Jim Goforth Horror Author discussion

General > Favourite genre

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim Goforth | 67 comments Mod
For readers and writers, what is your favourite genre to read and/or write?
Naturally, it is horror for me, but horror itself is a very broad genre with a whole bunch of subgenres and different styles. Personally I most enjoy working in splatterpunk, extreme, grindhouse type of things which though visceral and occasionally ultra-violent, have to have a good story as well.
I don't like to pigeonhole myself as such and I have been known to tone down the bloodsplatter to go in more subtle, even supernatural directions, but generally speaking, my characters often have a tendency to take things to an extreme level all by themselves.
What do people here like to read? What do they like to write?

message 2: by T.S. (new)

T.S. | 6 comments My favorite genre to write is Horror.

My favorite genre to read is Fantasy, with a dark slant, preferibly

message 3: by T.S. (new)

T.S. | 6 comments My favorite genre to write is Horror.

My favorite genre to read is Fantasy, with a dark slant, preferibly

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelnoe) | 7 comments Splatterpunk. I've attempted other genres but my home is in gore

message 5: by Jim (new)

Michael wrote: "Splatterpunk. I've attempted other genres but my home is in gore"

I know that feeling. Occasionally I can pull off something which doesn't result in a welter of blood and mayhem, but other times, regardless of any best intentions, somebody is getting hacked up...

message 6: by Jim (new)

T.S. wrote: "My favorite genre to write is Horror.

My favorite genre to read is Fantasy, with a dark slant, preferibly"

I don't mind reading a bit of the old dark fantasy now and then. My wife is a huge fantasy aficionado when it comes to reading preferences.

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelnoe) | 7 comments I managed to pull off a bizarro piece for an anthology. It was a blast but I don't think I could do it again

message 8: by Jim (new)

Michael wrote: "I managed to pull off a bizarro piece for an anthology. It was a blast but I don't think I could do it again"

I'm not so sure I'd be any good at bizarro. I'll probably give it a go one day, just to see how it pans out, but I imagine it will just turn into splatterzarro

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily (emmyd0731) | 4 comments Is splatterzarro a real genre? If not, Jim you could start it.

I'm with Michael; sometimes I'll stray from splatterpunk/splattergore to other fiction genres (and I like a lot of that too) but I always come back to and am happiest with horror stories. I'm always looking for original torture scenes.

message 10: by Jim (new)

Emily wrote: "Is splatterzarro a real genre? If not, Jim you could start it.

I'm with Michael; sometimes I'll stray from splatterpunk/splattergore to other fiction genres (and I like a lot of that too) but I al..."

Haha, no splatterzarro doesn't exist. Might be something to consider though.

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelnoe) | 7 comments We could create it. just take the brakes out and go balls out

message 12: by Jim (new)

Michael wrote: "We could create it. just take the brakes out and go balls out"

Sounds like a plan!

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelnoe) | 7 comments This is going to be fun

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez I enjoy writing things with atmosphere. it can be dark gritty and just demented work, or it can be light fluffy and cliché romance. I just enjoy the atmosphere of being able to give the reader the same emotions as the character, just by how the surroundings are written

message 15: by Jim (new)

Michael wrote: "I enjoy writing things with atmosphere. it can be dark gritty and just demented work, or it can be light fluffy and cliché romance. I just enjoy the atmosphere of being able to give the reader the ..."

My best attempts to write light and fluffy are just going to go skew-if and anything, but light and fluffy. Somehow something is going to emerge to completely obliterate that. I can blend romantic overtures and elements into what I'm writing, but it generally happens amidst mayhem and madness.

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Sandberg (lisasandberg) | 16 comments I am not a writer, I don't think I could do what you do.

I am a reader, of many genres, I mostly read horror and post apocalyptic, I also enjoy reading about real people and history, and occasionally an erotica romance book. Really, just about anything that is good. ;)

message 17: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez Jim wrote: "Michael wrote: "I enjoy writing things with atmosphere. it can be dark gritty and just demented work, or it can be light fluffy and cliché romance. I just enjoy the atmosphere of being able to give..."

Better than not having a diverse tale at all, though :)

message 18: by Jim (new)

Michael wrote: "Jim wrote: "Michael wrote: "I enjoy writing things with atmosphere. it can be dark gritty and just demented work, or it can be light fluffy and cliché romance. I just enjoy the atmosphere of being ..."

Too true :)

message 19: by Jim (new)

Lisa wrote: "I am not a writer, I don't think I could do what you do.

I am a reader, of many genres, I mostly read horror and post apocalyptic, I also enjoy reading about real people and history, and occasion..."

