♥ Nothing Better Than Reading!! ♥ discussion

BR & BOTM Archives > BR 02 ~ Erika & Jenny; Start date: 1st November

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika (new)

Erika | 36 comments Hi Jenny!

message 2: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 2 comments Hi! Erika.. Sorry that I haven't noticed the thread. I'm new to the NBTR Buddy read system.What are your reading preferences? I like fantasy,Historical Romance, Romance, YA, Mystery & Horror. What would you like to read?

message 3: by Erika (new)

Erika | 36 comments It's okay :) great that you found it now. I mostly read YA, fantasy and scifi. I don't know yet which book I'd like to read. Do you have any book in your mind? :)

message 4: by Jenny (last edited Nov 04, 2014 02:00AM) (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 2 comments Yes,I've got a few books in my mind that I need to catch up with:
1. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty -Nominated for best in Fiction 2014.
2. Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour -YA
3. We Were Liars by E. Lockhart -Nominated for best in YA 2014
4. Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson -Nominated for best in YA 2014
5. The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey -Nominated for best in Horror 2014.
6. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell -A coming-of-age tale of fan fiction, family and first love.(Given 5 stars by a lot)
7. Life After Life by Kate Atkinson -2013 Fiction Winner.
8. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green -2012 YA Winner

message 5: by Erika (new)

Erika | 36 comments Hey I've wanted to read Fangirl for really long time :D Could we read it? :)

message 6: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 2 comments Sure! When should we start it?

message 7: by Erika (new)

Erika | 36 comments I could start today

message 8: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 2 comments I'm currently reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) by J.K. Rowling . Can we start by,say..6th? (Don't worry..We've got the whole month! And if we finish early, we could read another one from the list which you find interesting!)Or you can start today and I'll join you on 6th.How does that sound? You can spoiler the comments throughout the way.

message 9: by Erika (new)

Erika | 36 comments That's fine if start on 6th :) I can read something else before that

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 2 comments Oh! Thanks.. :)

message 11: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 2 comments Thanks,Shinjini!

message 12: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 2 comments Erika, I'm going to start!

message 13: by Erika (new)

Erika | 36 comments Okay :) I'm really busy today so I'll start reading it in the evening

message 14: by Jenny (last edited Nov 06, 2014 02:54AM) (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 2 comments So far so..good I love College stories, especially...And Dorm based stories..I think the boy and Cath are gonna hook up.

message 15: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 2 comments This book lacks flow..Especially, the dialogues are hitched-don't you think?I think it's going to be a problem..

message 16: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 2 comments I wonder if you like living in Hostels. Everybody seems to point out the advantages of dorms. But there are a few like me who can't stand hostels-The noise, the intruders into privacy & better the roommates we get be treatable.

message 17: by Jenny (last edited Nov 06, 2014 02:40AM) (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 2 comments This co-ed hostel seems amazing!How much bad experiences I have had with hostels, I wonder if I was in a life like Cath's(But without a sister..)

message 18: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 2 comments My sister is in a hostel and she seems to enjoy every moment of it!

message 19: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 2 comments Fanfixx Account? So the story is starting already..

message 20: by Meera (new)

Meera | 4365 comments Which book?

message 21: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 2 comments Simone Snow series.

message 22: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 2 comments We're reading Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

message 23: by Meera (new)

Meera | 4365 comments Oh Fangirl...we did E&P last month...:-):-)

message 24: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 2 comments E&P,Meera?

message 25: by Meera (new)

Meera | 4365 comments Eleanor and Park by Rowell !

message 26: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 2 comments How was it?

message 27: by Meera (new)

Meera | 4365 comments it was fun to read..3 or 4 star fun...:-):-)

message 28: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 2 comments I'm amazed! All these years of GRing...I didn't find out about E&P!I mean..This is just my type of book!(As Fangirl is)

message 29: by Meera (new)

Meera | 4365 comments Haha.....sometimes you have to meet the right person who ll point to a single right thing..:-P:-P

was kidding....glad to have jumped into this thread.....Me and Ishi have a thread of our own ....do come for tea once in a while :-):-)

message 30: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 2 comments Which tea do you serve there? You see, I'm on Diet-can only have Green tea-Andarwala snan..:p

message 31: by Meera (new)

Meera | 4365 comments Haha...u ll be put on special mineral water then :-P

Not even milk and milk products?

message 32: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 2 comments I was kidding..*winks* But do put me on mineral water..:p

message 33: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 2 comments 10%~ I don't think people will wag after a person who is not so friendly and stubbornly don't want friends.

message 34: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 2 comments 19/160-That's why sisters are for-To comfort each other,to say that,"It's Okay, You have me" in the worst circumstances..

message 35: by Meera (new)

Meera | 4365 comments Hmm..u guys shud update ur book title along with ur BR name title....or else hoppers like me will get confused..:-):-)

message 36: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 2 comments 26/160-"Cath almost said yes.Instead she shook her head." Why do you think Cath shook her head? She could have gone with Reagan and Levi to the Muggsy's. Something pulled her back.What might be it?(I remember having the same situation where I had to refuse going out with friends just because I was afraid of getting out of my comfort zone. But I just don't feel it right in Cath's situation.")

message 37: by Erika (new)

Erika | 36 comments I think she didn't go because she just rather wanted to write her fan fiction than hang out with people. And probably she didn't like drinking alcohol :D

message 38: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 2 comments Wowzy! After a long time..

message 39: by Erika (new)

Erika | 36 comments What?? :D

message 40: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 2 comments I was saying that you are here after a long time..

message 41: by Erika (new)

Erika | 36 comments Oh sorry I kinda forgot to come here and I had lot's of school work :) I usually get an email when someone comments but for some reason not this time :/ but I promise to be more active now :)

message 42: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 2 comments I see..it's okay,Erika..Give more importance to your school work, okay?

message 43: by Erika (new)

Erika | 36 comments Okay :)

message 44: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 2 comments 89/160-

"Do you think Dad let it? Do you think he chose to fall apart when she left?" "Yes!" Wren was shouting now."And I think he keeps choosing. I think you both do.You'd rather be broken than move on"

I think medicine deals with healing the broken mind and Religion deals with moving on. I've heard a lot by Religious persons that,being broken is a state of mind and not an illness. It tells us to forgive, forget and move on. But what is the baseline? Why does some people choose to move on(maybe they are stronger) and some depends on medicine? Why does sad persons choose to be broken than move on, even if everyone think that, moving on is better? Why can't everyone just forget,forgive and move on?

