Yoga Folks discussion

General discussions about yoga > Home Practice - what is your practice like?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nikiverse (new)

Nikiverse I have a really hard time doing yoga on my own (and I'm an instructor!).

Home practice people ... how long and what do you do? Do you follow a vid or make up your own thing?

message 2: by Iris (new)

Iris Occasionally I use video for my home practice but I really prefer audio only. 20 minute podcasts from yogadownload.com are my bread-and-butter. My home practice started after my studio sponsored a retreat weekend in 2011 and I've rarely missed a day since then. First thing every morning. If I can manage an extra session later in the day or evening, it's a bonus.

message 3: by Bernie (new)

Bernie Gourley (bgourley) | 3 comments Usually 1 hour-ish. I usually follow a balanced Hatha outline (standing asana, standing balances, arm balances, forward bends, back bends, twists, and inversions.) I often finish with pranayama (kapalbhati and nadi shoudhana.)I pick the specific asana as I go, and often add Power elements. (No video. I don't like any more noise or sound when I practice than I have to be exposed to.)

Occasionally, I will do the Ashtanga Vinyasa Preliminary Series to make sure I don't become completely rusty with it.

message 4: by Saba (new)

Saba | 2 comments I don't do videos either, although there are quite a few on youtube that are good for some inspiration. I bought Yoga Sequencing: Designing Transformative Yoga Classes last year and add/delete asanas based on mood and how my body feels. My practice is usually 1hr but on my bad days I only go through Sun Salutation A+B for 15min. Ashtanga yoga is also something I dabble in ^_^

message 5: by Nikiverse (new)

Nikiverse Saba wrote: "I don't do videos either, although there are quite a few on youtube that are good for some inspiration. I bought Yoga Sequencing: Designing Transformative Yoga Classes last year and..."

I really need to buy that book. Is it mainly text or pictures?

message 6: by Monette (new)

Monette Chilson (monettechilson) | 66 comments Mod
No videos for me either. And I have never been good at doing my practice first thing in the morning, but I recently added a pranayama practice upon waking, and that is doable. It's actually a great time for pranayama because the body is the most relaxed it is all day. I try to do 30 minutes or so of asana in the evening on days that I haven't made it to a studio class. I don't have a routine, but I try to incorporate things I picked up on in a class & wanted to explore further. As Geeta Iyengar says, "The teacher gives you the clues, but you do the work." I form my work at home from the clues I pick up in class. Namaste all—love hearing about everyone's unique approaches to practice!

message 7: by Saba (new)

Saba | 2 comments Nikiverse wrote: "Saba wrote: "I don't do videos either, although there are quite a few on youtube that are good for some inspiration. I bought Yoga Sequencing: Designing Transformative Yoga Classes ..."

Mainly text, but there are a fair bit of images of asanas and sequences in pictures. I got my book from B&N, you should flip through it if you get a chance;)

message 8: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I haven't tried yoga podcasts yet. What a great idea. I don't mind audio but I too do not particularly like to follow yoga videos. My home practice thus far has been videos (that I don't do very often anymore) and books. Books are hard to follow at first because I have to keep looking to see what comes next until I learn the sequence by heart. That's why I feel audio would be great!

message 9: by Dorienyoga (new)

Dorienyoga | 2 comments I used to have a hard time doing home practice until I did a Teacher Training Course this summer. There I learned a really good basic sequence working on all the chakras and important parts of the body. Now I now very well how to stucture a class. I always start from this basic sequence and do some modifications according to what I want to practice or how I'm feeling. Now I do an hour of Yoga every day.

message 10: by Dani (new)

Dani  (yogidani) | 3 comments I started last January on my own with a couple apps on my phone. It wasn't until September when I took an actual class, which helped me to improve my home practice. At home, I still use the apps a lot, my favorite being Yoga Studio. It has 15-60 minute sessions in Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert levels. It was a great introduction for me, and I still enjoy the series. I enjoy doing some yoga challenges on Instagram for fun, and I try to do 30 minutes to an hour every day, whether a class or just at home. I'm looking into attending YTT in January, so we'll see how that goes.

message 11: by Meryl (new)

Meryl Landau (meryldavidslandau) | 807 comments Mod
Dani, you'll love Teachers training. What program are you going to be studying?

message 12: by Meryl (new)

Meryl Landau (meryldavidslandau) | 807 comments Mod
Dani, you'll love Teachers training. What program are you going to be studying?

message 13: by Dani (new)

Dani  (yogidani) | 3 comments I hope so! It looks like the YTT will be based on Ashtanga. There's a Kundalini YTT as well, but there's no date set for it. I'm not sure if I'm going to do the one in January or maybe wait for their spring YTT session. Turns out I'm going to be out of town for the very first weekend of training in January, so we'll see. Eventually, I will be certified!

message 14: by Tori (new)

Tori (ravenouspythagoras) I generally go for a long walk or roll out my fascia before a session and always warm up with asanas that open up my torso (hips, lower back). From there it just depends on my mood atm. Sometimes if I'm listening to an awesome playlist my practice will take on more of a vinyasa flow. Generally I just stick with hatha asanas and always try to do standing poses (like mountain) against a wall to help with proper posture.

message 15: by Müge (new)

Müge Kaltalıoğlu I have started Iyengar series. it is a 300 week commitment :) nowadaya it takes around 20 minutes. But it changes every week

message 16: by Ann (new)

Ann M. Noser (annmnoser) | 2 comments Once all the classes that I liked the most were cancelled at the local yoga facility (I STILL miss Pilates Yoga, so sad it's over, that class was fabulous), I joined Ekhart Yoga online.

I really like the time flexibility. I can do this at home. I can select classes by time length, body region focus, etc.

The only problem I have is that the dogs and cat seem to think I want them to join me. :)

message 17: by Becca (last edited Feb 13, 2015 04:56PM) (new)

Becca Chopra (beccachopra) | 26 comments Since I've starting writing more than teaching yoga now, I do my favorite sequence at home on my lanai every morning before breakfast - it takes from 30 minutes to an hour depending on how I vary my routine based on how I'm feeling (backache, etc.) and how long I meditate at the end. I find if I put it off, I'm always busy with something else during the day. Like promoting my Valentine's Day giveaway... I invite you all to download a free Kindle of The Chakra Diaries. Find out more at http://beccachopra.com/2015/02/12/ope...