Inspirational Quotes from Books discussion

Encouragement

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Russell (new)

Russell Kyle | 7 comments Mod
“A mind at peace, a mind centered and not focused on harming others, is stronger than any physical force in the universe.” - Wayne Dyer

message 2: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Siefkas (heidisiefkas) | 2 comments "I set my GPS on happiness." - Heidi Siefkas When All Balls Drop The Upside of Losing Everything by Heidi Siefkas

message 3: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Siefkas (heidisiefkas) | 2 comments Alicia wrote: ""If you're going through Hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill"

One of my favorite quotes of all time. Wise man!

message 4: by Russell (new)

"The fact that you woke up this morning is proof that this day has already been predetermined in your favor." - From the daily reflections section of 'Awakened Living: A practical guide to the spiritual life'

message 5: by Anna (last edited Mar 11, 2015 01:52PM) (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) The idea of this group is really good and it would be nice to see a quote coming through on a daily basis. I will recommend more people to join too.

There are thousands of good quotes that we might find inspirational and I hope you will agree that this one kicks you into doing something while you can:

‘I’ve heard that when you are near death, it’s not the things you have done that you regret but more often the things you’ve left undone.’

This is the theme of my book Hide in Time

It came to mind this morning when I heard that a friend has died - too young and without warning.

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery."

Mr Micawber's very good advice in David Copperfield by Charles Dickens.

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments Adventures are to the adventurous. They abound on every side, but only the chosen few have the courage to embrace them. And they will not come to you: you must go out to seek them. Then they meet you halfway, and rush into your arms, for they know your true lovers.

Miss Cayley's Adventures (available on Gutenberg)

message 8: by Anna (last edited Mar 18, 2015 09:22AM) (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) I am finding it difficult to find encouraging words in books. Perhaps I am reading the wrong ones!

I came across this one as a quotation from a book called 'Lives of the Philosophers'. I'm not sure if it was written by Socrates or someone else!

I think it is encouraging because it reminds us we don't need everything and therefore fits in with the topic heading.

On looking at a multitude of goods laid out for sale -

"How many things I can do without!"

Orinoco - I hope you can do better than that!!!!!

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments As DH is on a fixed income, I often find myself saying just that!! Or, to him, "Aren't you glad I'm low maintenance!" LOL

But there's a famous anonymous quote: Less is more.

message 10: by Anna (last edited Apr 05, 2015 02:22PM) (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) Encouragement: That death is not the end is surely an encouragement - whether you believe that your soul lives on or just that your influence lives on - or both!

Life is real! Life is earnest!
And the grave is not its goal;
Dust thou art, to dust returnest,
Was not spoken of the soul.
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, 1807 - 1882

Happy Easter!

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments You don't measure your own success against the size and volume of the effect you're having. You gauge it from the difference you make to the subject you're working on. At our age, you go for the small things and you do them as well as you can.

Colin Cotterill, Anarchy and Old Dogs

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments "Every piece of work goes through an ugly phase. The key is to work through it." -- Becka Krahula, One Zentangle A Day: A 6-Week Course in Creative Drawing for Relaxation, Inspiration, and Fun

I find this encouraging as I sometimes start feeling a bit overwhelmed when I've been working at a project, particularly if it's creative or something I've never tried before. But if you work through the "ugly phase" and then come back the next day, it suddenly looks wonderful, once you've gotten past the hard spot.

message 13: by Russell (new)

"Self-worth isn't something one achieves, it's a God given wholeness one realizes. ... You are more than enough, worth every breath." - 'Awakened Living' by Russ Kyle , now out on audio :) http://www.audible.com/pd/Self-Develo...

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments Experience is never limited, and it is never complete.
--Henry James

This could be debated, depending on context. But in a very real sense, our experience is often self-limited, and there is always the possibility of new and more, until our last breath has been exhaled.

Discuss.

message 16: by Anna (last edited Apr 26, 2015 08:12AM) (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) I think I could run with the second part being true, but I imagine that some people's experience may be limited by their circumstances. I'm thinking of, say, being born in North Korea. However, wherever we are we are often limited in possibilities, though as you say, Orinoco, there is the chance of new and more experiences for most of us. This is where books widen our horizons in a way that we might not be able to do so in reality. Hurrah for books.

