Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Karma Girl (Bigtime, #1)
This topic is about Karma Girl
Nov 2014: Mind Games/Karma Girl > Karma Girl Discussion

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mandy (new)

Mandy I'm having trouble finding this one at any local libraries and some of the reviews seem "meh."

Anyone think this one's awesome or should I pass on this month's alt? (I'd probably have to buy it!)

Katherine (masquerader888) | 22 comments I thought it was a cute a fluffy read. My review if interested If you are an ebook reader I highly suggest grabbing a sample to see if it is your thing (There is a box set, The Bigtime Series of which Karma Girl is the first book, so if you grab a sample of that you get a larger percentage of the book to go off of) Otherwise for the trade paperback price of something like $14 not really worth it IMO.

Michelle (stormfire298) | 52 comments I think the $14 paper book did not amuse me $14 worth. I got them in a bundle and felt a bit better about it. The books are amusing but I have them on my "candy book" shelf. Quick fluffy stuff. It has a bit of a different twist.

message 4: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Felicia (feliciaday) | 740 comments Mod
Feel free to pick an alt alt sometimes ppl do that!

Michelle (stormfire298) | 52 comments I think it was the second book in this series of hers I like the best. I liked her writing enough to read her assassin series afterwards.

message 6: by Michele (new)

Michele | 128 comments Geekomancy by Michael R. Underwood is a fun book with a superheroine sort of. It is written by a guy and has no romance though, just if anyone is looking for something else. The idea behind the powers was cool.

message 7: by Mandy (new)

Mandy thanks all! I'm still somewhat new to e-books and didn't know that you'd get a larger sample from the box set... VERY good to know.
I'll probably focus on the main pick when my library gets it in and then maybe check out the sample :D

Also, the synopsis of Geekomancy sounds neat Michele, thanks for the recommendation!

message 8: by Brittany (new) - added it

Brittany (nerdyspinster) | 255 comments Felicia wrote: "Feel free to pick an alt alt sometimes ppl do that!"

That's what our group (Vaginistas G+ Hangout) does! Gives us another option if anyone in our group can't do either of the official picks for whatever reason. :)

Katherine (masquerader888) | 22 comments As another Superhero suggestion for anyone looking for a different alt, Trance Trance (MetaWars, #1) by Kelly Meding was a really good read.

Ashleigh | 108 comments Karma girl was £2.5 on the kindle ( not usual for those of you who enjoy paper books I know) but I thought for £2.5 I'd give it ago!

Bonnie Walter | 3 comments I'm so early in the book but the way Estep has explained everything so far I can't get Megamind out of my head.

Michelle (stormfire298) | 52 comments Bonnie! I totally get that vibe! The other books in the series come off that way for me too! ;)

Kellios This series was very cute and over the top. They are fun reads and go by very fast. I liked them. However, I loved the Elemental Assassin series way more. I just find Gin to be more relate-able and believable than the Big Top characters.

message 14: by Meg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Meg (enginerdgirl) Mandy - I thought it was awesome. I've never read anything by Jennifer Epsted before and couldn't get the main for November from my library but this was available so thought I'd give it a try. I thought it was hilarious; the character and places names in particular are fantastic. So superhero! It was a quick read and I really really enjoyed it - will be looking for the next one in the series and the other series of hers people have talked about (Elemental Assassins?).

Kellios The first book of the Elemental Assassin series is called Spider's Bite for those who are interested.

message 16: by Sam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sam | 61 comments I thought it was cheesy, but in kind of a good way.
(view spoiler)
When I got like halfway through and the book had already reached the one month deadline, I wondered if my Kindle was glitching somehow, because I assumed that would be the climax. But then a bunch more stuff happened after that.

Ksenia | 13 comments This was a good fun read. More comic book heroes rather than Heroes.
Doesn't take itself seriously - one of the reasons to keep your identity secret is so the council can't charge you for all the horrific damage caused by super hero/villain confrontations!
Ended up reading the second in this series, less plot, more sex, and lots of condoms!

Bonnie Walter | 3 comments Ksenia what is with that, all for condoms, don't wanna read about them. I halfway expected him to disappear for a second and return as Captain Condom!

Michelle (stormfire298) | 52 comments Who knows maybe there's a captain condom in later books...>.>...<.<

Bonnie Walter | 3 comments The book was cute which is what it was suppose to be. Very predictable and not complicated at all. I was trying to do casting for this and its all animated. Take out the sex and it was a good animated kids flick.

Katie (katie_jones) | 348 comments The book was MOSTLY cute, but I had some problems with it. 1) Victim Shaming! Pg 345: Girl gets attacked by 3 rapists, and Carmen basically blames her for walking by herself at night, WHICH just happens to be exactly what she has been doing! STOP BLAMING THE VICTIM. Okay,maybe it was just friendly advice, but this girl did not NEED advice at this point. She knows.
2)Okay, we get it. Carmen believes in KARMA. Stop shoving it down our throats every paragraph! Also, sometimes, I think she misused the word. In the voice of Inigo Montoya, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
3) WHY DID NO ONE TURN IN THE RAPISTS IN THE FIRST PLACE? Big bad Striker saves Carmen and then....lets the gang-rapists go free? Batman would NOT put up with that shit.

Otherwise, it was a nice bit of fluff. I tried to see it less as literature and more as comic-book satire, which helped the less-believable moments. I was also pleasantly surprised at the complexity of the "plot" near the end. Not the book plot, lol, the Evil League of Evil's plot.

