stars)
The Rush: America's Fevered Quest for Fortune, 1848-1853 (Read-3 stars)
Any Human Heart (Read-4 stars)
A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century (Read-3 stars)

also:
The Night I Danced with Rommel (Read - 3 stars)
Rainbow's End: A Memoir of Childhood, War and an African Farm (Read-4 stars)
Coco Chanel: An Intimate Life (Read - 4 stars)
Of Human Bondage (Read - 2 stars)
Bertie: A Life of Edward VII (3 stars 1 star)

Will I be able to read all of these? I can't believe it - as of 27/11 I'm on my last book, so I have to fill up my Ipod. Quite a few were very good books!

Having read all of the above I will now start The Little Friend and will finish it next month.

message 10: by LauraT (last edited Oct 31, 2014 02:57AM) (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13416 comments Mod
As usual I plan thngs and life "displan" my planns!!!
Up to now I think I'l be reading:
Mary  Norton Bedknob and Broomstick
Emile Zola, Pot-Bouille
Lilian Jakson Braun Il gatto che amava Brahams
Anjali Banerjee Gatti, merletti e chicchi di caffe
Maha Akhtar Miele amaro e mandorle dolci
Anna Premoli Ti prego lasciati odiare
Kete Morton The House at Riverton
Nina George Una piccola libreria a Parigi
MC Beaton  Agatha Raisin and the Love from Hell
Oliver Pötzsch  The Hangman's Daughter
Dorothy Dunnett, Checkmate

message 11: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments LauraT wrote: "As usual I plan thngs and life "displan" my planns!!!
Up to now I think I'l be reading:
Mary  Norton Bedknob and Broomstick
Emile Zola, Pot-Bouille
Lilian Jakson B..."

Two books with cats! I must check them our for my challenge.

message 12: by LauraT (new)

It's because of another challenge I'm doing: this month I have to read two books with animals. So ... cats!!!

message 13: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Bradshaw (llawryf) | 658 comments I need to finish up The Lightkeeper's Wife which was an ILL and is already overdue. Working on Ulysses and And Ladies of the Club for group reads. I've started Longbourn for the recommendation swap, and I must work in Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail for my f2f book club. So I have my work cut out for me.

message 14: by Jenny (last edited Oct 31, 2014 02:53PM) (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments My November so far:

Pot-Bouille by Zola
The Infatuations by Javier Marías
Blaise Pascal - Biographie eine Genies by Jacques Attali
Owls Do Cry by Janet Frame
The Postman: Il Postino by Antonio Skármeta
November Boughs by Walt Whitman

and finish:
Pensées by Pascal
Inferno by Dante Alighieri

message 15: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Oh and: Suspended Sentences: Three Novellas by this years Nobel Prize laureate Patrick Modiano

message 16: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 1410 comments Continuing Ulysses, group read. Finishing This Is Not the End of the Book. I will be reading The Weird Sisters for my f2f book club and Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe for a group read. I've always loved the name of that book, hope I like the story as much as the title! And then we will see!

message 17: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments Evelyn wrote: "Continuing Ulysses, group read. Finishing This Is Not the End of the Book. I will be reading The Weird Sisters for my f2f book club and [book:Fried Gree..."

Have you ever seen the FGT..... film, Evelyn? I think it's great.

message 18: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 1410 comments I did Gill, I thought it was great as well!

message 19: by Greg (last edited Oct 31, 2014 07:21PM) (new)

Greg | 7684 comments Mod
Jenny wrote: "My November so far:

Pot-Bouille by Zola
The Infatuations by Javier Marías
Blaise Pascal - Biographie eine Genies by Jacques Attali
ook:Owls Do Cr..."

Jenny, have you read anything else by Janet Frame? I've read portions of The Pocket Mirror: Poems, and I liked what I read. Also the filmmaker Jane Campion made an interesting biographical movie about Frame called Angel at my Table. Looking forward to hearing what you think about Owls Do Cry - it looks good!

message 20: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Jenny I have been considering both Towards Another Summer and Owls Do Cry. Having trouble choosing......

message 21: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Greg it is my very first book by her but I had wanted to try her for quite a while, I will try to find the movie you are talking about, it is hard to go wrong with a Jane Campion film.

@Chrissie: I had both Towards Another Summer and Owls Do Cry on my list, but then decided for Owls (I think my love for owls might have been the only deciding element here ;))

message 22: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11973 comments Mod
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
You're the One That I Want by Giovanna Fletcher

message 24: by Pat (new)

Pat (patb37) Laurel wrote: "I need to finish up The Lightkeeper's Wife which was an ILL and is already overdue. Working on Ulysses and And Ladies of the Club for group reads. I've s..."

Laurel -
I read And Ladies of the Club when it came out many years ago. I thought it was quite good. I will be interested to hear what you think of it.

message 25: by Pat (last edited Nov 01, 2014 07:26AM) (new)

Pat (patb37) I plan on finishing The Way We Live Now.
Gone Girl is next.

message 26: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceypb) | 1192 comments I plan on reading Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier and Revolution by Russell Brand also my book swap when it arrives. :)

message 27: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I'll be doing more ebook read for review requests and getting some ebooks read that I got for free on my tablet but have not read yet so that's my plan between now and December with The Name of the wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

message 28: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Another book I will be reading is The Night I Danced with Rommel.

message 29: by Erica (new)

Erica | 867 comments I'll be finishing up the short story collection Unaccustomed Earth and novel Queen of the South and then will read Eleanor and Park for my recommendation swap.

message 30: by Paula (new)

Paula | 25 comments First of all, I'll try to finish Open Veins of Latin America: Five Centuries of the Pillage of a Continent. It is taking me more than what I expected.
I'm starting in a day or two Authentic Happiness: Using the New Positive Psychology to Realize Your Potential for Lasting Fulfillment for a challenge.
And I'll try my best to read, start reading at least, It and Storm of the Century: An Original Screenplay. This last one for a challenge.
I will continue with the Sherlock Holmes series, as well.

message 31: by LauraT (new)

Jenny wrote: "and finish:
Pensées by Pascal
Inferno by Dante Alighieri "

You've finished Dante? You've been really good; I'm stuck with Ulisse!!!

message 32: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Not yet, but I want to finish it before going away for the winter. Are we going to tackle Purgatorio in 2015?

message 33: by LauraT (new)

Definitly! I'll finish l'Inferno by December

message 34: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Great!

message 35: by Petra (new)

Petra | 3260 comments I will also be continuing with Ulysses. I like the pacing we decided on for the group read and the discussion is fun and stimulating.