Writers like us, love readers like you Lisa! :)

message 20: by Tony (new)

Tony Sarrecchia (tonythescribe) | 3 comments I write mostly dark fantasy; sometimes it's horror leaning toward splatter, other times it's mystery with a supernatural bend. Though I am also working on a pulp-thriller set in a non-supernatural universe and scifi tale. I'm going to go with dark fantasy thrillers. Is that a thing?

I read most anything, though lately it's been emerging writers like Jim and Paul Mannering. I discovered Joe McKinney about a year ago and am really digging his zombie tales. I just downloaded Coyote by Chantal Noordeloos.

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Sandberg (lisasandberg) | 16 comments Jim wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I am not a writer, I don't think I could do what you do.

I am a reader, of many genres, I mostly read horror and post apocalyptic, I also enjoy reading about real people and history,..."

Thanks! :)

message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelnoe) | 7 comments I wonder if I could light and fluffy? It would be a challenge for sure

message 23: by Jim (new)

Michael wrote: "I wonder if I could light and fluffy? It would be a challenge for sure"

It would be interesting for sure.

message 24: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez If anything it'll be a good writing exercise

message 25: by William (new)

William Prystauk (williamdprystauk) | 1 comments I love to read anything as long as the story is solid, though I prefer mystery, drama, and horror.

Writing-wise, I love horror, thriller, and crime, and I especially enjoying writing horror screenplays.

message 26: by Jim (new)

William wrote: "I love to read anything as long as the story is solid, though I prefer mystery, drama, and horror.

Writing-wise, I love horror, thriller, and crime, and I especially enjoying writing horror screen..."

Sounds great to me. I haven't yet tried my hand at screenplays, but it is certainly something I want to have a go at in the future.

message 27: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (xovictoryxo) | 1 comments I love horror, psychological thrillers, mysteries, gothic, historical fiction, and occasional splatterpunk.
Inbetween the horrorfic reads I like to cleanse my mind body and soul lol- so I will read a historical fiction/romance or a classic. :)

message 28: by Jim (new)

Victoria wrote: "I love horror, psychological thrillers, mysteries, gothic, historical fiction, and occasional splatterpunk.
Inbetween the horrorfic reads I like to cleanse my mind body and soul lol- so I will rea..."

That is probably a great plan! :)

message 29: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez Victoria wrote: "I love horror, psychological thrillers, mysteries, gothic, historical fiction, and occasional splatterpunk.
Inbetween the horrorfic reads I like to cleanse my mind body and soul lol- so I will rea..."

That's exactly wgat I've been doing lol

message 30: by Dave (new)

Dave Pope | 2 comments Relating to reading I enjoy horror mainly in what I like to call the Laymon genre. I loved Richard Laymon's books and now I try to find authors that kind of carry that legacy forward. So far there have been some but the closest have been Steve Gerlach and to a lesser extent William Malmborg. Iain Rob Wright's "The Housemates" and "ASBO" to my mind are good and also close.
Writing wise I've written two novels but strangely they haven't conformed to what I love to read - one being the first in a fantasy trilogy and the other a novel about potential genocide in South Africa. I also haven't yet had the courage and I guess the know how to self publish with Amazon - I'll get there one day I suppose.

message 31: by Jim (new)

Dave wrote: "Relating to reading I enjoy horror mainly in what I like to call the Laymon genre. I loved Richard Laymon's books and now I try to find authors that kind of carry that legacy forward. So far there ..."

There are very few who can quite compare to how Laymon wrote splatterpunk. Brian Keene, Ed Lee and Bryan Smith are also comparable in many ways, but to me Laymon is still in a league of his own. He remains my biggest influence and inspiration in writing, though there are a whole lot of great newer horror writers starting to make an impact.
Have you ever considered getting them published with a press Dave, or is self publishing the route you're looking at taking?

message 32: by Dave (new)

Dave Pope | 2 comments Hi Jim, living in South Africa where we don't have many facilities or routes relating to the publishing world I am pretty naive relating to how to go about things. I did send the Fantasy novel to Penguin (South Africa) but they rejected it with the comment that the market here (local) is not fantasy hungry. I have heard that International Literary Agents are generally very busy as a rule and that the turnaround response time from them can be around a year or more - if they get back to you. Penguin (SA) took around 15 months to get back to me and that put me into a negative frame of mind.
The short of it is that if I knew how to go about getting published efficiently I would but it appears to be a very daunting exercise.

message 33: by Jim (new)

Dave wrote: "Hi Jim, living in South Africa where we don't have many facilities or routes relating to the publishing world I am pretty naive relating to how to go about things. I did send the Fantasy novel to P..."

I'll send you a message here with a few ideas on where to start.