The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Book Chat > Short Stories

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Oct 29, 2014 03:14PM) (new)

Sandy I don't often read short stories. In fact, I generally do not like them. I read Xingu for the Alphabet Soup challenge, and it was a hoot. A few other short stories by women are on the same Librivox audio download so when Xingu finished, I listened to the next one - Miss Grief, by Constance Fenimore Woolson. (It is not in the GR database, and I couldn't find out which of her collections it is in.) It is a very strange little story. I would like to listen to it again, or perhaps eyeball-read it because I think I must have missed something.

All this to say, I thought it might be nice to have a thread where we could recommend short stories or short story collections that we have enjoyed. :-)

message 2: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Renee M | 4728 comments Mod
Great idea!
I just finished several Hawthorne stories. Very enjoyable. Just the right amount of supernatural, human nature, and just a touch of creepiness.

message 3: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I enjoyed The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales which was my first ever edgar allan poe short story collection I read last year that was pretty good.

Books of Blood, Volumes One to Threeis pretty good short story collection too.

Enjoyed The Pearl that's a good short story.

A Murder of Crowsis a good horror short story collection too.

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is a good one too but I like Disney's version of it better.

message 4: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte  | 2 comments I had to read a collection of short stories as part of a reading challenge I'm doing with a friend and I was a little bit horrified. I never thought I would enjoy them, but the friend order a collection by Tobias Wolff and I really liked it. It's called The Night In Question and has about 15 or so. Definitely worth reading.