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments Yes! We can self-limit, too, due to fear of failure or thinking we "could never do that." Often you don't know until you try! A friend of my mother's was known for saying, "Oh if so-and-such happens, I'll just die!" And yet we don't, do we? We go on living, we deal with things as they come up. This too is part of experience.

message 18: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey | 1 comments 'With action, wise words become powerful because they then begin to serve their purpose.'L.M.Robins

This is so true. This and many other inspiring quotes can be found in the following great little book (Wise Whispers):http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_n...

message 19: by Anna (last edited May 05, 2015 10:39AM) (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) I came across this little gem in another Goodreads thread. I'm not sure if it comes from a book but it says it by Sophocles - and he was a great writer:

“If we always helped one another, no one would need luck.” - Sophocles

So this is encouraging us to 'action'.

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments So is this one, Anna:

As time goes on, you'll understand. What lasts, lasts; what doesn't, doesn't. Time solves most things. And what time can't solve, you have to solve yourself. Haruki Murakami, Dance Dance Dance

message 21: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) Thanks for this encouragement, Orinoco.I'm allowing 'time' to solve the problem of my misplaced cheque book. I know it's around somewhere!

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments "God minds not much what like his angels be, so that they do His work proper. The shepherd's collie that runs home to warn the missus that her man has fallen down the rock is his angel sure enough, though he may be a mongrel of the very worst, with ears as flat as a spaniel."

Mary Webb: Precious Bane

I find this quote rather comforting as well as encouraging. We don't all have to be stars to be in God's show.

One wonders, however, what the character (Prue) had against spaniels, though.

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments The greatest freedom of all is the ability to disagree.

Sarah Dunant, Sacred Hearts

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments "It is always hard, understanding what is being gained in the moment at which something is also being taken away."

Sarah Dunant, Sacred Hearts

Yes, it is. And so often what we gain is so much better than what we are losing--and yet we cling.

message 25: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) I'm appreciating your quotes, Orinoco!

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments I'm glad to see so many people following but it would be nice if some of y'all would contribute. I'm workin' alone, here.

message 27: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) “How is your soul, Miss Mulberry?” Parson Raffles, seated opposite, peered over his spectacles and into her eyes as if to check she had one.
Xandra could not remember if she had ever considered her soul. Certainly no one else had ever showed concern for it. She hoped she had found an acceptable answer in, “My soul is silent.”
“Become acquainted with your soul, care for it, for it will outlast all you have.”

This is taken from

Hide in Time by Anna Faversham

A little old lady I knew used to ask me "How is your soul?" At first I felt like answering, "That's nothing to do with you!" (How awful, but I was only 18, and being peered at at that age is always worrying.) Then, as I grew used to it, I started to consider it.

So I have put this quotation in the 'Encouragement' thread because sometimes we can gently encourage others in the strangest of ways.

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments A little old lady I knew used to ask me "How is your soul?"
This made me smile today...reminded me of an elderly friend (alas, no longer with us) from Doncaster whose home when she was a small child was often visited by Smith Wigglesworth. He loved kids, and they loved him back! She would climb onto his lap and he would ask her in that deep voice of his:
"Are ye burnin'? Are ye burnin, lass?"

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Russell wrote: ""The fact that you woke up this morning is proof that this day has already been predetermined in your favor." - From the daily reflections section of 'Awakened Living: A practical guide to the spir..."

A very solemn and true quote! One we should remember daily...

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments A tree may be bent by harsh winds, but it is no less beautiful than the tree that grows in a sheltered nook, and often it bears the richer fruit.

Dorothy Gilman, The Tightrope Walker

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments Whether doing, suffering, or forbearing, you may do miracles by persevering.
Fanny Parkes, Begums, Thugs, and White Mughals: The Journals of Fanny Parkes

message 32: by Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) (last edited Feb 28, 2016 02:05AM) (new)

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments If you are not scared, then there is no merit in being brave.
--Kerry Greenwood, Death at Victoria Dock

And along those lines:

The brave man is not he who feels no fear,
For that were stupid and irrational;
But he, whose noble soul its fear subdues,
And bravely dares the danger nature shrinks from.

Joanna Baillie, from the play "Count Basil" (18thc)
Act III, scene 1, line 151
(sometimes wrongly attributed to Shakespeare)

Or, as a friend of mine once said, "It's OK to be scared. Just do it scared."

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments There is no road under heaven that can't be walked; even stones carry the footprints of insects.

Xinran, Miss Chopsticks

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments I'd say brave isn't mostly what people are, it's what they decide to be--and if there's no choice, then they can't very well decide any other, can they? You don't have to fret about it--you'll find you're brave enough whenever the time comes that you've got to be.

---No Way of Telling by Emma Smith

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments Every shadow is caused by brightness.

Mr. Jelly's Business