Book Assassins discussion

Book Discussions > We Were Liars

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dory (new)

Dory (fishthatreads) I have already read and finished this book sometime in october... and i still think about soo much. It always comes up somehow. I just loved the book. Every little thing. It was so smart. so. Good.

I still cry sometimes.

Sadly, this is not a book you can reread without knowing what happens at the end. Because knowing what happens changes the entire way you look at the book.

To the reading-ATM people. Enjoy it. Love it. I did. YOu will. Fall into the Sinclair life.

message 2: by Dory (new)

Dory (fishthatreads) Since im so loyal to the book. read about the book and digest every word. Because as soon as you reach the last 40 pages or so, everything changes. So get your tissues. And dont skip ahead.

One sentence could spoil everything.
Its like checking the blurb for the next book before reading it and you discover that a character is still alive when you are on the pages of doubt to be alive of the prequel. Doesnt ruin the book. BUT RUINS THE EMOTIONS.

message 3: by Dory (new)

Dory (fishthatreads) So where are you with We Were Liars?

message 4: by Marina (new)

Marina  (_kellie_k) I just started it and I have a really important (and probably dumb) question, BUT, are Cadence and Gat related?

message 5: by Marina (new)

Marina  (_kellie_k) Okay. I had to re read the section introducing him a couple of times and I just couldn't figure it out.

message 6: by Dory (new)

Dory (fishthatreads) Gat is the son of Carries boyfriend.
Carrie is Johnny's mother.

message 7: by Dory (new)

Dory (fishthatreads) Leigh wrote: "No, Gat is a friend of Johnny's, or more so, he's the nephew of Ed who is with Carrie at the time. It is kind of confusing, but they are not related.

I'm on p. 156."

Pages numbers mean nothing. I meant like the scene.

message 8: by Marina (new)

Marina  (_kellie_k) I just finished it. It was... Unexpected to say the least. Not my favorite book but not my least favorite either.

message 9: by Dory (new)

Dory (fishthatreads) Did you cry? :D

message 10: by Marina (new)

Marina  (_kellie_k) No I didn't. I usually don't cry during books though. It was sad though.

message 11: by Dory (new)

Dory (fishthatreads) I cried. I like crying in books.

message 12: by Marina (new)

Marina  (_kellie_k) I just didn't feel connected to Cadence enough to really feel bad for her you know? Like it was her own fault.

message 13: by Dory (new)

Dory (fishthatreads) I did feel connected to Cadence, but i felt more connection with the others. Plus considering that well, (view spoiler) it just had impact. Fall in love with them and then this.

message 14: by Dory (new)

Dory (fishthatreads) Leigh wrote: ""Pages numbers mean nothing. I meant like the scene."

I was going to put it, but I didn't want to give anything away, but I just realized that would've been the perfect chance to use a spoiler, ha..."

(view spoiler)

message 15: by Dory (new)

Dory (fishthatreads) mehhhhh can see spoilers on my phone for some reason

message 16: by Dory (new)

Dory (fishthatreads) Did you read it yet? Did ya? :D

message 17: by Marina (new)

Marina  (_kellie_k) Finish it!!

message 18: by Dory (new)

Dory (fishthatreads) HURRY UP

so far its just the three of us
and i don't know the exact order of events
and i really want to discuss
and i dont want to spoil it
and i dont like using the (view spoiler) thing much
and i... yeah

message 19: by Dory (new)

Dory (fishthatreads) you damn well should be.
damn well you should
yeah

message 20: by Dory (new)

Dory (fishthatreads) Same

A) I hate how since it was such a dramatic plot twist. Ill never be able to feel the emotions as well if i re-read it. I hate it. Ill never feel it again ;( BUT I WANT TO!

B) Any discussion ideas?

message 21: by Marina (new)

Marina  (_kellie_k) Let's discuss the Sinclair family dynamics. Specifically, what a racist, manipulative douchebag the grandfather was.

message 22: by Marina (new)

Marina  (_kellie_k) Oh crap guys sorry my comment posted like 10 times. I'm so sorry.

message 23: by Dory (new)

Dory (fishthatreads) Yeah, i was like... whoah

alright, i haven't read this book in w few weeks so. Its not crystal to me.

The grandfather wasn't directly racist to the other races. But he showed ti to the family really well. And Gat.

Especially how he threatened to remove all their inheritance if the one aunt married Gats Uncle. I hated that. That was incredibly rude. But if she really loved that guy, like how he did that engagement thing with the kids/teens, she would have lost the inheritance for him. It is a book after all, but it shows how the aunt don't really love him... or maybe she did it for her son, so he wouldn't loose the inheritance... was it?

