Historical Fiction Books discussion

Under a Dark Star (The Dark Moon Series #2)
This topic is about Under a Dark Star
Anna Faversham - Under a Dark Star - 0.99 until 11th August or FREE on Kindle Unlimited

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) Here's an excerpt from

One Dark Night by Anna Faversham

Lucy has arrived at the farmhouse where she works and finds someone who can make her blush just by being there.

"To reach the porridge on the stove, Lucy had to pass Daniel and the dog, and neither moved. Rather than squeeze between him on her left and the kitchen table, she walked around the other side, collecting a bowl as she went. Still Daniel did not make way for her. “I would be obliged, Mr Tynton, if you would move just enough for me to reach the pot.”
“Say that again and I’ll move.”
Lucy raised her eyes to meet his sparkling blue ones. He was jesting. “Why?”
“I like to hear you talk.”
“Why?” Lucy wondered if it was wise to hold her ground now that Daniel was no longer a boy.
“It’s good to see you’ve still a lot of fight in you, Lucy. I’ve been hearing a few tales.” He nodded his head in the direction of the scullery. “But I can hold out longer and I’ll not move until you say that again for me.”
“Why?” The word had come out quicker than she’d intended. Should she play these games with someone who held her livelihood in his hands?
Daniel took hold of her frozen hand. Lucy withdrew it and immediately regretted her instinctive reaction. His eyes had not left her since she’d walked through the door and her nerve was failing. “You don’t talk like the rest of us round here. I’ve missed your voice and, like me Ma says, you sound like you’re from the gentry.”
He meant it. Lucy could see that gentle look appearing in his eyes, the one she took to bed with her and to her sanctuary on the cliffs, the look which warmed her and fought to stay in her fading stock of cherished memories. Playfully, Lucy dropped him a curtsey and said, “Kind sir, I would be obliged if you would move just enough for me to reach the pot.”

I hope you will root for Lucy who is having a tough time, fall in love with someone, and enjoy this tale of smuggling in 1821.

message 2: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) Do you find choices difficult? So does Lucy.

Kindle Countdown Deal starts today for:

One Dark Night by Anna Faversham

It is 1821 and smuggling is rife on the English coast. Lucy Yorton, dragged away from her privileged, comfortable surroundings into this cruel world, finds her problems increase when two men enter her life.

Lieutenant Karl Thorsen, sworn to avenge the death of his father, is a King's man. He is determined to stop the violent smugglers, hang them, and hang and gibbet one in particular.

Daniel Tynton has smuggling in his blood. When he and Lucy witness the torture of a customs' officer, he makes a decision that changes the futures of them all.

99p/99c until next Tuesday, 5th May.

message 3: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) One Dark Night by Anna Faversham

"A great read! I love all the historical detail and I learnt much about smugglers. It's fast paced, and it really grips you until the end. The characters are very well portrayed. I was sorry to finish the book, always the sign of a good story." Amazon reviewer

Last day at 99p/99c - Tuesday 5th May.

message 4: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) Journey into a dark world where all the conflict points to one cruel and ruthless man - the Dark Star. This is the sequel to One Dark Night but stands alone.

“She uses language expertly and the result is an immersive experience for the reader. I can’t stress enough how reading this book was like gazing through a window to a bygone era filled with smugglers, scoundrels, gentlemen, and heroes.” Amazon Customer

Excerpt: Opening of chapter one

Karl Thorsen arrived, as usual, like a drum roll prior to battle.

Dismounting from his black stallion, he flung the reins around the hitching post and strode across to the open door of the early Georgian farmhouse.

“I need your help.”

“Another impossible task you wish to undertake?” Daniel Tynton dipped his head in greeting to his old foe, now promoted to almost a friend. “What is it this time?”

Karl gave him a wry smile and stamped his feet impatiently after his long, cold ride. “All that it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Would you agree?”

Daniel, a little taller and fairer than Karl, stood aside to allow him to enter. “A notion you have acquired from your Parliamentary friends?”
~

So what does this tell you? That Karl and Daniel are no longer enemies. That Karl is still fighting fit and is now involved with Parliament in some way. That Daniel is, as ever, comfortably laid-back and used to Karl’s crusades. That two good men are about to embark on a perilous adventure.

And for only 0.99 you can go with them. ;-) I should take your rain coat if I were you.

Under a Dark Star by Anna Faversham