That'd indeed make world a better place!

message 45: by Erika (new)

Erika | 36 comments I agree with you. It would be easier for everyone if people just moved on and didn't think about the past. I don't know why it is so difficult to stop worrying

message 46: by Erika (new)

Erika | 36 comments Okay I am finished :) are you?

message 47: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 2 comments We had severe monsoon here in Kerela,and with the roadworks(they are digging up and breaking the optical fiber internet cables with laterite soil) got cut off from internet since 12/11. I finished the book on Nov 21st too! I'm posting my review:

At first, I thought...’it’s just my type of story-A type of story I have been waiting for, for a long long time-A story to be discovered just for me.’
I could relate to Cath in many ways, and 90% of her situations, (left that I couldn’t cope up with the nervousness offered by college hostel and I left. And it was not a co-ed dorm.)
After about 30%, the ‘freshness’ began to wear off, and I was ploughing through the story. It was interesting, with Levi and Nick the combined writing and all, but I couldn’t find myself, or, anything as a lesson from the story. And it started failing to comfort me even. At 50%, everything wore off, I couldn’t take it anymore and I started to fail. With a lot of pacing, between the book and that it was not stimulating me neither in sense of art nor intellectually, did I decide to go on in vain hope of finding something, anything that’d bring me back to the book. The book is full of dialogues. Hardly any matter. And I don’t enjoy dialogues-but I hope I’ll see something and start to enjoy it if I go on. This book is for 16 year olds and I’m 22-I can feel the difference. This was in short a boring book for me. But around 80%, the book began to pick up pace. I love the scenes with Cath and Levi.
It took me 17 days for me to finish! 17 Days! This means that the book was quite not captivating for me.
A Few thoughts:
1. "Thousand words of Simon. She’d made so much progress tonight, she was thinking about taking a break tomorrow to start her Fiction-Writing assignment—maybe she’d even finish it. It would be awesome to tell Levi she was done when he came home on Sunday."
I don't think the name 'Fangirl' suits the book. Yes, it revolves around Simon and Baz, but not even deeply enough to affect the name of the book. I think this story revolves around Cath and her life,(and Simon and But are only a small part of it, or maybe it's because the author couldn't establish the importance of Simon and Baz in Cath's life.)some title related to Cath and her life would have been more sensible.
2. She wrote a thousand words.
She wrote five hundred more.
I can't see why fanfic is important in this book. I mean, it doesn't even do anything,anything in this book!It doesn't make the book move if you know what I mean. why the fuss and why the name?
3. was thinking that next year we could room together. We could live in Pound, if you want; I don’t care.”
Cath stopped and turned to her sister. Wren kept walking for a second before she noticed and stopped, too.
“You want to be roommates?” Cath asked.
Wren was nervous. She shrugged. “Yeah. If you want to. If you’re not still mad about … everything.”
“I’m not mad,” Cath said. She remembered the day last summer when Wren told her she didn’t want to live together.
Everything is coming back again to the normal habit,the beginning. It would be like, Cath and Wren are in their home again. They could look out for each other.
4. “Are you going to snog the Humdrum—is that your plan? Because he’s eleven. And he looks just like you. That’s both vain and deviant, Snow, even for you.”
Only thing I can understand is that, simon fighting his 11 year old self could analogously mean people fighting their past.

And the ending was poor. It wasn’t looped. May be, it isn’t supposed to be looped. But I got a hunch that Rowell was in a hurry to finish the story. The story is INCOMPLETE! May be it’s supposed to end with the 8th book coming out. May be that’s the whole point of the book! But it didn’t feel that way. The lovey dovey stuff and Cath’s life may be meant as filler between the fanfic. For me, that was quite the opposite.
Anyway, a soft 3.5 stars from me.

message 48: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 2 comments How did you feel about the book? Maybe, you feel more connected with the character with your age approximately same, I think?

message 49: by Erika (new)

Erika | 36 comments Wow that is a long review, don't expect I can write that much :D but anyway I'm 16 and I'm also a fangirl so I found this book really good. Maybe because I could relate so much to the main character. Like me, she likes to write and read and she is not very social. But there were a couple of things I didn't like.
First, almost every book I've read has action or it is fantasy/scifi book but this was not. So it was boring at some points. Especially when the characters only spoke to each other.
Second, there could have been less that fanfiction. I understand it was a big part of Cath's life but still.
Third, the ending! Like you said it was really, really stupid. When I finished the book I was like okay, nice book but what happened to characters. Seriosly, why didn't the author give the story some fancy ending? Why did she leave it incomplete?
Still, I gave it 5 stars because I enjoyed the book a lot :)

message 50: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 2 comments I agree that it was boring at some points. And I've read some reviews and a lot other people have said the same thing. And the dialogues- Sometimes I lost the thread of the story just because of the long dialogues. The book was just okay for me. But I enjoyed some parts of the book a lot like the scenes with Cath and Levi, and-Cath and Wren.