Names fell out sorry.

message 24: by Dory (new)

Dory (fishthatreads) He didn't exactly prevent her, he said that she would inherit nothing and loose her position as a Sinclair kind of thing. Either way it was crazy. Like they said. All blonde, all dainty, beautiful, posh, white, american etc... he wanted them to be the Sinclair he believes. That's why Cady dyed her hair black. To not be a "Sinclair".

message 25: by Marina (new)

Marina  (_kellie_k) The girls had such a bad father it's not a surprise that they ended up marrying men who treated them just as badly.

message 26: by Dory (new)

Dory (fishthatreads) Kellie wrote: "The girls had such a bad father it's not a surprise that they ended up marrying men who treated them just as badly."

I dont think Ed was bad.

message 27: by Marina (new)

Marina  (_kellie_k) Who was Ed?

message 28: by Dory (new)

Dory (fishthatreads) Gats Uncle, the boyfriend of Johnnys Mother.

message 29: by Dory (new)

Dory (fishthatreads) I don't thing Ed even went for a summer there. Like Carrie was hiding him from the grandpa. Only Gat came by as far as i know.

message 30: by Marina (new)

Marina  (_kellie_k) I don't think he came back after that though. He could tell that the family didn't like him.

message 31: by Marina (new)

Marina  (_kellie_k) Who would? I really disliked the Sinclair family.

message 32: by Dory (new)

Dory (fishthatreads) I disliked the elder part of the family. The kids were fine. Like the liars and their younger siblings.

I don't know why Ed stayed with Carrie. Why? She obviously didn't love him enough, he would have known. Probably dumbfounded by what he believed was "love"

message 33: by Marina (new)

Marina  (_kellie_k) Leigh wrote: "You're probably right. The feeling of love sometimes prevents people from seeing reality or problems. But maybe there's more to the story than what we know? I don't know if that might even be possi..."

Dory wrote: "I disliked the elder part of the family. The kids were fine. Like the liars and their younger siblings.

I don't know why Ed stayed with Carrie. Why? She obviously didn't love him enough, he would ..."

I think that Ed was in love with the idea that was Carrie. She came from this rich, very well to do family that owned an island. She had lots of money and things. Ed may have thought he loved Carrie but I think he mostly loved what she had because she treated him like crap and if he hadn't seen some financial gain in it, he wouldn't have stayed.
Regardless, I can't believe she turned him down because she was afraid of not being rich anymore.

message 34: by Marina (new)

Marina  (_kellie_k) Leigh wrote: "I understand that, but at the same time, if that's all he cared about, he must have been okay with getting turned down. If Carrie explained about the inheritance, he would have been, "Oh, if she ma..."

I think so. The parents in the family were just so wrapped up in their obsession with money. I think that if the grandfather had given his money away, the family would've split up. I don't think they really care for each other that much. The Liars cared for each other to a point, but not enough to actually talk to each other the rest of the year.

message 35: by Dory (new)

Dory (fishthatreads) Leigh wrote: "I understand that, but at the same time, if that's all he cared about, he must have been okay with getting turned down. If Carrie explained about the inheritance, he would have been, "Oh, if she ma..."

I don't believe Ed wanted to marry her for money. It could be. But i disagree. And with the turning down because of money thing. Highly believable, all the three aunts did was argue over who gets what on the island, who deserves more etc.. also Carrie was a stuck of nose kind of mother. most stuck of of the three in my opinion.. so it made sense for her to take her fathers threat seriously.

message 36: by Marina (new)

Marina  (_kellie_k) Leigh wrote: "I understand that, but at the same time, if that's all he cared about, he must have been okay with getting turned down. If Carrie explained about the inheritance, he would have been, "Oh, if she ma..."

I think so. I don't think Ed was that well off was he? I don't remember exactly what the book said but I'm thinking they were lower middle class?

message 37: by Dory (new)

Dory (fishthatreads) Kellie wrote: "Leigh wrote: "I understand that, but at the same time, if that's all he cared about, he must have been okay with getting turned down. If Carrie explained about the inheritance, he would have been, ..."

Thats true. but it never said he was in it for he money. It more like said he really loved her. Or just did acts of love to persuade her. iono.

message 38: by Dory (new)

Dory (fishthatreads) Leigh wrote: "Personally, I think it was love and he was probably hurt by the fact that she turned down his proposal, but that's just what I think. I feel like since he had arranged for the kids to pop out and c..."

Yeah Im more onto the loving side, than the money side.