I will also be finishing The Haunting of Hill House and continuing with Dombey and Son.
Once I finish Hill House, I'll go back and finish The Mathematician's Shiva, which is an interesting book but a girl can only juggle so many books at one time and this one had to be put aside and wait for a space.

message 36: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 653 comments Chrissie wrote: "Cathie, i adore Dostoyevsky and I find this his best book. I think if yo are going to like D's writing you have to enjoy COMPLICATED people. If you don't want such books, well then maybe D isn't fo..."

Oh I do want to read D! I'm just behind on some other reads and then I had books I wanted to read for the Halloween season. So trying is actually starting reading it! :)

message 37: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Cathie wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "Cathie, i adore Dostoyevsky and I find this his best book. I think if yo are going to like D's writing you have to enjoy COMPLICATED people. If you don't want such books, well then..."

Now I understand; you just didn't have the time. Well now you can sit back and enjoy reading it.

message 38: by Leslie (last edited Nov 27, 2014 04:04PM) (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Now that is actually November, I have finally come up with a list...

I am continuing from October:
Will Grayson Will Grayson by John Green & David Levithan (audiobook) and finished yesterday There's Trouble Brewing by Nicholas Blake
---------------------------------
short stories: Rootabaga Stories by Carl Sandburg
poetry: Selected Poems: Expanded Edition by Robert Lowell
plays: The Middle-class Gentleman by Molière & Trial by Jury by Gilbert & Sullivan (and perhaps another G & S or two)
Shirley by Charlotte Brönte (readalong)
The Lighthouse by P.D. James (English Mysteries BoTM)
Checkmate by Dorothy Dunnett (Lymond series readalong)
The Odd Women by George Gissing (Librivox audiobook)
January Exposure by Sunny Benson (Around the USA mystery)

maybe I will get to these books from continuing series:
On Her Majesty's Secret Service by Ian Fleming
The Voice of the Violin by Andrea Camilleri
Death on an Autumn River by I.J. Parker
The Daffodil Affair by Michael Innes

message 40: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Oh Pink, that is smart to cross off what you read as you read them. Is that how you do it?

message 41: by Pink (new)

Pink Yep, helps me keep track of things and see how I'm getting on.

message 42: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Which Greek poets Ian?

message 43: by Pink (new)

Pink Ian, which Hemingway do you plan on reading?

message 44: by Colleen (last edited Nov 19, 2014 06:36PM) (new)

Colleen  | 349 comments Just finished At the Mountains of Madness. Working on Breathing Room: Open Your Heart by Decluttering Your Home & 10-Minute Clutter Control: Easy Feng Shui Tips for Getting Organized. Just started Cinder and will also get to Me Before You. Pressures on! It's almost the end of the year! Lots of books to get to! I think I'll be able to knock a couple more out....

message 45: by Greg (last edited Nov 05, 2014 07:37PM) (new)

Greg | 7684 comments Mod
Ian, I just finished re-reading The Old Man and the Sea. Some others have said they found it boring, but I thought it was absolutely electrifying, an almost perfect book! The simplicity of the characters's lives fits perfectly with his writing style and almost elevates the whole book to the level of myth. Definitely confirmed as my favorite Hemingway, and I can count the number of times I've fished on one hand; so I don't have a natural connection to the material.

message 46: by Chrissie (last edited Nov 05, 2014 10:28PM) (new)

Chrissie Ian wrote: "Pink - at the moment I'm reading The Sun Also Rises then plan on making my way through A Farewell to Arms, For Whom the Bell Tolls, [book:To Have and Have Not|..."

The Sun Also Rises followed by Farewell to Arms are my favorites by Hemingway. For Whom the Bell Tolls, I didn't like at all. Maybe a biography next?

message 47: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Pink wrote: "Yep, helps me keep track of things and see how I'm getting on."

I should do that. Good idea.

message 48: by Chrissie (last edited Nov 05, 2014 10:53PM) (new)

Chrissie Ian, I have read The Young Hemingway and Hemingway: The Paris Years by Reynolds. There are more in the series, but they were not available and I wasn't thrilled with the author. I would have preferred one book because there is a lot of repetition when your read a series. I chose these b/c that is all I could get my hands on. If I could I would read Hemingway. I have been told it is good, but I cannot promise anything since I have not read it.

message 49: by Pink (new)

Pink Ian, I just finished The Sun Also Rises and really enjoyed it. Previously I've read A Farewell to Arms which I liked even more and A Moveable Feast which I really didn't enjoy, though I wonder if that's because it wasn't his own edited version, being published after his death. I'd really like to tackle For Whom the Bell Tolls and The Old Man and the Sea at some point too.

message 50: by Pink (new)

Pink Chrissie, have you read A Moveable Feast? I mentioned above not liking it so much, mostly because of how the chapters were put together, but I did find it very similar to The Sun Also Rises with the Paris elements, so you might enjoy?

« previous 1