Lindsay (the_great_linzini) | 56 comments I liked the idea behind this book, but the overall execution was such a disappointment.
I understand that the story was supposed to be cheesy, but I had hoped for a lot more humor. This book just wasn't clever enough. I wish someone like Rainbow Rowell could rewrite this story and give it the punch of nerdy pop-culture humor that it desperately needs.

I bought the $9 anthology, (mistake), and I'm not sure if I'll be reading the other books or not. I'm currently on the fence.

Jennifer Crane-rosset | 104 comments This was cute and fun. I giggled when it was hitting so many of the super hero tropes. I got annoyed with Carmen because she was supposed to be all awesome at figuring out the secret identities and I knew who everyone one as soon as hero/alter ego of everyone was mentioned. Not a very clever naming scheme, but still, fun.

message 24: by Shelley (new) - added it

Shelley | 39 comments I looked at the other books in the series to see who the heroine in each would be. I was disappointed that of the next three, none feature LuLu. She was, by far, my favorite character in the book.

message 25: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Mintz | 19 comments I am not very far into the book yet. So far, the level of writing is pretty good and easy enough to follow. It's so over the top! As such, I picture it as happening in sort of comic strip/graphic novel style. It helps to visualize it and take it more seriously (if that makes sense). I got the 4-book series on Kindle for $9.99 since it would ultimately be less expensive than buying all one at a time.

message 26: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen | 1 comments I also loved LuLu. I imagine her with an awesome Dr. X chair. I was really hoping she would get the spotlight in the series at some point :(

Ashleigh | 108 comments I personally wouldn't recommend the book or buy the series ... Saying that i enjoyed this book but much like I enjoy watching a tv show with someone who loves the show ...it's fun and entertaining but just not something I'd watch or read again unless prompt

Ashleigh | 108 comments I personally wouldn't recommend the book or buy the series ... Saying that i enjoyed this book but much like I enjoy watching a tv show with someone who loves the show ...it's fun and entertaining but just not something I'd watch or read again unless prompt

message 29: by Leah (new) - rated it 2 stars

Leah | 25 comments I found the plot and characters to be predictable and a bit boring but the story progressed at a fast enough pace for me to want to stick with it. I ended up liking the humor in the way the author handled superhero tropes i.e. alliterative names and mu-ha-ha villains. The few steamy scenes were good but a bit short. I liked it but not enough to read more in the series.

message 30: by Carolyn-anne (new)

Carolyn-anne Templeton | 27 comments These were fun books. Not great literature, but fun. For anyone who, like me, thought Karma was a wet-noodle and Striker a wet mop - the next two books characters are Fiona and Bella, who are waaay more fun. Bella in particular. But that could be cause I fell in-geek-love with her clueless love interest.

Gunnhildur Rúnarsdóttir (grafarholt) | 173 comments A fun story, a bit predictable but I was okay with that. I liked it a lot more than Mind Games.

I loved the characters, heroes and villains alike. It was a quick read and I might look into reading the rest of this series.

message 32: by Michele (new)

Michele | 128 comments I thought I saw/heard somewhere that Veronica was going to do a video chat about this book - did I hallucinate? Or is that closer to the end of the month?

message 33: by Shelley (new) - added it

Shelley | 39 comments Michele wrote: "I thought I saw/heard somewhere that Veronica was going to do a video chat about this book - did I hallucinate? Or is that closer to the end of the month?"

I know she's going to blog about it. Not sure about a video.

message 34: by Jordan (last edited Nov 21, 2014 08:26PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jordan (jordan_lusink) I don't think I saw anybody else post about this, but I was super annoyed by the (view spoiler) that Carmen kept throwing around. It was like the author thought her readers were going to lose track of who was who.

Edited to hide identity spoilers, just in case.

Whitney | 221 comments This was super cheesy and full of tropes, but I liked it better than the main pick. It's a perfect fun, quick, light read. I will definitely keep the rest of the series in mind when I am looking for something light.

Laura (theloudlady) | 180 comments I think Veronica's vlog on this book was spot on.

I hated Carmen's t-shirts and the karma concept was way over used.

I feel like it needs to be edited to a short story.

message 37: by Kayla (new) - rated it 1 star

Kayla Turner (plainkayla) | 78 comments Okay, this needs to be said before my review gets going.
I LOVE cheesy books, "candy" reads, quick flip-through just-for-fun ebooks to give my mind a break.
This book made my brain hurt, in the worst sort of way.

First, there is the name alliteration that happens with almost every character.
"Fiona Fine" "Joanna James" "Kelly Caleb" "Morgana Madison" "Sam Sloane"
It was just way too much to be a nod to the lighthearted comics of earlier times.
Did anyone else notice the symphony guy being named "Mr. Muzicale"???? It was such a lazy way to write a name that was only mentioned once. Needless to say, I did not find it cute or clever.

On the subject of names, "freezoray" and "explodium" made the list of words in the book that made me say UGH every time I read them. Just like calling a pill a blah-blah-DIMINISHER does not make it fancy or scientific.

I liked the idea of Lulu's character, and the way she reminded me of Batgirl. I did not find it plausible that, after arranging for Carmen to be given supplies by a third party that Lulu waves it off saying "Oh no, this one's on me" after stipulating she had to pay a certain amount.
(view spoiler)

I found the sexy times pretty steamy but the rest of the book that involved Carmen's whole "he loves me! He loves me not!" pendulum of emotion very played out and boring.
(view spoiler)

There were things I enjoyed with this book, but those moments were not enough to redeem the book from all of its faults.