Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

A Walk Among the Tombstones (Matthew Scudder, #10)
This topic is about A Walk Among the Tombstones
Archive - Group Reads > Walk Among the Tombstones, A - November 2014

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chava (new)

Chava | 2788 comments This is the discussion thread for A walk among the tombstones. Our moderator is Jenny, thanks Jenny!

message 2: by Leslie (last edited Nov 18, 2014 12:35PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leslie (lesmorecats) | 72 comments Something this series holds for us fans is the possibility of Matt getting "saved", yet if he were to find that redemption, would we continue to love him?

Linda | 1490 comments I wouldn't. I always find the "edgy" or "flawed" detective much more interesting and more realistic. This is the first Block I've read, with or without Matt Scudder, and I really like the characters and the style. I saw the movie and think it has its good points, but now that I've read the book I'm not really sure I would have cast Liam Neeson as Matt. He's too good looking for one thing. Not that Matt isn't, but you must admit most people don't look like dreamy Liam. I'd prefer someone with more character in his face. Not necessarily my choice, but someone more like Jake Gyllenhall. I want my detectives "gritty" in the way Matt comes across in the book.

Kenan's brother Peter in this one is more, to me, like people who are addicted. Not because of what he does in the end, but because he has so many relapses. It's hard to stay straight, even with AA and other support, and I think Peter shows that more clearly than Matt. By this book (and since I haven't read any before this one) Matt almost makes it seem too easy. No going into the bar, sweating and shaking as the waitress asks for his order, tipping the bottle up and finally deciding no. I mean, that IS melodramatic, but I think it's more normal. I can't say - I'm not an addict (unless you count biting fingernails). But my nephew was hooked on meth and he did rehab and AA MANY times before he could finally stay clean.

Would we have liked him so much if he had decided not to take Kenan Khoury's case because he knows exactly what Kenan plans to do to the murders when he finds them? I think, in spite of my aversion to the death penalty, I'd rather see an ex-cop who is willing to let the "bad guys" get what they deserve and to go into a case knowing that it's basically revenge. Of course, that opens the wider question of which criminals do we get revenge like this on? All murderers? Just some? Which ones? And I think that's a good question that comes out of the book, whether Block intended it or not.

Jenny Regalia (jennyrph) | 81 comments Excellent questions! I really agree on your assessment on peter. He had the best intentions. His addictions made him weak but still a good person. I also agree with your assessment of Matt. When he took the case, he became more real for me. I also liked Khoury. So often crime middlemen think their crimes won't touch their lives or family. What they do is wrong een if they don't get their hands dirty.

Jenny Regalia (jennyrph) | 81 comments Leslie wrote: "Something this series holds for us fans is the possibility of Matt getting "saved", yet if her were to find that redemption, would we continue to love him?

I was sorely disappointed when things ..."

unattainable man, he wouldn't be so interesting
I liked matt because of his flaws. If he were that perfect unattainable man, he wouldn't be so interesting,

Leslie (lesmorecats) | 72 comments Saw the film yesterday. Very well done.

Linda | 1490 comments I agree. I especially liked how they showed why he stopped drinking, although I thought it was his partner that he'd shot at first. And the way he met TJ is really clever. Don't know if that's the way it was in the series. As I said, this is the first one I've read so I don't know any info leading up to this.

Jenny Regalia (jennyrph) | 81 comments Is anyone going to continue to read more in the series?

Linda | 1490 comments I will. Just have to find time to do it. I think I especially want to go back to the first one and see how it all starts.

Jenny Regalia (jennyrph) | 81 comments Linda wrote: "I will. Just have to find time to do it. I think I especially want to go back to the first one and see how it all starts."

agreed!

Mary Beth  | 378 comments I've read this awhile ago and loved it! I love the Matthew Scudder (I hope I spelled it right) series. I've read most of the books in the series, and will be reading the rest of them. I just started reading. his Burglar series. Lawrence Block is an awesome author. I haven't watched the movie yet, but I will soon!

Jenny Regalia (jennyrph) | 81 comments Mary wrote: "I've read this awhile ago and loved it! I love the Matthew Scudder (I hope I spelled it right) series. I've read most of the books in the series, and will be reading the rest of them. I just starte..."
I know it is off topic, but how did you like the burglar series?

Mary Beth  | 378 comments The series is called the Bernie Rhodenbarr series. I read the first book so far, Burglars Can't Be Choosers, and I really enjoyed it and decided to read the rest of the series.

message 14: by Leslie (last edited Nov 18, 2014 12:46PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leslie (lesmorecats) | 72 comments I love all his series characters. [Why they turned Bernie Rhodenbarr into Whoopee Goldberg I'll never understand]. BUT, this particular cinema Matthew Scudder is fantastic. And I do NOT agree that Liam Neeson is too handsome for the part. [For me he could play anything from Jesus to Mephistopheles.]

Linda | 1490 comments I know what you mean about Liam Neeson. I love looking at him too, just like I love looking at Hugh Jackman (especially as Wolverine!). But I like my rugged detectives to look rugged. For instance I saw the Norwegian version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and I loved the journalist because he looked like a person I might see on the street or in my grocery store. I didn't like the American version partly because I'd NEVER run into a person like Daniel Craig unless it WAS Daniel Craig.

I've got the first Matthew Scudder (Sins of the Father) now so I'll be able to see where it all started.

Jenny Regalia (jennyrph) | 81 comments I just downloaded the first burglar book and another scudder book. love finding new series! Hugh Jackman can star in anything and I'd be happy watching him!

Jenny Regalia (jennyrph) | 81 comments just wanted to say thanks to all that have participated in this discussion! It was my first time having my recommendation selected. You guys were great!

message 18: by Ron (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ron (ronb626) | 3737 comments I read, or, rather, listened to, The Sins of the Fathers, Matthew Scudder #1, last fall and was rather disappointed by it. And, by extension, disappointed by the author, Lawrence Block.

I understand that he's well received here on Goodreads, but, that was a disappointing experience with him for me.

I started with #1 in the series, which, to me, is usually a good indicator of whether or not I'll like the series. That method hasn't failed me, yet, but I sometimes wonder when I should give an author/series a 2nd chance.

With Lawrence Block, I've decided to do just that and am wondering, with that experience, is it a good idea to jump to #10, in this case, the book in question on this forum, A Walk Among the Tombstones?

Jenny Regalia (jennyrph) | 81 comments this was the first Lawrence block book I read and I found it easy to follow.

Mary Beth  | 378 comments I've read most of the Matthew Scudder Series, and none of them were in order. I really liked this one.
Jenny, I really enjoyed discussing the book with you!

Jenny Regalia (jennyrph) | 81 comments Mary wrote: "I've read most of the Matthew Scudder Series, and none of them were in order. I really liked this one.
Jenny, I really enjoyed discussing the book with you!"

thanks!

Linda | 1490 comments Ron wrote: "I read, or, rather, listened to, The Sins of the Fathers, Matthew Scudder #1, last fall and was rather disappointed by it. And, by extension, disappointed by the author, [author:Lawre..."

Ron - I'm currently reading the first one and obviously I read A Walk Among the Tombstones. I can totally understand not liking an author that other people find popular (you're comment about Block on Goodreads). I'm not going to say that he is my favorite author, but I'm wondering about why it was that you didn't like the book or the author. Plot, characters, words, style? Just a visceral reaction?